Join Early Retirement Today

31% think $250K is enough to retire on
Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

31% think $250K is enough to retire on

In line with the "scraping by on $250K" thread, it turns out that a substantial minority of wage earners feel that they can retire just fine on a $250K portfolio:

Is $250,000 in savings enough to retire? | Prism Money | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters.com

As they sling the numbers:
Quote:
... That leaves approximately $16,857 per year left to be satisfied by pension income, work income and withdrawals from investments. If we assume no work or pension income, that’s a withdrawal rate of 6.74 percent based on a $250,000 portfolio. [Editor's note: compared to the most common four percent rule of thumb.] Definitely a bit too high for comfort from a regular portfolio. But if the person annuitizes via a single premium immediate lifetime annuity, it’s not terribly outside the range of possibility.
Of course the article could also have been titled "69% aren't confident enough to retire on $250K!!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's about what I did retire on - in 1993 - back when a dollar was a dollar. At age 49.

Now - given my slashing expenses to make 'cheap SOB' seem like luxury, toss in some temp work, no health insurance, AND AND the fickle finger of fate - the 90's market. Twas easy in hindsight.

Plus I really didn't like the idea of work.

Today to make such an amount work for all season's would be more than a bit of a stretch.

heh heh heh - and that's a mild understatement. Could I do it again? Maybe on a bet but I wouldn't want too.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

What's the percentage of people who buy lottery tickets that think they'll win?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
What's the percentage of people who buy lottery tickets that think they'll win?
All of them (100%) ...

I get your point - you gotta believe!
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well you can retire on $250k if you aim for the really really low lifestyle.

using the ubiquitous 4% SWR you can have an income of $10k per year.

A big bag of beans and some varmit meat and you are set !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

looks like another thread where people dont read the entire posts. from the article
Quote:
So $30,000 appears to be a decent ballpark estimate of the 30th percentile for household income in the U.S. (We’re going for 30th percentile here so that it lines up with the idea that 31 percent of people estimate needing less than $250,000.)
If we go to the Social Security Administration’s “Quick Calculator” and plug in 1/1/1946 as a birthdate (such that they’re 65 now, and about to retire) and $30,000 as current earnings, we get a ballpark estimate of Social Security benefits of $10,848 per year.
If we assume the person ends up paying 7.65 percent less total tax (due to not having to pay payroll tax), that’s $2,295 in tax savings.
That leaves approximately $16,857 per year left to be satisfied by pension income, work income and withdrawals from investments. If we assume no work or pension income, that’s a withdrawal rate of 6.74 percent based on a $250,000 portfolio. [Editor's note: compared to the most common four percent rule of thumb.] Definitely a bit too high for comfort from a regular portfolio. But if the person annuitizes via a single premium immediate lifetime annuity, it’s not terribly outside the range of possibility.
this doesnt look all that far fetched for the income level talked about. looks like maybe all the net income from working is replaced with SS and the $250k
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #7

The article is better than most in that it at least recognizes that low income people need less money to continue their current spending.

I guess the question is "If I were earning $30k per year at a job that I didn't like, I had saved $250k (which is 8x may annual income), and I were 65, would I continue to work?"

That's a different view of what's "enough".
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

When my parents retired, they had less than $250K of liquid investment assets, counting both before and after tax categories. But they were no "Uncle Mick"!

They owned their home and a rental property, which were worth more than $500K combined. They were no early retirees, so were drawing SS and a small state pension. My father deceased, and my mother now lived alone comfortably on a total annual income of less than $30K. Again, her housing cost is minimal.

To retire early on just $250K? Well, there are always people who can or could like Uncle Mick and Jacob, but for me, it's too tough! I'd rather go to work!

PS. Actually, if I were single, had no dependents, and did not care about health insurance, a $250K portfolio may provide enough for me to park my little motorhome in the NM mountains like I often fancy myself doing to play a recluse. Heck, I am sure there are some people doing that already.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #9

For too many people retirement means a paid off house and SS. The concept of a retirement nestegg has illuded them.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quite a few people in my family retired with SS, a paid off home and not much else. They never made a lot of money to start with (<$20K per year), so they are doing quite well in retirement despite having <$100K in savings.

But things are getting tighter for them. Their SS income is indexed on general inflation but, with such a low budget, their expenses are overwhelmingly food- and energy-related. As a result, their purchasing power has eroded quite a bit over the past 3-4 years.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sad isn't it?

Of course, they could be taking the position that $250k is more comfortable than the $35 k they have now!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
PS. Actually, if I were single, had no dependents, and did not care about health insurance, a $250K portfolio may provide enough for me to park my little motorhome in the NM mountains like I often fancy myself doing to play a recluse. Heck, I am sure there are some people doing that already.
There are quite a few of them here:

VanDwellers : "Live in your Van 2"
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hmm...

I only look at the 1st picture shown on that Web link, but it surely does not portray a serene lifestyle like I imagine on Walden Pond.

Something is wrong here!

PS. This is more what I am talking about here!

Note: picture linked in from Andy Baird's Web site (Upgrade frenzy)

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #14

Nosiree, I'm not gonna work for the man no more ! You're not gonna git me up in one of those office buildins' Nosiree ! Nobody's gonna tell me what to Do ! Nosiree !

Not when I can retire right now !

< Attached are images of the summer and winter palaces as well as the land yacht>

I did have one question though. What should I do with my extra money ?

Should I pay down the house or should I invest it ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inexpensive_housing.jpg (36.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg trailer2.jpg (83.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Inexpensive_transportation.jpg (62.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hmm...

I only look at the 1st picture shown on that Web link, but it surely does not portray a serene lifestyle like I imagine on Walden Pond.

Something is wrong here!
Yeah, tell me about it. That first pic makes me think of a modern day "Grapes of Wrath", or that movie where David Carradine played Woody Guthrie!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Nosiree, I'm not gonna work for the man no more ! You're not gonna git me up in one of those office buildins' Nosiree ! Nobody's gonna tell me what to Do ! Nosiree !

Not when I can retire right now !

< Attached are images of the summer and winter palace as well as the land yacht>
Wow, livin large there...that Caprice is two-tone AND has whitewalls!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Wow, livin large there...that Caprice is two-tone AND has whitewalls!
Well, after carefully examining my expenses, I ran the numbers at least a hundred times to make sure that I won't run short.

I used a conservative SWR cause I don't know about what the future holds. In the end I concluded that I have enough to live without puttin' up with all the office politics and all tha t suckin' up to the boss.

I'm free now to live my life on my terms !

You too can retire now ! The good life awaits you.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #18

Oh, as for $250K? I think that's about what my grandmother has saved up. She's 87 now. However, she gets a pension, plus social security, plus my deceased Granddad's pension and SS. I think she gets around $40,000 per year.

Granddad retired way back in 1971. Grandmom retired at the end of 1980, but went back to work because she's a bit of a work-aholic. Worked off and on until 1994, when she turned 70.

I have no idea what kind of a nest egg they had saved up back in the day. Neither one really went all that high on the career ladder. Granddad was federal gov't, but some kind of wage grade or whatever they call it. Worked on a gov't farm. Only had a 6th grade education, but could do just about anything he needed to, farm-related, build a house, repair it, and do just about anything to a car that it needed, at least until emissions controls got too hot and heavy! I think Grandmom made it to GS-7 or GS-8 in the federal gov't.

They just never spent a lot of money and were happy with the simple things in life. I'm sure if it wasn't for those pensions though, that $250K wouldn't be there. Or, at least would be much smaller.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Well, after carefully examining my expenses, I ran the numbers at least a hundred times to make sure that I won't run short.

I used a conservative SWR cause I don't know about what the future holds. In the end I concluded that I have enough to live without puttin' up with all the office politics and all tha t suckin' up to the boss.

I'm free now to live my life on my terms !

You too can retire now ! The good life awaits you.
Oh, I gotta confess, I have something similar to that sitting in my yard. Just with a Mopar slant!

Heck, I even made the same mistake twice!!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

31% also believe in witches.
WHO Believes in Reincarnation? - Netscape Home & Living