Join Early Retirement Today

Re: $315M Powerball Winner is now broke
Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey
I play when the amount is over $75M. I read somewhere that it is "worth it" if the jackpot is over $80M or something - can't find the link right now...

I just do it for fun. If I spend $20 on it a year, it's not going to impact my FIRE plans!

Karen
I've never understood that argument. Your odds of winning are no better when it's 75M than if it's 1M. And the ROI is so amazing even at 1M, that there's no point waiting for a super jackpot. Either it's a math tax or it's not

And I shouldn't feel so bad - the lottery paid about 3k of my college education. It'll take me many years of losing before I even am in the red.
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's a "Jackpot x chance of winning (in decimal form) > $1 argument. That is, if you have one in 80 million chance of winning, and the jackpot is 81 million, a ticket is worth slightly more than $1. Putting tax/lump sum/leeching relatives aside, of course.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to play the lottery when I worked. I alway joined in the office pools because I knew it they ever won and I was not in, I would be so bitter for the rest of my life! It was more like insurance than a lottery ticket.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon
I've never understood that argument. Your odds of winning are no better when it's 75M than if it's 1M. And the ROI is so amazing even at 1M, that there's no point waiting for a super jackpot. Either it's a math tax or it's not

And I shouldn't feel so bad - the lottery paid about 3k of my college education. It'll take me many years of losing before I even am in the red.
The way I looked at it was I most likely would have to share the jackpot. In my case I'd have to cut the 10 mil in half. Then take out taxes and the lump sum penalty and that leaves me with about 2.5 mil to play with. I would be able to pay off all my loans, fix or replace the things that need it, and give to my favorite charity. I could then use the rest to retire comfortably and live on a very safe 3% and continue to have my nestegg grow. I could retire on less, but then I'd have to watch my spending and investing rather than living carefree.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I think it's a "Jackpot x chance of winning (in decimal form) > $1 argument. That is, if you have one in 80 million chance of winning, and the jackpot is 81 million, a ticket is worth slightly more than $1. Putting tax/lump sum/leeching relatives aside, of course.
I think they do a NPV calculation or something...

Karen
Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

When I win the lottery tonight here in Minnesota (approx. $240 mil) I will let you all know EXACTLY how it works!!!
SolidA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Some statisticians wrote a paper on this a few years ago. I think they looked at powerball, the expected value of a Powerball ticket rose to about 85 cents on the dollar at the 80-100 million range, then tapered off above that as the chances of having multiple winners increased. I recall the "base" expected value as being around 25 cents (i.e. for all the prizes besides the jackpot) and then the jackpot EV peaked at another 60 cents on top of that.

So: comparable odds to a slot machine, plus the entertainment value, makes it worth it to me to play small stakes by diversifying my portfolio.
work4beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
I used to play the lottery when I worked. I alway joined in the office pools because I knew it they ever won and I was not in, I would be so bitter for the rest of my life! It was more like insurance than a lottery ticket.
I joined our office pool. I figure if the VP and both of his directors are in it and two of them are PhD econometricians then we have to be winners.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
I joined our office pool. I figure if the VP and both of his directors are in it and two of them are PhD econometricians then we have to be winners.
Really?..........So how did that work out?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Ask me again after the Powerball results are announced.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:29 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I won...........

oops! wrong data, i got confused with the combination lock at the beach club.

nothing beats hard work and savings ....

"no such thing as short cuts "

FCS
1936-2002
Old 02-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, I didn't win last time. But I just bought $4 more in tickets for the drawing on Tuesday. After I win you guys can help me invest it 8)
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

The guy got beat up.
His grandaughter and her friend overdosed on drugs.
Just goes to prove that money does not provide for happy endings.
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #54

He was featured on a TV show "curse of the Lottery" with numerous other jackpot winners who failed to manage their winnings wisely. This other guy from Texas shot himself dead and a few others blew all their winnings while ruining their lives.

This Whittaker guy was robed twice when he left a suitcase with a half a million dollars in cash in his parked SUV........ Talk about stupid. The lottery commission should have assigned him a guardian before they gave him the money........
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey
I think they do a NPV calculation or something...
You compare the cost of the ticket to:

the present value of the after-tax discounted cash flow, multiplied by your chance of winning, and discounted by the chance that you may have to share the winnings with a second or even third winning ticket. If the value of all this discounted stuff is still greater than the cost of the ticket, then the expected present value of the investment is positive and it could be looked upon as a good investment even by those who aren't math-challenged. You will probably find plenty of other investments that look better from a financial point of view, but perhaps not from a daydream point of view! And in fact, the daydream ads are probably the most effective ones in selling lottery tickets!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout
He was featured on a TV show "curse of the Lottery" with numerous other jackpot winners who failed to manage their winnings wisely. This other guy from Texas shot himself dead and a few others blew all their winnings while ruining their lives.

This Whittaker guy was robed twice when he left a suitcase with a half a million dollars in cash in his parked SUV........ Talk about stupid. The lottery commission should have assigned him a guardian before they gave him the money........
There's interesting theories about this. One is that unless people change their self-image they will always revert to the mean, i.e. how much money do I deserve to have? If they feel that they deserve to live a wealthy lifestyle, and believe they are meant to be wealthy but are temporarily poor then winning the lottery will give them a chance to do the things they were meant to do, whatever that is. But if they are living hand-to-mouth and have a scarcity mindset, then winning the lottery will become an uncomfortable experience and they will subconsciously do things to go back to a lifestyle that they are more in sync with, i.e hand-to-mouth.

I doubt it has much to do with being educated in personal finance or how to handle money. That would be the easy part. The psychological part is the deep, twisty area.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
There's interesting theories about this. One is that unless people change their self-image they will always revert to the mean, i.e. how much money do I deserve to have? If they feel that they deserve to live a wealthy lifestyle, and believe they are meant to be wealthy but are temporarily poor then winning the lottery will give them a chance to do the things they were meant to do, whatever that is. But if they are living hand-to-mouth and have a scarcity mindset, then winning the lottery will become an uncomfortable experience and they will subconsciously do things to go back to a lifestyle that they are more in sync with, i.e hand-to-mouth.

I doubt it has much to do with being educated in personal finance or how to handle money. That would be the easy part. The psychological part is the deep, twisty area.
A few know what they want to do:

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/26/St...ner_was_.shtml

Sheelah Ryan, who won a then-record $55.1-million in 1988.
Ryan, of Seminole County, died in 1994 at age 69 after spending a generous portion of her winnings on setting up a charitable foundation that helps abused woman, gives scholarships to young adults, pays for job training programs and provides Meals on Wheels for the elderly.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
There's interesting theories about this. One is that unless people change their self-image they will always revert to the mean, i.e. how much money do I deserve to have? If they feel that they deserve to live a wealthy lifestyle, and believe they are meant to be wealthy but are temporarily poor then winning the lottery will give them a chance to do the things they were meant to do, whatever that is.
By that logic I'm still about nine figures short of achieving my potential.

Maybe 10 figures!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote