Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I currently have 5 yr. PenFed CD's coming due in December that are earning 3.04%. Have a local bank BMO Harris currently offering 5yr. CD's at 3%. I think you have to be an Illinois or Indiana resident. I know it is not December yet but I am wondering is it wise to do another 5yr. CD at 3%?
Our 5 year CD at Penfed will due in 1/31/19. I am thinking about rolling over to a one-year CD @2.07% when it is due. There are plenty of time before making any kind of decision.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Our 5 year CD at Penfed will due in 1/31/19. I am thinking about rolling over to a one-year CD @2.07% when it is due. There are plenty of time before making any kind of decision.
You'll likely be able to get 2.5%-2.75% at the time for one year.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
You'll likely be able to get 2.5%-2.75% at the time for one year.
Only time will tell. I think a lot of us here are in the same boat. It pays for us to keep and eye out and inform each other.

I think between us here on the ER and Boggleheads Forums, combined we probably own a fair chunk of PenFed... It would be somewhat amusing to see how much we had combined in PenFed 3% CDs.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
If anyone opens up one of these CDs please post back your experience.

I am a little leery since often times if it sounds too good to be true then something is not right. I am not even aware of a 3%, 5 year CD (presently) so 4% seems out of the ordinary.
I kinda skipped over this since I'm not in one of the listed states and don't wish to join another association just to get this deal. Rates are on the rise in general, after all. Curiosity go the best of me so I finally followed the link to get some details....I'm very surprised no one mentioned this requirement:

Deal Summary: 64-month Certificate Special, 4.00% APY, $500 minimum deposit of new money, per member deposit limit of $250k new money and $100k existing money.

So by the time you put 100k in at some lower rate, it dilutes the higher rate down to something well below what's available elsewhere.
No Thanks.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post

Deal Summary: 64-month Certificate Special, 4.00% APY, $500 minimum deposit of new money, per member deposit limit of $250k new money and $100k existing money.

To me, this means you are limited to 100K of money already at the bank (in checking account for example) and a limit of $250K of money from some other institution.

So If you have $150K at that CU, in a checking account or some other CD you can break, you can only put $100K towards the 4% CD.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #26

Funny how it can be interpreted differently. I see it as $350K maximum. $250K from new (outside) money + $100K from money already in the CU. BTW, That is beyond the NCUA protected account limits of $250K (for single owner).

(edit) It probably is $250k max combined. And then there is the fine print: "Fees could reduce earnings."
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #27

Looks like PenFed is taking notice. Per Deposit Accounts, they are offering a 2.07 percent 1 year CD now. Minimum is only $1,000.

ETA: 18 months at 2.22 percent and 2.33 percent for a two year term.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I’m not ready to commit to 5 years yet. And most of my CDs are coming due at year end, although most of them are short term no penalty.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Funny how it can be interpreted differently. I see it as $350K maximum. $250K from new (outside) money + $100K from money already in the CU. BTW, That is beyond the NCUA protected account limits of $250K (for single owner).

(edit) It probably is $250k max combined. And then there is the fine print: "Fees could reduce earnings."
I think it means $250K limit for a new account. If you already have an amount, the amount is limited to $100K for this deal. Thus, the maximum is limited to $250K.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’m not ready to commit to 5 years yet. And most of my CDs are coming due at year end, although most of them are short term no penalty.
This is a good approach as the short-term CDs (1-3 years) have been escalating in yield extremely rapidly (in relative terms). 5-year has been slowly creeping higher, and 10-year has essentially done nothing.

Acknowledging that I have absolutely no idea how quickly the rates will continue to rise, or when they may stop, I'm just nibbling every time the rates nudge higher. I won't go all-in, nor put a major wad in to any single maturity at this time - that is, unless I get a terrific deal, which periodically happens. But to reiterate your view - there is little benefit to locking in a longer term rate at this time.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
NFCU 32 mo special (2.75 apy) is working out nicely for me. The term is less than 3 yrs and I can "reserve" the rate with only $50 and add to it later if better rates are not available when other certificates mature.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
To me, this means you are limited to 100K of money already at the bank (in checking account for example) and a limit of $250K of money from some other institution.

So If you have $150K at that CU, in a checking account or some other CD you can break, you can only put $100K towards the 4% CD.
Yeah, I mis-read it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:34 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I was on the website, is that special gone? I can not find it.
Thank you
jw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
NFCU 32 mo special (2.75 apy) is working out nicely for me. The term is less than 3 yrs and I can "reserve" the rate with only $50 and add to it later if better rates are not available when other certificates mature.
In a couple months 2.75% for 24 months will be the rate everyone is offering.

Do not plow in to any single maturity in this environment - rates are racing higher.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:27 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw72 View Post
I was on the website, is that special gone? I can not find it.
Thank you
My daughter was going to move money there yesterday and it was no longer available.
SonofCohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw72 View Post
I was on the website, is that special gone? I can not find it. Thank you
This special ended COB Friday, 3/9. They are honoring the 4% rate if you got the application in before then and were still in the process of funding it.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I will miss my PenFed 3% CDs. They have given me bragging rights for nearly 5 years.

I would not go out five years at this point since it seems to me we are at the start of a steady increase in interest rates. It looks like we old folks will not be subsidizing the cheap mortgages for the youngster for much longer. Sorry kids.

Most likely I will be rolling my PenFed CD's into a ladder of 3, 6, 12 and 24 month CD's.

Keep in mind that I have been wrong about the direction of interest rates for nearly a decade. It seems I can't predict them any better than I can predict the stock market. Who would have guessed?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I will miss my PenFed 3% CDs. They have given me bragging rights for nearly 5 years.
If I do a quick search for 5 year CDs on depositaccounts.com I see four credit unions just on the first page offering a 3% rate.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I will miss my PenFed 3% CDs.
PenFed 5 year CD rates are currently in the 2.7% range. I doubt the CU will be willing to hear the giant sucking sound of all those deposits being withdrawn at year end, so I expect (hope?) they will once again offer a year-end special on rates.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I spent a week trying to reach them to ask a couple questions and got zero response to two phone calls and three message sent through their contact form. Good riddance. I’ll wait for rates to rise.