Join Early Retirement Today

Re: $4 Gas - Here We Come
Old 09-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswswein
Hurricane Katrina Update: LOOP Unloading First Tanker
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050901/16089.html?.v=1
Gas is high not for lack of oil, but rather for lack of refining capacity... as Bush said, 'those are factories that make gasoline'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050901/..._refineries_dc

Quote:
The government warned on Thursday that some U.S. refineries shut by Hurricane Katrina may not resume processing oil for several months ...
"Some refineries likely (will be) able to restart their operations within the next 1 to 2 weeks, while others will likely be down for a more extended period, possibly several months," the Energy Information Administration said.

The Energy Department's analytical arm said nine major oil refineries in Louisiana and Mississippi remained shut from the hurricane. Those refineries account for about 11 percent of total U.S. refining capacity.

"Unlike 2004's Hurricane Ivan, which affected oil production facilities and had a lasting impact on crude oil production in the Gulf of Mexico, it appears that Hurricane Katrina may have a more lasting impact on refinery production and the distribution system," the EIA said in its most recent update on the effects of the hurricane on the energy sector.

I fully expect this to be a very expensive winter.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sure glad he explained that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just hoping the $4 price is delayed until Oct. Once I am fire'd, who cares ... no more commute.

Yahooo! I can watch the commuters out my family room window.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Just hoping the $4 price is delayed until Oct.* Once I am fire'd, who cares ... no more commute.
A year ago I changed jobs and switched my 25 mile commute to a 3 mile commute.* My wife also used to have a 25 mile commute and she is now retired.* I switched my truck for a compact car and have felt pretty good about the small amount of gas I buy these days.* However, when I lived in Scotland 20 years ago I used to cycle 6 miles to work, up and down some BIG hills, so that my wife could have the 2 door sub-compact to drive the kids to school etc.

After moving here we bought bikes as it is a pedestrian friendly place with bike trails everywhere, and outdoor market style places where people go to eat and have coffee etc.* (not what we expected in a town 20 miles north of the airport in Houston)

If gas keeps on rising, I'll seriously have to consider cycling again.* May be when the weather cools down a little, but then I won't be able to come home for lunch so easliy ......
Old 09-02-2005, 07:47 PM   #45

Alan - you're doing your part for sure. When you biked in Scotland did you wear anything under the kilt? or did you have a way to keep it from flapping in the breeze?

By the way I filled up tonight at 2.99 outside of Minneapolis - only car in the station... While there the BP gasoline truck driver was pumping more into the ground.
I put on my cub reporter's hat and found that:
1. Price will fluctuate because of global supply-demand (I made him promise they weren't doing any more gouging than they normally do)
2. BP gets the oil used in the Twin Cities out of wells in Montana - refined in Mandan North Dakota. Will not be short of gas.
3. Expect price to fall this week about .20
4. On way back from dinner the posted price was 2.89 ..darn it!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Alan - you're doing your part for sure. When you biked in Scotland did you wear anything under the kilt?* or did you have a way to keep it from flapping in the breeze?
I'll tell you - those 18 months living in Scotland (SW coast - Dumfries) were darn cold and wet. By the time we moved back to England, webbing had begun to grow between our fingers.

I filled up yesterday evening in Port Arthur, Texas for $2.49/gal and was very pleased to catch it that low. It will be 2 - 3 weeks at least before I need to fill up again so I'm hoping gas is flowing again by then.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I'll tell you - those 18 months living in Scotland (SW coast - Dumfries) were darn cold and wet.* By the time we moved back to England, webbing had begun to grow between our fingers.

I filled up yesterday evening in Port Arthur, Texas for $2.49/gal and was very pleased to catch it that low.* It will be 2 - 3 weeks at least before I need to fill up again so I'm hoping gas is flowing again by then.
Just back from north Texas. On Tuesday I saw $2.43 gas. That was the low point. I filled up for the trip back at 2.49, then paid 2.79, then I crossed
into Illinois (Thursday) Everywhere regular was 3.19. I was stubborn
and drove on fumes but couldn't beat that, so I bought $20 worth
in a 30 gal. tank. Almost home I found it for 2.95 and filled up.

You could still buy for under $3.00 as of yesterday (northen Illinois).

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:18 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back John. Gas here is about 3.30 a gallon. Our supply is in large part locally refined from Canadian supply. From looking at DanTien's post, our price 150 miles north is considerable higher. No sense to that. Maybe I'll drive to Minneapolis for gas.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #49

Mr. JG - some people wondered if you had gone down to NO to do some order restoring ala Dirty Harry with your friends S & W...

2.79 appearing at stations around Minneapolis...was 2.99 Friday...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:28 PM   #50

Yup, prices dropping here too. Where I paid $3.199 is now $2.999 and the news reports are that most stores have regular under $3 where before some stations were in the upper $3's 3-4 days ago.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

Oy, I paid $3.59/gallon this morning in NY...
bamboogrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

2.99 today in uppermidwest. price was up to 3.39 but has come down once the immediate hysteria passed.

Interesting point we went over last night. Price has increase over the past few years from 1.50 or so to well into the 3.00 range, yet there is almost no change in driving habits or vehicle selection. At what price will we as a nation start to use less? Or is gas (and the transportation freedom it allows) simple not price elastic and we will continue to use it at the same rate no matter what the price?
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledrz
At what price will we as a nation start to use less?* Or is gas (and the transportation freedom it allows) simple not price elastic and we will continue to use it at the same rate no matter what the price?
I think that you won't see a behavioral change until gas consistently costs more than bottled water.

I used to think that was $5/gallon. Now I'm thinking $7.50.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At what price will we as a nation start to use less? Or is gas (and the transportation freedom it allows) simple not price elastic and we will continue to use it at the same rate no matter what the price?
Could be. Note this quote from a car dealer talking with car buyers over the weekend....

"Do you want to save $10,000 right now," he said, or wait years to accumulate that amount in savings from a high-gas-mileage vehicle?

The fact is, he said, folks keep buying big vehicles, despite grousing about the spinning digits at the pump.

Hummer buyers, it seems, are different.

"People who buy Hummers, they don't give a damn about gas prices," said Robert Shahbazian, a salesman at Team Automotive of Pasadena. "They don't even ask about the mileage Hummers get."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...lines-business

REW
Old 09-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #55

Quote:
. . . At what price will we as a nation start to use less?* . . .
There may be a small reduction coming from a small group of people if gas stays as high as it is right now. *For people driving 20k miles per year or more and a car with mid-teen gas mileage, the cost increase from $1.50 to $3.00 can amount to a couple of thousand dollars per year. *To some low income people, that might cause them to change habits at least a little. *

But I'm not sure that $2000 per year more on gas is on many American's radar screens. *And for those who are concious and frugal, they probably have already been taking action to get better gas mileage, reduce driving where possible, etc. *So the cost increase to them is even less. *For example, take the same 20K mile per year driver, decrease miles by 10%, own a 25 mpg car and the impact of the gas is only about $1k per year. *That's still an impact, but a lot of Americans waste more than that on dryer sheets and kayak every year [1].

I'm still waiting to see what increased gas prices do to the price of everything else we buy. *The inflation caused by increasing gas prices may be the larger issue for most people.
==========
[1] Totally ficticious factoid created for this post. *
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #56

I changed my driving habits at $1.40/gallon 4 years ago, but my motivation was debt reduction and changing cars saved me per-month and total cost. When I moved to Indy I knew no one and little about the area so I picked a place close to work that felt kind of like back home. I'm now hooked on living close to work.

My car gets about 20mpg between home and work and up to 30mpg on the freeway. I could get better mileage but I would save more money changing some other habits first.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #57
Administrator

When I was in England a few weeks ago gas was 90p/litre which is 3.60 GBP/US gallon, which at the exchange rate of 1.8 is $6.50/gal.* Gas in England has always been several times per gal higher than in the USA, and before we came over we naively thought our gas bill would go down.* Wrong.* Even allowing for the fact I drove 25 miles to work as opposed to the 13 miles I used to drive in England, my annual gas bill went up significantly.

Reason being that in England we owned one 1200cc car for our family of 4, and I car pooled with 3 other guys.* Car pooling was the norm, and had been when I first joined the work force back in the 70's. In the US we each had a 3 or 4 liter Truck/SUV and I never car pooled, because hardly anyone did.

These days we each have a compact and I live 3 miles from work.

So I think possibly attitudes will change eventually but it will take gas to be at the $5+ price for a long time.

Reason for the high gas prices in European countries of course is tax - the so-called "carbon" tax.* Europeans wouldn't be so keen on small cars and lower emissions if the governments didn't use the stick and stick approach.* (you should see what the annual road tax is!!)
Old 09-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #58

During my stay, I drove a used 1.2L Corsa fomerly used by BSM. Got petrol at US prices using Navy coupons. They ran out one month and one fillup on the Brit economy was enough to induce panic.

I never understood how the locals could drive. Even in 2000-2005, it was $5-6 dollars a gallon. Then, I learned that a lot of Brit companies give cars and gas as perks. But what about a pensioner. Egads.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
So I think possibly attitudes will change eventually but it will take gas to be at the $5+ price for a long time.
In that respect, I welcome the high prices. I think it is the only way we will effect change here.
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
During my stay, I drove a used 1.2L Corsa fomerly used by BSM.* Got petrol at US prices using Navy coupons.* They ran out one month and one fillup on the Brit economy was enough to induce panic.

I never understood how the locals could drive. Even in 2000-2005, it was $5-6 dollars a gallon.* Then, I learned that a lot of Brit companies give cars and gas as perks.* But what about a pensioner.* Egads.
BSM? - Was that British School of Motoring?* If so I trust you got a good price because to pass a driving test in Britain you have to use a stick shift so I expect those driving school cars had a lot of wear on the clutch.

The goverment has started taxing company cars and other such perks.* They even let you gamble on taxes on gambling winnings.* When you bet on a horse race you can opt to pay the tax on the bet or on the winnings.* Most people choose to pay the tax on the bet to avoid paying tax on their expected windfall.* Of course this nets a lot more money for the IRS than the taxes on actual winnings.* I expect they adopt the same approach on their lottery but am not sure.* I only know about the horse racing because my Dad has always bet on the horses every week.* (gambling is his only vice : - apart from smoking and drinking* )