401 K Help

zuberence

Confused about dryer sheets
I am currently 66 years old , and will be starting a new job next week, and I need some help on starting my 401. I am presently collecting my SS, and am financially secure on my present investments. The new Co that I will be starting with, has Fidelity as their Retirement Plan and their offering is just too large to analyze, for now. So here are my questions :
Which fund is better, the 2010 or the 2030 ?
Would I be better off in, Large Caps, Small Caps or International ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

zuberence: You need a well balanced portfolio. If you were retiring about now then I'd suggest the 2010 portfolio. The 2030 portfolio is for someone who intends to work another 20 years (or so).

Would I be better off in, Large Caps, Small Caps or International ?

You need some of all of those in your portfolio. A balanced portfolio includes large/small caps domestic/international equities as well as hefty doses of bonds.

Taking a cue from (The Coffehouse Investor) website... You need to:

1. Save for a rainy day. (Develop a long term financial plan)
  2. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. (Diversify in different asset classes.)
  3. There is no such thing as a free lunch (Capture the entire return of each basket, or asset class, through low cost (low expense ratio) funds).

Insufficient information. Without knowing what you already have and exactly what your 401k offers no one can give you meaningful advice...

DD

I would agree with the insufficient information assessment. My 401k is also managed by Fidelity. We don't have access to all of Fidelity's offerings, but the choice is still overwhelming. Fidelity's website has a wealth of information and it indicates the Freedom 2010 fund is intended for individuals with retirement dates between 2008 and 2012. The Freedom 2015 targets retirement from 2013-2018. They have several others in 5yr increments.

As far as allocation to large cap, small cap, etc. the Freedom Funds objective is to take care of that for you and gradually adjust the mix according to the target date. Fidelity has a simple pie chart breakdown at this link,,,,,
Fidelity Investments

Back
Top Bottom