Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

401k rollover question
Old 06-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

401k rollover question

Last year I changed employers and rolled my 401k over from the Fidelity 401k administered through my employer to a rollover IRA (still) with Fidelity.

This was last summer. In January of this year, my former employer deposited ~ $200 into that old 401k. Since I had already rolled the 401k to an IRA, there was only ~$200 sitting in that account. Since the dollar amount was so low they cut me a check to disperse the money to me. My plan had been to just roll it into the rollover IRA, but since the check was dispersed to me before I initiated the rollover I now have a $200 check.

Is there any way I can still get this into the rollover IRA without paying taxes and penalty on this? Or am I SOL and just going to be able to take it and invest into the rollover IRA as a contribution for this year and then pay the taxes/penalty on the ~$200?
Klubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You should be able to deposit it in IRA without a problem.
Tell custodian it is a rollover from 401K.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #3

You have 60 days to rollover.
Since you got the check in January and its now June you will have to treat it as a distribution and pay the penalty if younger than 59.5.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
You have 60 days to rollover.
Since you got the check in January and its now June you will have to treat it as a distribution and pay the penalty if younger than 59.5.
good point........completely missed the timing issue...
good thing you came along.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually didn't get the check until April. The cash was unexpectedly dropped into my account in January. I had planned to roll it over but hadn't done anything with it yet until recently.

kaneohe, I took your advice above and think i got it deposited electronically earlier today.

Thanks for the help!
Klubbie is offline   Reply With Quote