Join Early Retirement Today

5 Reasons I'm Not Retiring Early
Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

5 Reasons I'm Not Retiring Early

First Person: 5 Reasons I'm Not Retiring Early - Yahoo! Finance

Maybe we've got it all wrong.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The five reasons:

1. I don't do poor
2. I don't count on Social Security
3. I would be bored
4. Work provides a social outlet
5. It will keep me in shape

Of course he left off the real number one reason: I lack the self-discipline to delay gratification and am in debt up to my eyeballs.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought this was a joke when I read the title of the article. Maybe someone making a satire on reasons people choose to not retire early. Instead it was an actual article with all the common excuses people give for not taking the time and discipline to invest in themselves so they can enjoy life.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I kept looking for the "Just kidding, this is sarcasm!" emoticon. Now I'm just feeling sorry for them.

Quote:
Without work, I may become bored. If you are in a helping profession, you get paid to take care of others. People in creative professions, including yours truly, get personal satisfaction out of their livelihood. I don't want to be the gray-haired lady who gets the senior citizen discount at the pancake house. I want to keep my professional identity. Using my brain may even prevent Alzheimer's disease .

If I retired, I'm afraid I'd vegetate. With my career, I am always on the go. Even though I'm frequently on the computer, I tend to stand. I rarely sit still. A lot of retired people I know gain weight because they take up sedentary hobbies and attend groups that revolve around food.
Well, I hope they make lots of income and keep paying FICA!

Thanks for the link, ATC Guy. For a minute there I thought you'd suffered some personal financial catastrophe, but I'm gonna get an easy 800-word blog post out of this one.

Anyone else care to contribute their quotes?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

5 reasons I did retire.......

1. I'm not poor
2. SS is just gravy if I get it
3. I was bored at work
4. Having time to play golf gives me a social outlet
5. Now I have time to exercise and stay in shape

Idiots.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What a crock...

Notice at the bottom of this article there are other articles by the same author. One is titled:

"My Lame Excuses for Not Saving For Retirement"

I might suggest that she won't retire early because she is unprepared to do so!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #7

And retiring early probably means at 60 as well

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

1. I was layed off.

2. Then I got pissed.

3. I discovered financial independence allows one to be pissed off.

4. Pissed off is better than pissed on.

5. Taking time time to become a curmudgeon on your own terms is a lot of fun.

heh heh heh - it is sometimes amazing what media produces to fill time and space.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #9

5 Reasons I'm not Retiring Early -
1. "because I am such a moron I can only write substandard articles for Yahoo"
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #10

"Using my brain may even prevent Alzheimer's disease ."

Too late!

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I love it when people with zero early retirement experience write articles telling others why early retirement is such a bad idea...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #12

FIREd:I love it when people with zero early retirement experience write articles telling others why early retirement is a bad idea...""

You, sir/madam, are a god amongst moderators...
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

There are a lot of people who end up going back to work because they get bored staying at home. Usually these are people with no hobbies or interests. OR, sometimes they go back as temporary helpers making more than they did when they worked.

But I'm glad some people think this way because that is more money that I can rely on that will go towards FICA. It's getting scary out there because the gov. is thinking of cutting taxes more, which will contribute less into the SS fund.
heirloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think I just found my new motto. Probably would sound better translated into Latin, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
4. Pissed off is better than pissed on.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #15

At the risk of putting myself in line for some of this , I actually thought that the author had a few valid points:

Reason 1: the only things I know about the author are what appears in the article - including that she spent her
Quote:
20s living far below [her] means so that [she] could get out of debt and save to buy a house
. She also mentions that her mortage would have been paid off for decades. This does not sound like someone who has failed to take at least some degree of responsibility for her finances. I inferred that she intends to keep working, not because he has to, but because she wants additional money to "blow". To a certain extent every voluntary early retiree has to make a trade off between a greater financial standard of living and fewer years in the work force - if we were prepared to live on less we could have gone earlier. Is her analysis all that different?

Reason 2: depending on my age and my awareness of economic reality, I wouldn't be willing to rely on SS or any other pay as you go retirement scheme either. Assuming nothing is a bit extreme, but it's more prudent than assuming that you will get the same benefits in real terms as current retirees.

Reason 3: if she would be bored to the point where washing her socks would be the highlight of her week, then continuing working may be the right thing for her. It can't imagine how, in this interconnected world of ours, anyone could be seriously bored - personally I think she's just making a weak excuse with this one. That said, it would appear that she derives a lot of personal satisfaction from her job. If she's happy doing what she's doing and doesn't see herself getting the same or better personal fulfillement elsewhere then carrying on may be the right choice for her.

Reason 4: this is a legitimate concern for many retirees - leave your job and your social interaction falls away. If she is genuinely in the situation where she does not have meaningful social interaction with other people independent of her work environment than perhaps she should hang around at least until she's developed some new friendships. Isolation is not good for one's mental health. That said, it's not that hard to create opportunities to interact with others so, at best, this reason has short term legitimacy only.

Reason 5: I call BS on this one. The only excuse for not staying in shape physically (and mentally for that matter) is medical. Anything else is laziness.

And of course, at least she won't be called selfish and unpatriotic: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tic-34623.html

Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
I inferred that she intends to keep working, not because he has to, but because she wants additional money to "blow". To a certain extent every voluntary early retiree has to make a trade off between a greater financial standard of living and fewer years in the work force - if we were prepared to live on less we could have gone earlier. Is her analysis all that different?
Her intention 'now' is to work for additional money. I would venture a prediction that her attitude on this may well change once she has a few more years under her belt and a greater appreciation of her own mortality. When I was 20, I had all the time in the world, but no money. I therefore placed a higher value on money. Now that I am in my 50s, I have much more money and much less time left. Accordingly, I value my time more highly.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Now that I am in my 50s, I have much more money and much less time left. Accordingly, I value my time more highly.
I definitely share your sentiment. Having more time is more important than acquiring more money or wealth.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Work as a social outlet and fitness plan. Really? How is sitting in front of a computer writing crappy articles any more like exercise than sitting you're couch watching TV? As for the social aspect, I'd rather spend time with a couple of good friends than be forced to spend my time with a bunch of people that I fantasize about running over in the parking lot.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Good responses here, everyone, I liked reading them.

As for me, my 5 reasons for retiring early:

(1) I hated the increasingly sickening commute more every day.

(2) I had the money. (And even if SS is reduced or eliminated, I will still be just fine.)

(3) Working, even part-time (2 days a week in the last 17 months and generally part-time the last 7 years) had interfered with my growing outside life in those 7 years, as it had become a juggling act.

(4) I hated the increasingly sickening commute more every day.

(5) I hated the increasingly sickening commute more every day.

I never saw work as a social outlet. I was mostly a loner, especially from the mid-1990s and later. In my 23 years there I never had any interest in attending the annual December holiday party (and was proud of my non-attendance).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Her intention 'now' is to work for additional money. I would venture a prediction that her attitude on this may well change once she has a few more years under her belt and a greater appreciation of her own mortality. When I was 20, I had all the time in the world, but no money. I therefore placed a higher value on money. Now that I am in my 50s, I have much more money and much less time left. Accordingly, I value my time more highly.
So do I (and I reached that point long before my current age of 45), but it would appear that the author values money more than her remaining time. It looks like a poor deal to me, but she's entitled to spend her time how she wishes.