Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I ER'd just about 5 years ago, and by most standards I've done OK. Started with around $2M at the end of 2015 and now have a bit over 3. But, I've done that with a conservative AA of around 50/50. During those 5 years the equity half of that has roughly doubled (S&P 500 up 90%, some other holdings slightly better). The bond/cash half, however, has returned 10-15% in that time.

So I reach the inescapable conclusion that my conservative approach has cost me about a million dollars over those 5 years. Classic "glass half empty" view of the situation, but it still stings a bit. Granted that I probably wouldn't have slept during those 5 years if I'd gone with the 100% equity allocation that would have given me ~$4M today, but still...

coulda, woulda, shoulda.
I'm late to the thread. But how would your life today be different if you had $4m rather than $3m?

I assume that your health is better because you are sleeping better at night.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm late to the thread. But how would your life today be different if you had $4m rather than $3m?

I assume that your health is better because you are sleeping better at night.
Day to day life wouldn't be different at all. I have a significant reluctance to "blowing that dough" and have been mostly living off a small pension and pulling less than 1%/yr out of the nest egg - one reason why it has grown steadily over the years. We can buy whatever we need whenever we need it.

However, one place where it could make a big difference is in the cost of our next home. I've been looking around in areas we like and the price of something decent is often in the $1M+ range. We can afford the low end of that range, but having an extra mill floating around would greatly broaden our options. I suppose I was wistfully thinking about some of those $1.5M fantasy homes when I wrote coulda, woulda, shoulda...

But, I guess I'm being silly. With no kids DW and I don't need some 3000+ sqft sprawling pile and I'm getting to the age where maintaining significant acreage would be more trouble than it's worth - so the smaller homes on the low end of our range are probably what make the most sense. An old boy can still dream though.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I'm definitely in the less is more camp. We've had the big 3000 sf house... it was great... especially for family gatherings but we are all spread out now. I'm quite content with the 2400 sf that we have up north and 1400 sf condo down south... might someday upgrade to the 1700 sf villas in our neighboorhood since they include a garage and a bt more space... but that would be plenty for us in retirement living.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Choe, a graffiti artist, made over $200 million (from his options $38/share in 2012) for painting a wall at Facebook.
The legendary 200 MM miral. I hope they protected it somehow
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Would you have any use for that extra mil? I noticed that I don’t really spend more money even if I have extra cash. I’ve never been a “consumer”. The only thing I enjoy spending on is travel but not the kind that cost an arm and a leg. Not that I’m cheap, I still pay for business class, use Amex Plat and occasionally stay at Belmond but I’m really the happiest with street food, bargain accommodations and experiencing public transportation wherever I go. That extra mil wouldn’t change anything... I would just die with more money.
tenant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
You have to decide how much is enough. I have a rich friend who holds gold. I asked why and he said he never wants to end the game. I told him I was done!
Old 12-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Relax. You can’t take it with you. And if you went totally aggressive and the market went to hell? How would you sleep then? Btw: I have a 65-35 conservative mix, and I sleep just fine.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

No one can predict the future. Stick to your planned asset allocation, be happy, enjoy life.
melijov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Its easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. What if you lost 50% of that money, you would have a different frame of mind now. Greedy pigs get slaughtered. Be happy that you did well.
rrs26ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sounds like if I coulda woulda shoulda. It’s all in how you manage it.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdL3 View Post
Sounds like if I coulda woulda shoulda. It’s all in how you manage it.
It is hard to get off the "could have, should have" mode of thinking. A better way of thinking is to forget the past, live for the present and plan for the future (or move on). It is easy to say but hard to follow.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
....Started with around $2M at the end of 2015 and now have a bit over 3. But [I could have had] ~$4M today...
If you went from 200K to 300K, but could have had 400K, that STILL would have been reason to be happy. The majority of the population would be quite happy to go up 100K in 5 years.

Now when you are talking about 3M versus 4M, how much of a difference will that truly make in your life? At more than 2M you've already "won", there can't be much more you can do with 4M that you can't do with 3M.

The peace of mind of a more conservative portfolio is likely worth more to you than more money. Great job and enjoy that you've won!
RioIndy is offline   Reply With Quote