Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

5 Year Review - How to Lose a Million Bucks
Old 11-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

5 Year Review - How to Lose a Million Bucks

I ER'd just about 5 years ago, and by most standards I've done OK. Started with around $2M at the end of 2015 and now have a bit over 3. But, I've done that with a conservative AA of around 50/50. During those 5 years the equity half of that has roughly doubled (S&P 500 up 90%, some other holdings slightly better). The bond/cash half, however, has returned 10-15% in that time.

So I reach the inescapable conclusion that my conservative approach has cost me about a million dollars over those 5 years. Classic "glass half empty" view of the situation, but it still stings a bit. Granted that I probably wouldn't have slept during those 5 years if I'd gone with the 100% equity allocation that would have given me ~$4M today, but still...

coulda, woulda, shoulda.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You've done well.
Your last sentence tells all. If you can't sleep, you probably have the wrong investment allocation.

This past year, I have realized I needed a more conservative approach and made adjustments.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Hindsight is wonderful.
Wish I had sold everything, including my clothes, borrowed from loansharks and bought Tesla options a couple of years ago...
I lost a 100's of Millions of dollars ...
Old 11-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My only question when looking back is whether I made the best decision I could at the time. @stepford, you made a decision similar to the decision most of us here made at the time -- to avoid taking 100% of the market risk. Decisions involve foreclosing options; by doing this wel foreclosed the option of to benefit 100% from any market rise. I'm still OK with that decision. No sting at all.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I ER'd just about 5 years ago, and by most standards I've done OK. Started with around $2M at the end of 2015 and now have a bit over 3. But, I've done that with a conservative AA of around 50/50. During those 5 years the equity half of that has roughly doubled (S&P 500 up 90%, some other holdings slightly better). The bond/cash half, however, has returned 10-15% in that time.

So I reach the inescapable conclusion that my conservative approach has cost me about a million dollars over those 5 years. Classic "glass half empty" view of the situation, but it still stings a bit. Granted that I probably wouldn't have slept during those 5 years if I'd gone with the 100% equity allocation that would have given me ~$4M today, but still...

coulda, woulda, shoulda.
Wow! This is just sooo different than how I look at things. But I guess the world would be a pretty dull place if we all thought alike, whether it be financially, politically, philosophically or any other way.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

You've done good. But, you were not perfect.

When I get my time machine working again, I will give you a lift back about 10 years. Then we will both be Billionaires today. However, the part I need will not be ready until at least 2162 so don't hold your breath. (Note to self: when traveling into the past bring extra parts that were not yet invented in the past.)

In the mean time, never let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
gone traveling

I foolishly did not show up in Mark Zuckerberg's dorm room and offer him $1000 for a share of stock which I then put into my Roth IRA.
Oh, well.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:

coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Totally get why you would feel that way, but just think if you had only like 20% equity!??!?
That would be fetal position regret territory

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If I worried about all the things I could have (or even should have) done I'd never get any sleep.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Hindsight is wonderful.
Wish I had sold everything, including my clothes, borrowed from loansharks and bought Tesla options a couple of years ago...
I lost a 100's of Millions of dollars ...
Haha. What I need to time travel for about a few minutes (or more) a few times of my life - that would enable me to make millions if not billions.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #11

Quote:

coulda, woulda, shoulda.
It is not too late to recover your 'loss'. Start taking more risks, e.g., increased equity allocation or/and bitcoins - which is almost $20K now and estimated to be >200K by the end of 2021.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
My only question when looking back is whether I made the best decision I could at the time. @stepford, you made a decision similar to the decision most of us here made at the time -- to avoid taking 100% of the market risk. Decisions involve foreclosing options; by doing this wel foreclosed the option of to benefit 100% from any market rise. I'm still OK with that decision. No sting at all.

Agree!
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I foolishly did not show up in Mark Zuckerberg's dorm room and offer him $1000 for a share of stock which I then put into my Roth IRA.
Oh, well.
Choe, a graffiti artist, made over $200 million (from his options $38/share in 2012) for painting a wall at Facebook.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Be happy your equity allocation didn't have a big international component. The title of your post could have been "How to lose $1.5 million bucks"!
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

What a day to be worried about "ifs" and "buts"...

All of us would have a lot more money if we could go back in time with the knowledge we have today.

Just consider that at a bit over $3 million, even with not "gaining" anything more, you have still done better than 96% of the U.S. and even better on a world wide scale. Something to be thankful for.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #16

Stepford -

I retired about the same time and have seen a similar gain, with a similar AA.

I see the glass half full overflowing. I am amazed and thrilled that I can have a middle of the road AA, spend over $400k in 5 years and still have more than a million more than I started with.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
What a day to be worried about "ifs" and "buts"...

All of us would have a lot more money if we could go back in time with the knowledge we have today.

Just consider that at a bit over $3 million, even with not "gaining" anything more, you have still done better than 96% of the U.S. and even better on a world wide scale. Something to be thankful for.
+1

Ya done good, Stepford. Be happy.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

When I sold my house I sat on hundreds of thousands of dollars for a year in a money market account. If I'd had it fully in the market I'd have made a made a ton of money. As it turned out, a few days before I was to close on a new house, the market plunged and I was glad I had it securely in that money market. So, yeah it sucks not to be clairvoyant.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Wow! This is just sooo different than how I look at things. But I guess the world would be a pretty dull place if we all thought alike, whether it be financially, politically, philosophically or any other way.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #20

Don't we all wish we were either clairvoyant or had access to a time machine. However one hard cold fact remains - I've never been so financially well off in my life than I am right now. So I must be doing something right.