5 years from now on E-R.org?

Unclemick, your Wellesley is down only 8% or so this year. You got any extra? Pssst, how’d you like a few rolls of nice TP?
It had a steep drawdown of about 22% at the bottom. Wellington was down 33% or so.

Last edited:
- which are lazier - millennials or gen x’s

Excellent bullets, I agree on all but one: in five years, the oldest gen Xers will be in their early 60s and very well might dominate these boards.

Or perhaps Gen Xers will be called the lazy segment of the FIRE Community and you’ll be 100% correct. Hah!

Last edited:
Robotics progression seems awfully slow. There have been robot vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers, but not much else. Maybe in five years that’ll be the new thing to discuss. More small and specialized robots: bathroom cleaners, robot pet ferrets, kitchen pot scrubbers.

Robotics progression seems awfully slow. There have been robot vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers, but not much else. Maybe in five years that’ll be the new thing to discuss. More small and specialized robots: bathroom cleaners, robot pet ferrets, kitchen pot scrubbers.
I'm still waiting on "Rosie" from the Jetsons. When I was a kid I just KNEW those would be available when I grew up.

The question that will be frequently asked in 5 years could be: Why should everyone not 100% in equities?

I wonder how many hoarders of tp will still have a remaining supply...like that inconsiderate dolt who bought 3- 30 packs of tp from costco while me and a few others nearby helplessly watched as he took the last packages. What a guy! My family will be using Kleenex tissue paper in soon- maybe that will be the new thing...kleenex with lotion used as tp lol

I’m starting to wonder if we should start hoarding our Sunday newspapers!

So what will we be telling new members who stumble across this fine forum 5 years from now?

I honestly think it will be something like "Junior, I survived the DotCom Bubble, the Great Recession, and the Corona Calamity" :flowers:

If you run FIRECalc, understand your spending, and know where you are being aggressive or conservative, you too can FIRE :dance:

I’ll argue that all three of these events have the same cause: Too easy Fed policy leading people to feel the need to take more risk (equities, housing, etc.) than they otherwise would, and then bubble bursts because all these asset classes are held up with massive amounts of borrowed money. Since the Fed fights every battle with the same weapons (even MORE easy money policy) then I won’t be surprised if we are already talking with junior about the NEXT market collapse in five year’s time. My belief is that the only way we get a sustainable economy for the long haul is to get much of the debt out of the economy, endure the economic hardship which that unfortunately entails, and then start from a more natural (and less Fed-induced) point of supply and demand for risk assets.

I’ll bet in five years the top 10 discussion topics will be

- when to take SS
- whether to pay off the mortgage
- dividends vs total return
- fat vs carbs in diets
- Roth conversions and tax rates
- can US equity valuations get any higher
- universal health care
- alternatives to cable tv
- travel destinations

A few omitted:

-Getting TurboTax for free
-How to avoid paying a subscription for Quicken

If I'm still here, my time horizon will be 5 years less (not the moving 30 years I used when I first ER'd.) Or, maybe 99 won't seem so old 5 years from now, heh, heh. I can recall thinking 70 was old. Now, it sounds sort of young. Additionally, I now know multiple folks over 100!

I can see us old geezers telling the young whippersnappers (you know, the folks under 70) how we managed to live so long.:LOL:

So what will we be telling new members who stumble across this fine forum 5 years from now?

I honestly think it will be something like "Junior, I survived the DotCom Bubble, the Great Recession, and the Corona Calamity" :flowers:

Don't forget Black Monday, 1987.

I just want to be here 5 years from now

That too.

I am somewhat pleased that after funding 3 years of Blow that Dough on travel and house projects, on 3/31/20 I had more in NW than on my RE date of 3/31/17.

There are likely to be additional x'ers in the mix...so there will be two new topics:

- who has a greater sense of entitlement: millennials or boomers?
- who is more screwed on retirement in general: millennials or boomers?

we will also be asking whether all babies born due to the great lockdown of 2020 (& 2021?) be enough to shift the demographic problems of an ageing population.

For us it will be the same checkpoint in 5 years. Is our NW higher or lower than when we Fire'd? After the latest low point we were just barely below our 1-1-17 starting ER NW.
We don't lose any sleep over that and even if it dropped precipitously more we will be fine as our current worst cast plan doesn't include selling assets.

I'll be dead from complications caused by Covid-19, which given life insurance proceeds should significantly increase the portfolio my DW inherits. :)

I'm still waiting on "Rosie" from the Jetsons. When I was a kid I just KNEW those would be available when I grew up.

Me too! I keep asking my husband about the Jane Jetson house I was promised. :confused:

I’m starting to wonder if we should start hoarding our Sunday newspapers!

That or the old sears roebuck catalogs. :D

Like others, I just want to be around in 5 years.

Thanks

When I handed in my pass last December, I was super-confident I'd be saying reassuring things such as USGrant mentioned. I was as prepared as I knew how to be.

I'm slightly less confident today. A large portion of the country is in terror over this virus, prompting a bunch of bad decisions. There are scammers at all levels trying to exploit the fear.

But I'm far from pessimistic. My preparations may not have been perfect, but they still look good enough. Also, I have witnessed a lot of altruism. I'm stunned by the wisdom, generosity and compassion of many of our fellows. During hard times, most humans make me proud to be one.

Thank you for this positive message. We all need this kind of support in tough times. I'm exactly where you are in terms of confidence, not pessimistic, but cautious.
Cheers! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom