Join Early Retirement Today

Re: $50 per day revisited
Old 01-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didnt realize that handpuppets cost so much.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I didnt realize that handpuppets cost so much.
TH,
Like many others on this board, I often find your posts humorous and charming. Some of your posts contain valuable ensights.

Now is not one of those times and this is not one of those posts.

I hope you feel better soon.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

We are about the same as salary guru, in the $175 a day range. We could spend a WHOLE lot more if we had the money, but we could cut things back to $100 a day pretty easily if we had to. I expect 2005 to average more than $200 per day due to more travel planned for this year.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Well at $50 a day I just spent a weeks worth of income on a pair of eyeglasses.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #25

Park the car and live on peanut butter and water
until February. You can do it!

JG
Old 01-05-2005, 10:23 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well at $50 a day I just spent a weeks worth of income on a pair of eyeglasses.
GTM, I got my last eyeglasses here and was satisfied:

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I could never even get close to $150 per day, never mind $50!!!

This year, my daughter's (future) school costs the equivalent of US$27.40 per day (US$10,000 pa) and she won't attend for another 3 years!

Once inflation is factored in over the next 20 years, you guys might be teaching me "How to Live US$22.60 per day"

Let's hope not though. :-/
Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This year, my daughter's (future) school costs the equivalent of US$27.40 per day (US$10,000 pa) and she won't attend for another 3 years!
At those prices I'd seriously consider homeschooling. Or a career in school management...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
At those prices I'd seriously consider homeschooling. *Or a career in school management...
Nords, you are quite right. Privately and in concert with other similarly placed parents, we are considering other options but in the meantime making financial provision for the original school. Believe it or not the above school fees are actually AFTER a Government subvention (subsidy), the costs at a fully private institution are approximately 50% higher. It's just a quirk of our location and special educational needs.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Since retiring almost two years ago, my DW and I are averaging $175 per day. *That's higher than *I had anticipated, but it includes several expenses that won't be annual (new car, replaced home air conditioner, replaced computer, replaced dishwasher, and a few others). *We have traveled a lot these past two years. *I'm not sure whether we will slow that down or not in the future. *Also it is an amount that is still well below a 4% SWR and that does not include three pensions or social security benefits that will kick in as early as 4 years from now. *
It seems that your capital is in the range of around $2M. Plus 3 pensions and SS? You wouldn't even need any calculator.

Congrats.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:02 AM   #31

"A new study called "Understanding Expenditure Patterns in Retirement," published by the Boston College Center for Retirement Research, shows that typical married adults ages 65 and older have expenditures totaling $14,792. The top fifth in income have average expenses of $25,567 and the lowest fifth have average expenses of $10,111."

Billy
Website www.geocities.com/ba264

Old 01-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #32

It is interesting that if you take the top fifth and the bottom fifth and average them, you get almost exactly
$50.00 per day.

JG
Old 01-29-2005, 09:20 AM   #33

Yes it is, yet many here have debunked the notion it can work. For the complete story here's the link
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/stor...den=&minisite=

Billy
Old 01-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #34

Hi Billy. I have not read the study yet but must disagree that "many here have debunked the notion it can work" etc etc etc.
Those are opinions only. I guarantee it can work and
besides, the study can't be that flawed. Sure it's bare bones for most of us. That doesn't mean it can't be done. How about unclemick's personal best of 12K for a
whole year? These folks posting $75, or $100, or $150 per day
don't NEED that much. What they really mean to say is
that they WANT that much. We're way over $50.00 but could get down to it with less than Herculean effort.

JG
Old 01-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #35

JG,
Once again, your wiser than your years.

Billy
Old 01-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Yes it is, yet many here have debunked the notion it can work.
You can live on $1 a day if you really try hard enough. The problem is, there is a certain quality of life most people want to maintain. Just my health insurance, real estate taxes and house insurance (average 5 room house) come to $40 a day. I can't see how a couple can enjoy life much on the remaining $10 a day.

Now if you want to live without insurance, that's another story, but most people don't want to take that chance.

It would take at least $110 a day ($40K a year) for me and my family to live a frugal-normal lifestyle.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:48 AM   #37

I am telling you all, it's in your attitude. There are
huge numbers of people (right here in the USA) who would feel like they were "livin' large" on $50.00 per day.
We don't do it, but just because you can't/won't
doesn't mean it can't be done. That's nonsense.
BTW, there is no such thing as a "normal lifestyle".
That is a clearly a phrase without any meaning.

JG
Old 01-29-2005, 03:52 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You can live on $1 a day if you really try hard enough. *The problem is, there is a certain quality of life most people want to maintain. *Just my health insurance, real estate taxes and house insurance (average 5 room house) come to $40 a day. *I can't see how a couple can enjoy life much on the remaining $10 a day.

Now if you want to live without insurance, that's another story, but most people don't want to take that chance.

It would take at least $110 a day ($40K a year) for me and my family to live a frugal-normal lifestyle.

Put very well Retire@40.

I do not think anyone on this board who resides in the US lives on $50 a day TOTAL. They would not own a computer or subscribe to internet service.

Maybe if your home and home expenses was paid, your car and insurance were paid, your credit cards and food bills were paid, health expenses taken care of
then OK.
But in reality it is not happening.

If anyone does live on $50 a day TOTAL I would like to see a financial breakdown to compare.
Not a breakdown of what one can spend but a breakdown of someone that is actually doing it every single day for a long period of time.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:04 PM   #39

We are into our15th year. 5122 days...but who's counting?...daily avg. $56.17

Oh...and did I mention..we travel the world?

Follow YOUR DREAMS!
Billy
website www.geocities.com/ba264
Old 01-29-2005, 07:31 PM   #40

Quote:
We are into our15th year. 5122 days...but who's counting?...daily avg. $56.17
Oh...and did I mention..we travel the world?
Follow YOUR DREAMS!
Billy, would you mind telling us what you have been averaging over the last few years and the countries you have been living the majority of the time to get a real perspective.

Thanks

MJ