61 with 1.9m. can i still go moderate allocation?

Everyone has a different attitude about asset allocation. I'd say leave yours alone and figure out what your total expenditures (budget) will be in retirement. If you will be going on Obamacare and keep your MAGI to less than $48,000 (I forget the exact no.), your healthcare premium could be very low. Look up what constitutes MAGI income- very important.

I'd say you are good to go with $1.9 based on your life style.

Thanks. I'll have to evaluate that MAGI prospect... thus far i'm over the limit. Of course, the healthcare options are subject to some troubling people in power but theoretically if we aren't screwed over by corrupt factions, the prospect of taking advantage of a lower premium looks reasonably good.

+3 (I think that's the last count). From a money perspective, your portfolio grew considerably at 40% stock allocation. I don't think the numbers would have been a life-changing difference at a higher allocation like 60% And, of course, had the market gone down you may very well have been writing how glad you were with that 40% Investing is so easy in hindsight.
FWIW I recognized 2 things about myself: I'm not good at individual stock investing, and I'm not comfortable at large swings in my portfolio. I've been at 40% for a very long time and sleep well.

>>Investing is so easy in hindsight.<<

SO true: )
. Thanks for the perspective mystang! Much appreciated!

That's pretty much where I'm at and I retired January 2017. I put in numerous different allocations and sure, the volatility is much higher , but the balance is significantly higher over the long term with a heavy stock allocation.

Interesting point to ponder!

I’m not against you increasing equity due to your age. I’m against it because, in a real world serious market crash experience, you proved through action that 40% equity is what you could/would handle emotionally. Now, when the bulls are running, you’re feeling more adventurous. That’s the opposite of emotionally-removed planning. I suggest keeping allocation as is.

So, a few short days later, how does it feel after a market correction? Now, or soon, may be a good time to increase your equity allocation, but you know better than most of us that we can’t predict exactly when. It could be a good time to increase your equity percentage. Or perhaps, to start adding equity exposure with new savings.

Or not. Your numbers look healthy.

So, a few short days later, how does it feel after a market correction? Now, or soon, may be a good time to increase your equity allocation, but you know better than most of us that we can’t predict exactly when. It could be a good time to increase your equity percentage. Or perhaps, to start adding equity exposure with new savings.

Or not. Your numbers look healthy.

Hi and Thanks for your note! Very timely you should mention this as I just emailed my occasional FA to schedule a review about that very idea, given the correction.

In terms of actual numbers, I calculate my loss from my peak asset value (- about three weeks ago) to be about 120k at this point, i.e, from almost 2.1m to abt. 1.95m at this moment. Relatively speaking hopefully with my allocation i haven't lost, percentagewise, nearly as much as one who is in a 60% or higher equity PF...(vs my 60%-ish bond/FI allocation)...or at least hopefully am in line with the average moderate-conservative PF holder.

But yes, am planning to send my stuff to the FA over the weekend, and talk about maybe upping the equity exposure, taking advantage of the discounted market; maybe would liquidate some cash from low-interest safe-haven funds like MINT or Treasury( SCHO) fund - to facilitate the buys. I was premature in picking up a small lot of APPL on its way down... too soon ...a few days ago. Anyway, again, thanks for thinking of me! : )

Back
Top Bottom