Join Early Retirement Today

72T over time-Balance
Old 12-08-2023, 08:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

72T over time-Balance

Curious if any long time posters care to share their experience in their 72T balance over time.
I've done extensive research on the subject and feel comfortable starting one just wondering what balances over time do.
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2023, 07:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired in Oct 2006 at 48 and immediately started 72t withdrawals (recalc method) from my 100% stock portfolio. By the time I ended them in Jan 2018 when I turned 59.5 my balance was up a little over 60%. I withdrew a total of 54% of my original balance.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It'll depend on lots of factors.

What the 72(t) account is invested in.

When the person did the 72(t) program.

What they chose for method and interest rate.

If RMD method, how old they were.

If they switched methods, when they switched and what the balance was.

How long they did the 72(t) for.

On average most folks probably did OK, because anyone sophisticated enough to try a 72(t) probably understands things pretty well.

One can always switch to the RMD method, and there are no longer penalties for a 72(t) program where the 72(t) balance goes to zero. So that's nice from a tax point of view, and means there's no drawback otherwise to starting a 72(t) - there's still the issue of running out of money of course.

I considered a 72(t) for next year since I just turned 54.5 last month. I decided against it; there's a thread I started if you're interested in the details of that thought process.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 06:54 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I retired in Oct 2006 at 48 and immediately started 72t withdrawals (recalc method) from my 100% stock portfolio. By the time I ended them in Jan 2018 when I turned 59.5 my balance was up a little over 60%. I withdrew a total of 54% of my original balance.
Thank you sir, appreciate it.
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 07:42 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post

I anticipate similar results. While I haven't started yet, I will do RMD method starting sometime in my early-mid 50's (depends on depletion of my taxable/cash needs/and future RMD concerns (taking sooner to avoid higher brackets later when RMDs are required)). At that age the WDR would be well below 4% of the current balance which is more conservative than 4% of starting balance with inflation adjustment that statistically is likely to leave a larger balance.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:36 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
It'll depend on lots of factors.
I considered a 72(t) for next year since I just turned 54.5 last month. I decided against it; there's a thread I started if you're interested in the details of that thought process.
Can you link your other thread?
teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 03:13 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

When the 7 year Treasury was 5% not that long ago, I considered putting my Trad IRA into a 7 year Treasury and then using 4.5% for my withdrawal rate.

With mostly stocks you may or may not end up with more or less money after the 72t period. 5-7 years, stocks are not guaranteed to do anything.

I decided to work another year. Now Treasury rates are dropping like a stone again, so who knows what the future will bring.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 07:48 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1985 View Post
Can you link your other thread?
Sure:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ne-119894.html
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote