a 29 year old retiree wow

I had to laugh a bit as this article is ridiculous. Just more Yahoo Finance fluff to fill up the space between the ads. And over 1000 commenters on the story agree - giving it around 1 star on average (out of a possible 5 stars).

She is a stay at home mom that runs a little side business and takes a bit of money from her savings. The article says that her husband could quit work if he wanted to, but he gets health insurance from there and doesn't really mind working.

I think she would be shocked at the cost of private health insurance for a family of four (or more??) and it only gets more expensive every year (background inflation plus getting older every year and moving up an age bracket). The bottom line is that it is really easy to retire at 29 when you have a working spouse with family health insurance coverage! ;) Where is John Galt when you need him?

I noticed the article was long on talk and short on statistics and numbers. Wonder why?

I guess if my wife quits working to be a stay at home mom, I can essentially claim that she retired at a similar age. We are probably similarly capitalized as the subject of the article, similar ages (I'm even younger!), and we might have less expenses than she does (maybe). So I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that my wife and I are both ER'd in our 20's, except that we don't mind working a little longer - just to pad the portfolio a bit more, you know, and for that "free" health insurance. ;)

I would say that my reaction makes me sound jealous, but there isn't a lot to be jealous of, because I would suggest that many fellow posters here in their 20's are probably closer to ER than the subject of the yahoo article. It'll be interesting to see if she shows up to "defend" herself. Sounds like she might fit in well here, but not sure she would want to hear that her ER plan just might be inadequately capitalized. :)

I'm happy that DuPaix enjoys her lifestyle without a 9-5 job, but since her husband still works and she has a small business it's quite a stretch to call her "retired".

I read her blog a bit, and she doesn't go into much detail in dollar terms on what they have. And Madison DuPaix is a pseudonym, not her real name. She does show a 1000% increase in net worth since 2003. But not the starting basis, besides disclosing it between $1 and $1 million. I'd say this 1000% is realistic, having experienced a similar "success" over the last 5 years or so. But starting with a small positive net worth and growing it 1000% in 5 years won't continue forever.

My take is that she is a rather savvy young lady, and smart. But I wonder if her goal is to make a living from selling her ER/investing/tax advice. Anyone smell a book deal coming up soon? Nothing wrong with it, but living off of book advances and website advertising still doesn't fit any definition of ER in my book. Maybe semi-retirement...

From the yahoo finance article, it says that "...two-thirds of her salary was going to daycare, taxes, and retirement savings. She now achieves the same annual cash flow [ie - 1/3 of her gross pay] by drawing down 2 percent of her savings."

So, if she was making $50,000 a year, her net was $16,667 which would mean her nest egg was $833,000 ($16,667/.02)? I find it hard to believe her personal savings had grown to this level in 6 years or so of full time post-college employment. Maybe there is some rounding errors, or errors in the article? Maybe her husband makes a half million a year and gives half of that to her to invest?

I read her blog a bit, and she doesn't go into much detail in dollar terms on what they have. And Madison DuPaix is a pseudonym, not her real name. She does show a 1000% increase in net worth since 2003. But not the starting basis, besides disclosing it between $1 and $1 million. I'd say this 1000% is realistic, having experienced a similar "success" over the last 5 years or so. But starting with a small positive net worth and growing it 1000% in 5 years won't continue forever.

My take is that she is a rather savvy young lady, and smart. But I wonder if her goal is to make a living from selling her ER/investing/tax advice. Anyone smell a book deal coming up soon? Nothing wrong with it, but living off of book advances and website advertising still doesn't fit any definition of ER in my book. Maybe semi-retirement...

From the yahoo finance article, it says that "...two-thirds of her salary was going to daycare, taxes, and retirement savings. She now achieves the same annual cash flow [ie - 1/3 of her gross pay] by drawing down 2 percent of her savings."

So, if she was making $50,000 a year, her net was $16,667 which would mean her nest egg was $833,000 ($16,667/.02)? I find it hard to believe her personal savings had grown to this level in 6 years or so of full time post-college employment. Maybe there is some rounding errors, or errors in the article? Maybe her husband makes a half million a year and gives half of that to her to invest?

I smell BS...........but hey, doesn't yahoo also employ Kiyosaki?? :p

I smell BS...........but hey, doesn't yahoo also employ Kiyosaki?? :p

It could be all true. But it could also be mostly false. "Journalism" can't get facts right 100% of the time.

I think the numbers and percentages she gave could be believable, but the major problem is the way she, in her blog, and the article, are presenting the information. There is definitely a confusion of terms between a job change and retirement.

In many places in the blog, and in this article, it simply states, she "retired" at 29. This later one turns out to not be true at all, regardless of her financial numbers. She admits she is taking care of the kids AND working part-time, which is essentially a full-time job. Her husband still works. Even though she says "he doesn't need too," I believe he does, from the numbers, they dont appear to be anywhere near being able to buy private health insurance based on the numbers she provided, unless they don't have a mortgage at all.

Aside from this though, I certainly believe she has done a very good job so far working towards early retirement. I certainly hope to have reached the same level of achievement by 29 myself. Even by the more liberal terms of this forum though, I do not believe she has reached early retirement.

I would not be so harsh about this, if it weren't for the fact it was published, causing a great deal of confusion to those who don't really have the ability to evaluate whether she had actually succesfully reached retirement.

Fake, fake, fake. Who knew Millionaire Mommy had a little sister?

I'm wondering why they pull ANY money from her savings if her husband is working full time--seems they should be able to live off one salary since they saved virtually all of hers while she was working?

Love the revolving credit card debt, too--she will probably get a bailout on that.

Well, I didn't really have to show up to defend myself, since I've been a reader here for over 5 years. As a matter of fact, this is one of my favorite places to hang out! In the post where I left my job, I even linked to here as one of my favorite places to learn from the best.

Anyways, I've always been very honest on my site that I'm quitting my job to spend more time at home with my kids. But instead of becoming a one-income family and having my husband support us, I'm still bringing in my share of the income be withrdrawing from my retirement accounts.

I understand if you felt mislead by the title. I had no idea that's what it was going to say.

By the way... I could handle getting slammed in the comments at Yahoo.... since I figured most readers there don't understand the concept of FIRE. But to get it here was a bit of a shock.

I wonder what kind of lifestyle they have. If I didn't mind "living" like I did in my 20's, I'd be FIREd too!

Madison, I believe you are doing a good job, but as I said in my post, the misleading statement is not just in the yahoo article, it is the punchline in your "About Me" article, on your blog, which you make money from (not legal advice, but this creates a duty to be truthful).

I know it is certainly not unusual for some place like Yahoo news to spice up an article by using misleading phrases. The "About Me" section is the place most people will first go if they are interested in learning about you.

The response would have been very different if the blog didn't support the misleading statement of the yahoo article. The way it is presented now, for those who know something about finance, it is a big puzzle that needs to be deciphered, since actually managing to retire by 29 would be astounding. People would certainly want to know how it was done.

I have seen a similar blog by someone else who actually could have retired at 26, she created a small business that she sold for $1.1M dollars. She had no kids, and adding that on to the savings of her husband, it was definitely possible she could retire. But most importantly, her punchline reads, “I sold my business for $1M dollars and retired”. She also acknowledges the difference between retirement and non-retirement in her about me section. She actually states she came out of retirement a year later to begin working on another buisness, her numbers were also all presented in numbers, rather than mostly in percentages in a completely seperate post.

Well, I didn't really have to show up to defend myself, since I've been a reader here for over 5 years. As a matter of fact, this is one of my favorite places to hang out! In the post where I left my job, I even linked to here as one of my favorite places to learn from the best.

Why did it take you until the yahoo article to post stuff here? :confused:

Anyways, I've always been very honest on my site that I'm quitting my job to spend more time at home with my kids. But instead of becoming a one-income family and having my husband support us, I'm still bringing in my share of the income be withrdrawing from my retirement accounts.

Not a bad idea if you can swing it. I must assume you are using the 72T rule to do this??

By the way... I could handle getting slammed in the comments at Yahoo.... since I figured most readers there don't understand the concept of FIRE. But to get it here was a bit of a shock.

It seems like a PR tool for your website, but I don't blame you for leveraging a columnist from YAHOO to help you. As long as you don't put your blogging website in your sig line or avatar, I think the mods will leave you alone..........;)

Don't be too offended. A lot of people, especially newer posters, get slapped around a bit at first if people think that anything is overstated in the introductory posts. I suspect if you had called yourself "semi-retired" instead no-one would mentioned anything. Others who said they were retired who were still working part-time or had a working spouse have recieved the same treatment.

I like this one from the article's comments--seems to sum it up"

This lady DuPaix is not "retired", she is a stay-at-home Mom with a side business-income, a working husband with insurance coverage.

I guess "stay-at-home mom" is too old-fashioned to describe herself, but FIRE? And why does anyone need to share their financial situation with their friends and family when they decide to stay home, even if they are?

I like this one from the article's comments--seems to sum it up"

I guess "stay-at-home mom" is too old-fashioned to describe herself, but FIRE? And why does anyone need to share their financial situation with their friends and family when they decide to stay home, even if they are?

:D:D

Madison,

Would you care to respond to the yahoo article here? Was it 100% factually correct? Are there any areas that are misleading or vague that you would like to clarify? Based on the article, there seem to be a number of astounding claims, that if true, would be really impressive. For example, if you previously made $50,000 per year, then based on the article, your portfolio would be around $833,000. Is this somewhat proportional to the ratio between your salary and your portfolio value?

Would you say that your husband and your two kids could comfortably retire on your current savings permanently at a reasonable withdrawal rate? What withdrawal rate would you use? Did you have any outside help in accumulating your net worth (large inheritances, gifts from family, etc)?

I'm interested, and many others here are as well I'm sure. I'm of a similar age, with two young preschool age kids. And I have similar goals to ER very early.

I know from personal experience that "the media" can excerpt your comments and statements, produce pithy sound bites, and generally misconstrue your interview to write the kind of article that sells advertising. Was that the case or is it all 100% factually correct? Inquiring minds want to know.

Deleted overly-inquiring post because of course Ha is right (and goshdang it why didn't my parents set me up with mutual funds I didn't know about:confused: Or maybe they did and forgot to tell me about it? I know they must be out there somewhere :) )

Hey, she isn't the first person to gild the lily in order to sell something. Not even the first one who comes here from time to time.

I think The Mommy got run because she was so arrogant. Ms. Madison isn't arrogant; she is just a marketer. To many of us that is not a bad thing.

Ha

I think we will see what Madison's intent is. If she explains everything satisfactorily and sticks around, we'll know she is at least partially legitimate.

If she ignores, sidesteps, or equivocates, then I'll let the reader draw their own conclusions. Madison has to pick a side - that of the self made, independently wealthy early retiree that she claims to be, or that of an entrepreneur choosing to manage her slick marketing image of being a 29 year old early retiree.

It seems like the blog is solid, well written, well researched and though out (in general). I can tell the overall tone is about 80-90% good info and 10-20% braggadocio. There are some errors or bad advice on there that I noticed in my brief review - for example in the article on calculating life insurance requirements, no mention was made of social security survivor's benefits (although it is mentioned elsewhere in the blog if you know what you are looking for). For many people, this will provide a major source of income that doesn't need to be replaced by life insurance. In my case, it makes life insurance (beyond the modest employer-provided amounts) superfluous.

FWIW, she does provide a little more clarity in the 29 steps she took to leave the workforce and calls out that she really isn't fully retired.

Follow your passion. Early semi-retirement is ok. That’s what I’m doing. But now, my side income will come from what I love: personal finance. Semi-retirement can open the opportunity to leave the corporate world much sooner.

29 Steps I Took to Leave the Workforce at Age 29

Here's a link to someone else who seems to share my sentiments:

A Slacker's Quest For His First Million: How Madison DuPaix "Retired" at 29 -- A Rant

But maybe the yahoo article misconstrued what "Madison" stated during the interview. We'll give her an ample chance to rebut the article if that is the case. Or maybe the yahoo article simply serves to increase her unique visitors to her blog, thereby allowing her to better monetize her blogging.

Hi guys, I'd love to answer your questions... and I will when I get more time this weekend. Busy with Halloween festivities:D

jblack did hit it right on the head - it's ok to leave the corporate world and still do meaningful work in the 29 steps article... which was what lead to the interview.

To be perfectly honest, I was as shocked with the title as all of you probably were. In fact she even quoted how I refer to myself usually "I'm on a leave of absence from work, or I'm a stay-at-home mom." But then again how many SAHMs do you know who are making withdrawals from their retirement accounts? There doesn't seem to be a perfect title for it.

Anyways, I'll be back later to give some more thoughts.

Madison, you are another millionaire mommy. Just less obnoxious.

What a 29 year old who lives off her husband has to teach anybody about retirement is beyond me.

There is no shame in blogging for dollars, or in pleasing your hubby enough that he is willing to support you. Plenty of women would like to learn about that, and it wouldn't reek of promotion and phoniness.

Ha

My wife is retired and living off her investments. I am the investment.:D

This is like a former board member John Galt used to clam he was retired and it turns out he had a working wife.

Just a wife supported by her husband running a hobby business at home. Couldn't have saved up that nest egg off her salary without being supported either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom