Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Journalists making up stories? I am shocked. Shocked!

The article reminds of me a former neighbor who was going to retire as soon as he inherited his Uncle's collection of gold coins worth about $50,000 (back in 1990's). His uncle had promised the coins to him years ago so he had no reason to invest or save money. Lucky him.
I went to a private high school, and sadly this mentality is one that is shared by a subset of those I went to school with in the 70s and 80s. I'd say a third to a half went and made something of themselves, and hopefully have saved and prepared for their eventual retirement.

Another percentage, maybe 25%, went to college, then into their family business. I guess in a way they got their inheritance early, though many worked hard and earned what they got by building the company into something better than it was.

Then there was the final group who seemed to know in the back of their minds that they would eventually inherit wealth (similar to your guy who did no planning because he was told he would inherit a gold coins collection). This group maybe went to college, but never really did anything of consequence. They lived like they had good paying jobs, but that was more from the trust funds they were given. Many of these never made anything of themselves, nor did they have any reason to try, as they counted on their inheritance. Very sad.
CSdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I were just discussing what we might leave to our kids someday, in the context of spending more money on ourselves (new car for her, home improvements, etc...). We definitely want to put things into trusts tied to milestones and age targets.

The article clearly sounds like click bait, kinda like a sitcom where the main characters are so stupid that they make the viewer feel smart (i.e., I'm not as financially stupid as THAT couple).
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for another thread here, so no harm....
Old 01-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Brutal. Beyond the debt-to-savings ratio being rather poor, the following confuses me:

Our income is as follows:
$152,200 — Max 401(k) contribution of $26,000 with 3% employer + 25 cents per dollar

Our savings combined:
$20,000 in the 401(k) (plus employer contributions)

How can someone with so much income and 401(k) contribution have so little 401(k) savings? Are they cashing out the 401(k) to make purchases, along with the increased debt?
Yeah, seems the question is more from a troll or the writer is just making up facts to write a story. The whole thing just doesn't add up to be sincere question.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I quit checking Marketwatch when they went to a partial paywall recently. A lot of the actually useful articles are blocked behind beg-ware placards, but they still serve up tripe like this for free.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing View Post
I quit checking Marketwatch when they went to a partial paywall recently. A lot of the actually useful articles are blocked behind beg-ware placards, but they still serve up tripe like this for free.
You can still read the articles using a private/incognito window in your browser.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm not convinced that any of these questions in Marketwatch are from actual people. I think the author just makes them up to set up her column.
+1

Clickbait
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Why would Marketwatch fabricate an article that makes them look like buffoons?

Clickbait.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Huh. I went back to reread and got paywalled. Does MW actually expect to get paid for this content?

Obviously not enough info but anyone can dream, right?

Sell the house and live on the boat. I’m SURE that’s why she said it was a major plus!Assuming 50% home equity and they actually save additional 50k, that gives them ~500k in savings to generate 40k with 4% SWR. Throw in 50k for 2 SS payments and they’re right at 50% of current income she said they need. Of course they’re too far from FRA for this to work so.....never mind.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Oddly enough we just bought a new car for cash. The salesman insisted on running a finance option. Our credit is top notch and the rate they used was around 7% didn't seem to matter how much down or term either.
I just assisted someone with a new car purchase, it was financed for 60 months and the rate was 2.9%.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I just assisted someone with a new car purchase, it was financed for 60 months and the rate was 2.9%.

Yeah 7% seems way out of whack especially with excellent credit.
New Subaru's can be had right now for 0% for 63 months
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Like letters in advice columns, I think this stuff has always sold because it makes regular people feel superior.
"Hey, at least I'm smarter than that guy!"
"Can you believe those people?"
"Boy, if she tried that one on me, she'd've gotten the surprise of her life!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exchme View Post
I hadn't seen this one, but I have noticed that the questions on Marketwatch are becoming more like a Jerry Springer show of finance, with more and more outrageous questions from increasingly selfish and clueless people. I guess that gets the most clicks, but makes the whole thing irrelevant to normal folks.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
That boat is a real plus if they can live on it (and sell all other assets)!
Yeah, we need to know what's the home's value?

At, say, $350k they have a lot fewer options than if it's worth $1,350k.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

They seem like a candidate for a Dave Ramsey program. Oh, and clickbait, I think all the articles on personal finance from CNBC, market watch, etc. are just to get eyeballs on the ads.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #35

delusional? absolutely.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:15 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I w*rked with some folks who would have thought these folks were in "pretty good shape" to retire. I've mentioned BFF who at 77 is $500K (net) in debt. He actually lives pretty well. He's learned to get the credit he needs to keep his life-style going. I suppose if the credit holders are willing to lend, then it's on THEM. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:22 AM   #37

No problem. Just get that spending down to about $7000/yr. Piece of cake.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I w*rked with some folks who would have thought these folks were in "pretty good shape" to retire. I've mentioned BFF who at 77 is $500K (net) in debt. He actually lives pretty well. He's learned to get the credit he needs to keep his life-style going. I suppose if the credit holders are willing to lend, then it's on THEM. YMMV
I know a few people who spend every penny they earn, have large credit card debt, expensive car leases, one couple just re-financed for a 30-year mortgage in their late 50's...and they don't care. They just buy what they want when they want an seem to be enjoying life.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

"They don't pay what they owe
When they have the cash flow
They don't care"

Mark Knopfler The Scaffolder's Wife

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

That's delusional alright. And now on the other side of crazy town, here's a guy with $5 million asking if he can retire. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...p?f=2&t=283714
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote