A Growing Cult of Millennials Is Obsessed With Early Retirement.

Is it you>>?? Is it W2R? Is it Nord? tell us.

OK. I really didn't see the reason for quoting the west coast gal about "Midwest Minions." Why does everything have to have a divisive part to it? This is unnecessary code language.

The article was good until this sad quote was included.

OK. I really didn't see the reason for quoting the west coast gal about "Midwest Minions." Why does everything have to have a divisive part to it? This is unnecessary code language.

Agree 110%. Why is it that almost all of these kinds of articles either dis those who are able to do it and/or have to try to be divisive. The fact of the matter is that many people have bad spending habits, and whether you have a high paying job or not, learning to have a budget and and understanding of your spending and compound growth of savings is beneficial whether you FIRE or not.

...it’s easy to fetishize a life of home brewing and farming in bucolic Vermont or rural Virginia. But actually home brewing and farming can be lonely and backbreaking work...

I dunno, I rather enjoy home brewing in rural Virginia and have no desire whatsoever to go back to w*rk. :LOL:

Millennials should respect their elders...by funding social security instead of retiring early ;)

I enjoyed Your Money or Your Life and have read other interviews with Vicki Robin. She has been an inspiration to me.

I really don't get the part in the article about having to fill time or dying early. Commuting, working long hours and sitting at a desk all day never seemed like a healthy lifestyle compared to how we live now. And we easily fill our time and stay pleasantly busy with day trips, hobbies, clubs, house projects, yard work, hiking, etc.

The internal social media where I work, has several 30-something bloggers who focus on LBYM, saving, investing, and financial independence.

They don't say much about early retirement, probably because they are at work and it might look awkward.

I enjoyed Your Money or Your Life and have read other interviews with Vicki Robin. She has been an inspiration to me.

I really don't get the part in the article about having to fill time or dying early. Commuting, working long hours and sitting at a desk all day never seemed like a healthy lifestyle compared to how we live now. And we easily fill our time and stay pleasantly busy with day trips, hobbies, clubs, house projects, yard work, hiking, etc.

So many of these articles, and the discussions they inspire, ignore a middle ground. The middle ground being what is sometimes referred to as "a life in balance", which includes some satisfying gainful employment. While "commuting, working long hours and sitting at a desk all day" probably is not a healthy lifestyle, it is not the ONLY alternative to early retirement.
LBYM may be a great avenue for "early-ish" retirement, it is also a great way to be able to enjoy a career that doesn't require twisting one's life out of balance by commuting, working long hours, etc. etc.

I'm 64, RE'd at 62. I'm happy I had the 40 year career I had, but it was a challenge to put that career into a balanced lifestyle that included family, spiritual growth, and personal space. The life I lived the last 20 years of my career was not the life I envisioned in the early days. I had to learn to throttle back the desire to make more and more money (i.e. work longer and harder) and establish the balance that worked for me and my family.

If I were counseling a young person who is burnt out by his/her career choice, I would encourage them to spend some time examining the middle ground between what is making them miserable, and the idea of completely dropping out of the working world.

...and that's where I stopped reading. Don't need another lecture about my "privilege" and how it really wasn't that hard for me to get here.

+1
Have no issues filling my time and sometimes that even means doing nothing.

Don't need another lecture about my "privilege" and how it really wasn't that hard for me to get here.

Downhill both ways, through sunshine and rainbows?

Last edited:

That was my reaction to the title, the other 'M' word. IMO pretty much every article that has this or the 'B' word in its title works this way.

Oh, you know why. It generates more clicks and comments, where the dissers get to feel smug, while the dissed parties get up on their high horses and defend themselves and attack the other side.

Straightforward reporting does not generate as much activity, which is why all the newspapers were dying, and resorted to clickbait to save themselves.

Why is it that almost all of these kinds of articles either dis those who are able to do it and/or have to try to be divisive.

What the h*ck is "flipboard" ?

:facepalm:

probably something to do with snapgram or instachat.

...and that's where I stopped reading.
And I know lots of people with the opposite perspective who stop reading when an article goes down a philosophical path opposed to theirs. Is anything well-served by folks keeping themselves so insulated from the opposite perspective?

And I know lots of people with the opposite perspective who stop reading when an article goes down a philosophical path opposed to theirs. Is anything well-served by folks keeping themselves so insulated from the opposite perspective?

Not when there is name calling.

Attachments

• clip-art-of-a-green-dinosaur-sitting-on-the-toilet-and-reading-a-newspaper-in-a-bathroom-by-djar.jpg
    clip-art-of-a-green-dinosaur-sitting-on-the-toilet-and-reading-a-newspaper-in-a-bathroom-by-djar.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 83

Agree 110%. Why is it that almost all of these kinds of articles either dis those who are able to do it and/or have to try to be divisive. The fact of the matter is that many people have bad spending habits, and whether you have a high paying job or not, learning to have a budget and and understanding of your spending and compound growth of savings is beneficial whether you FIRE or not.

Not when there is name calling.

I can't help but think that you have misunderstood the article. The 'west coast gal' was referring to the thoughts of 'Many FIRE followers' - as a life-long mid-westerner, I found absolutely nothing offensive in that paragraph. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom