Join Early Retirement Today

A message from Penfed
Old 07-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A message from Penfed

I remember a couple of people asking about Penfeds solidity compared to other banks and CU's. Got an email from their chairman today, thought I'd share.

"No doubt you’ve seen and read about the many problems currently plaguing much of the financial services industry. I’ve received more than a few e-mails from members who are concerned about where Pentagon Federal stands in today’s environment. I’m happy to report that, unlike many of the financial institutions in the news recently, your credit union does not hold any collateralized mortgage obligations (CMOs), nor do we have any subprime mortgages in our portfolio. It's important to point out that recent bank, thrift, and mortgage company troubles all involve a history of subprime lending.

At Pentagon Federal, we take great pride in the fact that our history of prudent lending standards has kept us out of the subprime fray. Our loss rates are half those of our peers in the credit union industry and a tiny fraction of those in the financial services industry as a whole. In addition, our mortgage portfolio is excellent and we are monitored by federal government regulators.

Simply put, we have none of those huge losses you’ve been reading about to pass on to our members. Other financial institutions may experience difficulties, but our careful lending practices have kept us clear of the kinds of risks that have landed some banks in crisis. Because of our lending standards and careful internal financial controls, today's economic troubles are likely to have a negligible impact on the rates you pay on Pentagon Federal loans or the yields you receive on our savings/share products.

Additionally, your Pentagon Federal deposits are insured to at least $100,000 -- backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government. Both traditional and Roth Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) are similarly insured to at least $250,000.

We realize some of our members may be suffering through these troubled economic times. Hard times usually mean job losses and other cutbacks that certainly affect at least some Pentagon Federal Credit Union members. Despite a national trend toward higher loan delinquencies and losses, rest assured that Pentagon Federal remains an industry standout for low delinquencies and losses.

And despite all you've heard about hard times for mortgage lenders, Pentagon Federal continues to have a very strong mortgage business. We have plenty of mortgages to choose from. In fact, our 5/5 ARM is one of the best mortgage deals out there for homeowners who may be facing dramatic increases as their current ARMs' adjustment periods end. Our products are actually helping our members stave off the effects of rising rates and a down mortgage market.

If you have more specific questions about Pentagon Federal Credit Union’s financial well-being, please visit the "About Us" section of PenFed.org under "Publications," you can find copies of our last seven Annual Reports, which detail what the credit union has been doing to ensure its profitability and continued financial excellence for our membership as well as detailed financial analyses of the credit union’s deposits and loans.

We appreciate the trust you place in Pentagon Federal Credit Union. It’s loyal members like you who have allowed us to remain one of the strongest and safest credit unions in the world. We look forward to serving you in the future with the same sound practices that you have come to expect from us."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Having looked at Pen Fed's financial statements numerous times, I have zero doubt that they are quite solid. I have only one problem with them: I wish they could go public so I could buy shares as a depositor!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Having looked at Pen Fed's financial statements numerous times, I have zero doubt that they are quite solid. I have only one problem with them: I wish they could go public so I could buy shares as a depositor!
If they had "pesky" shareholders they would be so motivated by greed they would start doing stupid things to make money..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If they had "pesky" shareholders they would be so motivated by greed they would start doing stupid things to make money..........
So true then they would become like all the banks we left.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #5

Another point is that a LOT of their work is with Active Duty Military. Logically, a short letter to the Commander of a trooper or trooperete (that ought to bring the flames) falling behind in payments will probably result in a quick positive adjustment to their payment history. I am sure NFCU has the same motivating factor at work. USAA also but probably to a lesser extent.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not necessarily true. For example, look at a bank like HCBK. They never wavered from their insistence on sound lending standards and a conservatively run balance sheet. And they went public ten odd years ago.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
trooper or trooperete (that ought to bring the flames)
Because trooper is gender neutral and if you were trying to differentiate then it should be trooperette?
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good point. When you don't have to hit numbers quarter after quarter to satisfy Wall Street, it's easier to manage a business with a long-term perspective -- at least for large businesses with lots of anal-yst coverage.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I got the same letter - it must be a pretty exclusive club we belong to.

I know they are fairly conservative on loan underwriting. They turned me down on a home equity loan application when I was applying for only about 60% LTV. I reapplied and got approved after showing them my personal balance sheet with enough assets to repay the loan 3 times over, and verification of income to pay the monthly payments 10x over.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

"nor do we have any subprime mortgages in our portfolio". Ha! Penfed loaned me money on our home - they only think they don't have any subprime mortgages!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My CU has a similar note on their web site. And also prominently notes that they have never underwritten any subprime mortgages.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I got the same letter - it must be a pretty exclusive club we belong to.
I figured all members that signed up with an email address got it. But a lot of people who arent members yet were asking about the financial stability of the CU before buying a CD or opening an account there.

This seemed to answer those questions.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got the same letter. Go public! That way we can ride it up for a couple of years followed by the shareholders burning the company to the ground. It would make a great movie methinks.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I figured all members that signed up with an email address got it. But a lot of people who arent members yet were asking about the financial stability of the CU before buying a CD or opening an account there.

This seemed to answer those questions.
Sorry - I forgot the "this is sarcasm" (in thick heavy polish accent) tag.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... a trooper or trooperete (that ought to bring the flames)
Didn't the Jurassic dinosaurs perish in a sea of flame too?

Anyway it's a rank, not a biological gender description. Heck, my spouse has a piece of paper declaring her to be an officer and a gentleman by an act of Congress.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #16

I like this board. It even tells you when you misspell a word "trooperate" verses "trooperatte", wrong context "gender" versus "non-gender.

Just remember all will become "dinosaurs"; it is just some of us are way ahead of the class.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Sorry - I forgot the "this is sarcasm" (in thick heavy polish accent) tag.
I usually do.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
I like this board. It even tells you when you misspell a word "trooperate" verses "trooperatte", wrong context "gender" versus "non-gender.
I didn't tell, I asked. I have no idea why one would get flamed so I was taking a couple shots in the dark.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

So Marquette, is your wife known as Marquetteette?

Old 07-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
So Marquette, is your wife known as Marquetteette?

Around the house she's known as "woman, go get me another beer"

Outside the house... well, who are we kidding, she's not allowed outside the house.