A milestone

I have a small IRA opened in 1984 that I'll be able to tap into this summer when the CD matures. I couldn't make any further contributions to it since I have a pension and the laws changed shortly after 1984.

Anyway, I've been trying to talk DW into spending it on some frivolous nonsense like a cruise to Hawaii. She will probably want me to behave like a responsible adult and do something sensible though.

A trip to Hawaii could never be considered frivolous nonsense. Maybe frivolous, but certainly not nonsense.:whistle:

Ya'll come, er, I mean e komo mai.:blush:

A trip to Hawaii could never be considered frivolous nonsense. Maybe frivolous, but certainly not nonsense.:whistle:
I wonder how many times a year a cruise ship actually drives out here from the Mainland U.S. or Mexico. Nothing pleasant about six-seven days of open-ocean transits.

I wonder how many times a year a cruise ship actually drives out here from the Mainland U.S. or Mexico. Nothing pleasant about six-seven days of open-ocean transits.

In fact, I'm not aware of a cruise line that sails "to" Hawaii although maybe there is one. Back when I was just a tourist, I considered taking one of the various cruises between the Islands though I never did do that. I don't know what of that business remains as I don't keep up on it. Those cruise companies seem to come and go. Still, some folks love cruising and Hawaii would be an ideal place to do it IMHO. I think the part of Walt's post I was reacting to was the part about coming to Hawaii. I'm more in love with the Islands than I was when they were just my dream. And, heaven knows, we here need the tourist dollars. But that's not why I "steered" Walt this way.:whistle: Can't think of a better way to spend money than to travel here. Just my opinion though.:cool:

Making this thread USEFUL...2007 vintage pics.

Attachments

• dcp_1283.jpg
    dcp_1283.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 1
  • dcp_1300.jpg
    dcp_1300.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 1
  • dcp_1336.jpg
    dcp_1336.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 1
And if that wasn't enough to convince you....2004 vintage pics.

Attachments

• Hawaii2004 043.jpg
    Hawaii2004 043.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawaii2004 059.jpg
    Hawaii2004 059.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawaii2004 067crop.jpg
    Hawaii2004 067crop.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I love the Hawaiian Islands. I first visited in 1974 with my Dad on our way back from the Far East. When I lived in CA we flew over once a year to vacation. I have a cousin who has lived in HI since 1974. He chose to live there after grad school. He had a choice between HI or Maine and said that the optional wearing of socks sealed the deal. I might visit him next Christmas as a family wedding is in the offing.

Maybe not often, but there are cruises to Hawaii
I frequently see the NCL interisland ship from our back lanai coming into Honolulu before sunrise all lit up like a giant shopping mall. I think that happens on Friday or Saturday mornings. Otherwise I occasionally read about another ship coming in for some event or problem, or maybe we'll see them when we drive downtown.

Going back to the northeast must be especially nasty trying to maintain 25-30 knots and ending up with 30-40 knots of wind across the decks. But maybe they save fuel by going more like 20 knots. By day three it must seem like the movie Groundhog Day while the interisland ships sometimes are barely underway for eight hours before hitting a new port.

Do navy ships have stabilizers?
That's like asking Lance Armstrong if his bicycle has training wheels and a kickstand...

I'll have to look into it. I know submarines don't have them!

I don't think even the amphibs have stabilizers because it's one more thing to maintain/repair and they hate spending money on Marine taxis. Aircraft carriers might have stabilizers; I know some of those guys get upset if the roll exceeds 3-4 degrees. Otherwise I think all Navy vessels are as lean & mean as the naval architects can make them.

Submariners are wimps about rocking & rolling. If you're at periscope depth for longer than 30 minutes, let alone on the surface, people start reaching for their seasickness bags...

Anyone near Dayton Ohio want to help me shop for clothes?

All you need are the Lands end and LL bean catalogues and you are good to go !

Oh, come on! Weather in Dayton is nice this weekend, with high of 48F tomorrow. Khan needs to spend some time outside. Surely, there got to be some female board members nearby who can go shopping with her.

The only taste of Hawaii I've had is by eating pineapple. :'(
Sounds like someone needs to start saving their pennies...:whistle:

BTW, both of my Hawaii trips were tag-alongs on others' official business trips. All I had to do is pay for the plane ticket, food and my daytime mad money. Talk about LBYM vactions x 2! :D

Sounds like someone needs to start saving their pennies...:whistle:

BTW, both of my Hawaii trips were tag-alongs on others' official business trips. All I had to do is pay for the plane ticket, food and my daytime mad money. Talk about LBYM vactions x 2! :D
I don't make any money, so I can't save my pennies.....hmm, maybe I could stop buying food and turn the utilities off, or enter a sweepstakes...or find someone to take me. :LOL:

bbbamI...traveling companion...:flowers:

To us, travel is never nonsense nor frivolous. About Hawaii, we have been to the big four islands, but can use return trips to Maui and the big island. :greetings10:

I've been living on small pension, then started 'harvesting' CD ladder, now feel somewhat obligated to draw on retirement accounts.

Check out Chicos. Chico's - Women's Clothing & Accessories

I just looked at their store locator and they have two stores in Dayton. Not cheap, but very comfortable and flattering. They also have great accessories.

I particularly like the "travelers" clothing. Doesn't wrinkle, washes easily and oh so comfy.

If I lived near Dayton I'd be on the shopping trip in a minute . Maybe we can have an online shopping trip ? Tell us what you want and the board women can help you find it and at a great price !Now if you want boots BBami is the one !

I find it difficult to spend money on what I don't need.

Well, have you ever splurged, Khan? I am proud to be frugal, most of the time that is, but I do splurge sometimes.

Talk about clothes, I do not really need much myself. With our weather here, perhaps all I need is a loin cloth like the aborigines!

No, I take that back. Those loin clothes look itchy. :blush:

Anyway, my point is that sometimes we buy things that we do not need but just to spice up life a bit. The spendthrifts tend to overdo it, but the chance of the posters here overspending is slim. Occasionally, I wonder what I have been saving for, what I want to get from my money other than the joy of counting it. So, I decided to see what RV travel is all about, and as I found out, it does not have to cost that much. :dance:

I find it difficult to spend money on what I don't need.

Well, you do need some clothes. Get some that makes you feel good. Perhaps try some colors you haven't tried before. Here's some inspiration:

Attachments

• Cardinal.jpg
    Cardinal.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Northern Lights.jpg
    Northern Lights.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
  • yellowbutterfly.jpg
    yellowbutterfly.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Pansies.jpg
    Pansies.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
I just picked the phrase "cruise to Hawaii" as something outrageously expensive that would be completely out of character for either one of us. Although in reality I guess it'd be better to fly especially after Nords's description of a week at sea. A trip to Hawaii really is on my "to do" list.

We do have a trip planned to Scottsdale, AZ. We won a three-night stay at the Phoenician resort there in a raffle and will extend that a few days. The raffle was the "tipping point" as we've kicked around the idea of doing something like that for a while anyway.

I've been living on small pension, then started 'harvesting' CD ladder, now feel somewhat obligated to draw on retirement accounts.

Khan, here's 2 articles that might be helpful.

How Does Clothing Enhance Body Proportions? | eHow.com

http://www.ehow.com/how_4768978_dress-according-shape.html

- Determine your body type and look for styles that fit your particular build.
As an example...I am tall and large framed, with a slight pudge around my middle section, i.e. I do not have an hourglass figure. :blush:
I have to go with clothing styles that minimize a large upper torso and a trimmer lower body. For tops, I choose loose tops (vs clingy) and wear stretch slacks underneath, with a boot or flare cut. I rarely tuck them in. Pleated pants make my middle look heavier.
I never wear button down shirts closed. I wear a tight fitting camisole or tank top underneath and wear the shirt open over it. A round higher neckline (classic T shirt) makes my broad jaw look too wide and my neck too short. V necks and a lower round neckline (think Danskin) lengthen my neck. My calves are very thin, so capris make my thighs look heavier by comparison.
Skin tone is important for color selection. I have olive skin, so yellow, olive green, pale pink, white and brown are not in my wardrobe. Vivid colors work best for me.
- Hold a color up to your face in front of a dressing mirror to see what colors enhance your own skin tone.
- If there is a ladies' store nearby with clerks who give real personal service, it might be worth your while to go there and ask for advice.

I find that if I dress nicely (don't always do that) I'm more confident and HAPPY - at least not depressed. It really helps in the wintertime...nice happy colors that remind you of better weather.:flowers:

Wear what makes you happy, Khan-- not what makes you remember the torturous shopping trip to acquire it.

I find that if I dress nicely (don't always do that) I'm more confident and HAPPY - at least not depressed. It really helps in the wintertime...nice happy colors that remind you of better weather.:flowers:
When I dress "nicely"-- you know, slacks with an aloha shirt, perhaps shoes and even socks*, I'm generally less happy and wishing that I was wearing shorts & t-shirt. I'm certainly not more confident if I'm trying to make sure that I don't slip on those slick soles or spill something on my finery.

But I do have to be careful when laundry day includes soiled rags as well as my usual favorite t-shirts. If I mix them up in the wash then it's hard to sort them when they come out of the dryer.

My idea of dressing nicely is choosing which rash guard to wear surfing...

* "Coat & tie" isn't dressing nicely-- that's just masochistic.

Back
Top Bottom