Join Early Retirement Today

A new debate on paying off the mortgage (or not).
Old 05-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

A new debate on paying off the mortgage (or not).

We've been debating whether it's better to pay off the mortgage or to invest it in higher-return assets (whatever those are). Aside from smiting each other mightily with calculators & statistical theory, IMO to this point the debate has only been a reciprocal diatribe without persuasion. We still have our mortgages.

Linda Stern takes an asset-allocation approach. It doesn't have much to do with the previous debates about historical returns & calculators, so please restrict those comments to that thread. But take a look in this thread at how your own portfolio is affected by a mortgage.

Reuters Finance: Should You Prepay Your Mortgage?

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5008611

According to the article, our own retirement portfolio has risen by our home value (again, "whatever that is") and our mortgage has pushed our asset allocation from 0% bonds to -25%. We haven't included our home equity in our retirement portfolio, and I'm still trying to decide if this is deworsification!

But asset allocation may only be a different approach to solving part of the mortgage problem. In the back half of the article, she gives a nod to the other concerns that we've already brought up.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A new debate on paying off the mortgage (or no
Old 05-02-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords -

This was actually my core point that was apparently lost in the "smiting". In short, replace the mortgage with a portion of your fixed income investment money.

After doing so, one can leave their portfolio with a higher ratio of stocks, which by historical analysis would provide a higher rate of return. Or one can rebalance to the same allocation or one that is lower in volatility due to the lower SWR requirements.

Unless you're getting the current mortgage rate as a low risk bond return (minus taxes and expenses) or forsee that return in the next few years. Right now even high yield bonds are barely beating the mortgage rate, and thats before taxes.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a home equity loan at 3.95% which will be
paid off in 5 years. I could pay it off but have chosen
not to do so at this time. But, I reserve the right to
do so if it seems appropriate in the future. Seems
like a no brainer to me for my situation.

Personally, I do not consider my home as part of
my portfolio in any way other than as an improbable
source of funds if it becomes necessary. We hope
to live here happily ever after and let the kids deal
with the house and all our accumulated junk. Serves
them right!

Cheers,

Charlie (aka Chuck-Lyn)
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

? Am I reading the link right? Over a long span, say 30 yr fixed, then there are likely to be periods where the numbers say pay ahead on your mortgage by the amount you're allocating to bonds and then buy bonds when the interest rate exceeds your fixed mortgage by enough to make them the better buy.
I.e. switch as the numbers/interest rate changes?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 05:26 PM   #5

The main reason I am reluctant to pay off the
home equity loan is that it would tie up a big
part of my after tax savings and reduce future
options. In my case, my small business just
about covers the monthly payment. If I sell
the business in the next 5 years, I will likely
pay off the loan ... but who knows how I will
see things at that time?

GDER, I would not borrow money on the house to
invest it. That's called "leverage", if I am not mistaken,
and seems risky as hell to me if you put it into anything
other than US Gov debt or AAA bonds. You might be
able to cover the interest on your mortgage with
interest earned on "safe" bonds, but you would not
be able to cover principal payments. You might be
able to take out a "balloon" mortgage and cover the
payoff with bonds maturing at the same time as the
mortgage but that seems like a lot of running in place
to me.

Cheers,

Charlie (aka Chuck-Lyn)
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

In the book Ordinary People Extraordinary Wealth you get many reasons to keep your mortgage. I paid off my mortgage and the benefits were mostly psychological. I feel real peace of mind and it convinced me to leave work early.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Well, here's another way to look at it.

Let's say you have the ability to pay off a $100,000 mortgage at (say) 6%. You ask whether or not you should pay off the mortgage. A lot of people would say no because you can likely invest it at a higher long-term return, plus potential tax breaks for keeping the mortgage.

Now ask the same people: If you owned your home free and clear, would you borrow $100K against it at 6% to invest?

A lot of the people who would NOT pay off the home with a $100,000 lump-sum windfall would also NOT go $100K into debt to invest.

But these are essentially identical situations; the choice is whether you prefer to have $100,000 and a $100K mortgage or you have a paid-off home. But sentiment often changes depending on which way you approach it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

In my case, I retired when the mortgage was paid off, because I knew that at that point I'd have an exciting new budget item coming in to replace it, the family medical insurance.

The insurance budget is pretty close to what the old mortgage payment was.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Let's say you have the ability to pay off a $100,000 mortgage at (say) 6%. You ask whether or not you should pay off the mortgage. A lot of people would say no because you can likely invest it at a higher long-term return, plus potential tax breaks for keeping the mortgage.

Now ask the same people: If you owned your home free and clear, would you borrow $100K against it at 6% to invest?

A lot of the people who would NOT pay off the home with a $100,000 lump-sum windfall would also NOT go $100K into debt to invest.

But these are essentially identical situations; the choice is whether you prefer to have $100,000 and a $100K mortgage or you have a paid-off home. But sentiment often changes depending on which way you approach it.
Ziggy, I like this way of looking at it.

Intellectually I know I could do better investing the extra I am paying down each month, but emotionally, I want to see that mortgage paid off by the time I retire.

It helps to be able to look at the question this way.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #10

I cant find the article to the link anymore. If anyone has it please re-link.

Thanks
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I cant find the article to the link anymore. If anyone has it please re-link.

Thanks
I looked... an OLD thread... long gone...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #12

This was a 4 year old thread - of course the link is gone.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #13

Ha I thought it was just last week Necro threads..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Yeah, I have wondered about the same thing. I know people who refinanced to pull cash out for a home addition, to buy other property (I did that), to pay off other loans... all sorts of things. But I have never personally met anyone who pulled equity out of their home to invest in the market. I assume there are such people but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. Yet, as you say, it appears to be essentially the same thing as choosing not to use cash equivalent funds to pay off an existing mortgage. Seems to expose a weird quirk in our psychology. I guess I am partially guilty myself. I am sitting on cash right now that is earmarked to pay off the mortgage on our weekend place (already paid off the primary). But I won't do so until DW fully pulls out of work. The tax deduction swings our decision now with a continuing high income. When we switch over to a withdrawal mode and are looking at the cost in portfolio to fund the SWR to pay the mortgage the subjective comfort factor tilts us in the other direction.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Yeah, I have wondered about the same thing. I know people who refinanced to pull cash out for a home addition, to buy other property (I did that), to pay off other loans... all sorts of things. But I have never personally met anyone who pulled equity out of their home to invest in the market. I assume there are such people but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. Yet, as you say, it appears to be essentially the same thing as choosing not to use cash equivalent funds to pay off an existing mortgage. Seems to expose a weird quirk in our psychology. I guess I am partially guilty myself. I am sitting on cash right now that is earmarked to pay off the mortgage on our weekend place (already paid off the primary). But I won't do so until DW fully pulls out of work. The tax deduction swings our decision now with a continuing high income. When we switch over to a withdrawal mode and are looking at the cost in portfolio to fund the SWR to pay the mortgage the subjective comfort factor tilts us in the other direction.
I've been working over in my head the basic idea that Ziggy outlined - and the usual argument in favor of not paying (that' i've observed) is the "tax break" - how much difference does that make? Does it say offset the interest you are paying on the loan by a significant amount (combined then w/ the $ you are earning in investments - makes "not paying" a better financial solution?)

We rent but I'm starting to snoop around home values in our area which have FINALLY become within our reach - and the "total cost of loan" basically stunned me out of looking for a while until I can better understand the math! That alone made me feel like paying off earlier was worth it...my parents paid double digit interest in the 80's on the house i'm in now...so the relatively low rates now still put the fear of the universe in me...
Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The tax break is only interesting if you're still working. If you're retired with a mortgage, you have to withdraw $xx to pay the mortgage and pay taxes on that excess withdrawal, in order to receive the offsetting tax break. Not only no free lunch, no lunch at all.

Works if you're accumulating, but if you're accumulating, not within a few years of retirement, and dutifully holding 20-40% of your portfolio in bonds paying 3-5% while paying a 5-6%+ mortgage...well...that math is even easier.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
But I have never personally met anyone who pulled equity out of their home to invest in the market.
I haven't met such folks either.

I do recall reading many proposals to do so in the late 1990s.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Money magazine regularly recommends pulling equity out of the house and investing it in the market on their 'One Family's Finances' (or whatever the proper title is) column.

Bleh. My suggestion - with $800,000 equity in your $1,100,000 home, sell the freaking home, buy a $300,000 home outright and invest the $500,000!

But that's just me.

On taking out a loan at 5.5% (or whatever) and investing it in a balanced AA - yes, the long-term math favors it... BUT! in the short term, you can't predict how markets will perform. If they underperform the expected return for the next ten years, how does it affect your plans? (Doesn't necessarily tip the decision one way or the other, but it should be considered.) For me, the certainty of lower monthly expenses via paying off the mortgage trumps the expected higher return of borrowing and investing. I'm fiscally conservative that way.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I've been working over in my head the basic idea that Ziggy outlined - and the usual argument in favor of not paying (that' i've observed) is the "tax break" - how much difference does that make? Does it say offset the interest you are paying on the loan by a significant amount (combined then w/ the $ you are earning in investments - makes "not paying" a better financial solution?)
For most people considering buying a home there isn't much choice. You don't have enough to buy it outright so you are going to take out a big loan. It is usually a bit cheaper to rent x sq ft in a given area than to buy. But in the early years of a loan almost everything you pay is interest and thus deductible (AMT is a danger here). If you are a big wage earner that could mean that you get back 36 cents for every dollar you pay from the Feds plus whatever from the state. That can make a mortgage seem a lot easier to live with. As the years go buy, you are still paying the same mortgage but rents have (probably) gone way up. Makes you feel downright self satisfied. At some point you have paid back a lot of the loan and the deductible portion of your payment isn't so big. Back in the day, though, you could just refinance and pick up a new 30 year loan on the remaining principle at a lower rate than you had before. Now your deduction is back up and you are probably paying less. But that was when rates kept dropping -- now they are as low as they will go.

Get out your spreadsheets and do the math. I never did
Old 05-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
For most people considering buying a home there isn't much choice. You don't have enough to buy it outright so you are going to take out a big loan. It is usually a bit cheaper to rent x sq ft in a given area than to buy. But in the early years of a loan almost everything you pay is interest and thus deductible (AMT is a danger here). If you are a big wage earner that could mean that you get back 36 cents for every dollar you pay from the Feds plus whatever from the state. That can make a mortgage seem a lot easier to live with. As the years go buy, you are still paying the same mortgage but rents have (probably) gone way up. Makes you feel downright self satisfied. At some point you have paid back a lot of the loan and the deductible portion of your payment isn't so big. Back in the day, though, you could just refinance and pick up a new 30 year loan on the remaining principle at a lower rate than you had before. Now your deduction is back up and you are probably paying less. But that was when rates kept dropping -- now they are as low as they will go.

Get out your spreadsheets and do the math. I never did
Yes - that is what i'll have to do. We're somewhat protected cuz we're renting from my parents and paying WAY below market - but they could end up needing to selling it - so i'm giving myself about a 3-5 year window to figure it all out and decide what to do! In that time we should have enough saved for about 10% or more down on a home in socal...which we don't now...

Tags
mortgage