Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

A pension domino falls
Old 01-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A pension domino falls

The new pension law used for the first time:
Quote:
A pension fund in Cleveland became the first plan to approve benefit cuts for current retirees — before the plan has run out of money.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9f874012f60a

This only applies to multiemployer pension plans but does IMO set a precedent.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Sounds like the members themselves voted for it:

"The fund’s proposal was green-lighted by the Treasury Department late last year. The plan was then put up for a vote by the members of the pension fund."

Which is probably smart when you are not going to get any bailout.
Take a haircut now or starve later.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Washington Post link requires you to sign up for emails.
Here's a different one.
NewsDiffs | Diffing: In unprecedented move, pension plan cuts benefits promised to retirees
Old 01-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #4

I guess they are not to big to fail.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), who is critical of the cuts, called on Congress to find a long-term fix. “Too many retirees across Ohio face uncertainty over the benefits they’ve earned,” he said. “We need to work on a bipartisan solution to protect Ohio workers from the mistakes made by those managing their funds.”
And why should I (as a US taxpayer) contribute to bailing out these Ohio workers for mistakes made by those managing their funds? Why not clawback management fees from those who mismanaged the funds? Sorry, but I don't see why taxpayers should pay for this mess.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
And why should I (as a US taxpayer) contribute to bailing out these Ohio workers for mistakes made by those managing their funds? Why not clawback management fees from those who mismanaged the funds? Sorry, but I don't see why taxpayers should pay for this mess.
+1.

If the US Congress helps, the floodgates will open, so I assume they won't. Why reward any pension plan that quit paying in (e.g. Illinois) or kept overcommitting benefits when there are plans that are (more) solvent?

That it will come as a surprise to anyone that some public and private pensions will have to enact cuts in the years ahead is ridiculous. But people have been consciously burying their heads in the sand in Illinois and Chicago re: underfunded pensions for decades. The evidence has been publicized for many years. Another example of kicking the can down the street, those in charge knew a) that their programs were becoming increasingly underfunded and b) but they'd be long out of office before the reckoning. And if a politician told the truth, he/she couldn't get elected. Catch-22.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
What song were you singing when wall street was bailed out?
Old 01-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The same song... I was not in favor of taxpayer bailouts, like many Americans.

However, as I recall, a lot of the TARP funds were forced on some banks... many of them did not want or need the capital and paid it back within a year or two... however the higher capitalization served to calm markets.

Finally, all TARP funds were paid back and the federal government made a tidy profit on the whole deal... the bailout proposed by Senator Brown is a totally different animal... taxpayers will never ever see any money back on that bailout.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
T\

Finally, all TARP funds were paid back and the federal government made a tidy profit on the whole deal... the bailout proposed by Senator Brown is a totally different animal... taxpayers will never ever see any money back on that bailout.
Totally agree on that one!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'll just mention that these multi-employer pension plans are a very different animal. Lots of different rules under the PBGC. Complex, and since I'm not directly affected by them, I didn't do a deep dive into the information, but what I saw looked like it would really take some work to figure out.

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
and the reality may be that the taxpayers will have to contribute either way. if most of the retirees use that pension as their sole means of support, and they don't have money, they could possible need social programs (food stamps) to survive.

lol, I don't understand why I have to pay for a lot of junk I'll end up paying for with my tax dollars.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
The same song... I was not in favor of taxpayer bailouts, like many Americans.

However, as I recall, a lot of the TARP funds were forced on some banks... many of them did not want or need the capital and paid it back within a year or two... however the higher capitalization served to calm markets.

My problem with this is the govt found the money to bail out the megas and continues to find money for the welfare recipients but tells the working man to go to hell.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #13

this thread ain't gonna last very long.

abidee-abidee...abidee........
Old 01-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
this thread ain't gonna last very long.

abidee-abidee...abidee........
He's on the way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pig Vespa Art Bike.jpg (39.9 KB, 327 views)
Old 01-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
My problem with this is the govt found the money to bail out the megas and continues to find money for the welfare recipients but tells the working man to go to hell.
We're using the term government broadly here (Fed, State) but this is reportedly the first example of a pension cut like this. The "working man" won't be singled out, other dominoes must fall - or I agree with you. Other programs will have to be reconsidered too, but retirees may also have to work longer, spend less, etc. something has to give, no way around it. The more broadly the sacrifices are shared, the more equitable IMO.

We're all going to have to come to grips what on balance we want to pay in taxes and what we expect our governments to pay for - such that they zero out. We can't just say reduce taxes and increase services, and elect politicians on that basis. Too many people are hoping unrealistically someone else is told to "go to hell." And too many people complain without bothering to understand how difficult these decisions are, the easy answers they give are nonsense.

Since you don't like the pension cuts, what's your alternative?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Since you don't like the pension cuts, what's your alternative?
Not really a solution but just a thought that if taxpayer dollars can bail out the rich donor corporations surly the same should be done for those pensioners.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not really a solution but just a thought that if taxpayer dollars can bail out the rich donor corporations surly the same should be done for those pensioners.
Do you expect those pensioners to pay back the bail out funds like the corporations did?

I don't think it would work that way.

It's not an equivalent situation.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Do you expect those pensioners to pay back the bail out funds like the corporations did?

I don't think it would work that way.

It's not an equivalent situation.
But that is why the pension insurance corp should have been properly funded.

Lets try this idea: If your bank went belly up and you were counting on FDIC to cover their loss but the govt said "So sorry we didn't properly fund fdic you only get 50%" What would say to that?
Old 01-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
After some of those "working Man" folks become welfare recipients, they will be eligible for govt money which is really MY TAX DOLLARS.

How about me: I don't get any pension ! - So really I'm the worst off.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
After some of those "working Man" folks become welfare recipients, they will be eligible for govt money which is really MY TAX DOLLARS.

How about me: I don't get any pension ! - So really I'm the worst off.
That was a personal decision. Or just bad luck if your pension got converted to a 401k. That would make it "the free market."
Closed Thread