A piece of fluff I actually agree with...

poor DW, she married a relative spendthrift

I can say that this is a primary reason I have an ex-wife. The writing was on the wall, but when you are 22 years old, you don't always make the *best* decisions.

I remember like it was yesterday when the ex said something to the effect of, "If I can afford the monthly payment, what is so bad about carrying a balance?" At that very moment, I knew we were doomed.

When we divorced (about 14 years ago?), she moved back in with her mother. As far as I know, she is still there.

I've always heard that money is the main thing couples fight about. With DW and I, we pretty much fought those battles long ago and came to acceptable truces. Now DW and I are pretty much in tune on spending though we each have our little extravagances we've learned to accept in each other. Bottom line is that we have no debt and income still exceeds outflow. So I think we're good. YMMV

DW & I have a policy: "It's money, don't piss it away."

I was a total tightwad when first married and DW was not so much. We have both migrated to the middle. It helps to be FI now.

DW & I have a policy: "It's money, don't piss it away."

we also have one: "it's just money"

she actually let me buy this beauty last weekend - hey, it's a real asset

Attachments

• ford.jpg
    ford.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I knew I was going to marry my husband when he won a large amount of money in a poker game and the next day he invested it. We almost never argue about money- when we do we usually argue about how to invest not how to (or how not to) spend it! :D

we also have one: "it's just money"

she actually let me buy this beauty last weekend - hey, it's a real asset

Must admit...I do miss my extended cab, F250 stick shift diesel.

I can say that this is a primary reason I have an ex-wife. The writing was on the wall, but when you are 22 years old, you don't always make the *best* decisions.

Same here, only I was 27. But I learned from the experience, and unlike most people who divorce I did not make the same mistake again. The divorce rate on 2nd marriages is something like 70%.

Didn't know my DH too well before we married (just knew him two weeks). That was 38 years ago...started with nothing and have built our wealth together. Enjoying life along the way.

Now we are spending together. Must admit I spend more than him because he hasn't wanted to travel to some of the places I have wanted to go. Went to New York for 10 days in December with my sisters and had a blast. He didn't wish to go there.

Married 47 years. At first I was far more of a tightwad than my wife. Over the years however the roles have reversed and now I'm the one that wants to do cruises and eat out and so forth. Maybe a health episode last year is driving my renewed interest. Come to think of it, maybe that's why my wife doesn't want to spend as much...so there will be some loot left and she can go have fun after I kick the bucket..

I remember like it was yesterday when the ex said something to the effect of, "If I can afford the monthly payment, what is so bad about carrying a balance?" At that very moment, I knew we were doomed.

When we divorced (about 14 years ago?), she moved back in with her mother. As far as I know, she is still there.

Same here. My X had the same attitude. Was awful. Left her 25 years ago but still paying alimony. Most expensive "mistake" I ever made. Worth it to have her (mostly) out of my life though. Current spouse and I are on the same wavelength re money, mostly.

Last edited:
I've got you all beat, my wife is still on the original dryer sheet.

Love the expression, people spend money on stuff they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like.

Same here. My X had the same attitude. Was awful. Left her 25 years ago but still paying alimony. Most expensive "mistake" I ever made. Worth it to have her (mostly) out of my life though. Current spouse and I are on the same wavelength re money, mostly.

25 yrs of alimony :nonono:

Obviously I don't know the circumstances, but that is INSANE.. worth it to get a lawyer to review how to end it (besides dying). :flowers:

I remember like it was yesterday when the ex said something to the effect of, "If I can afford the monthly payment, what is so bad about carrying a balance?" At that very moment, I knew we were doomed. .....

My friend asked a woman friend who is NOT rich, how much she owed on her credit card, and she told him $100. About a month later I was visiting her and her cc bill was lying out in the open, it had about $5,500 balance on it, but yep, the minimum payment was about $100 :facepalm:

Obviously I don't know the circumstances, but that is INSANE.. worth it to get a lawyer to review how to end it (besides dying). :flowers:

Family law is quite different in Ontario (Canada) than in the US. I had the best lawyers in the country, still do. I do have a way out that involves buying her a life annuity to replace the alimony. Will be a multi million dollar cost, but in my view, worth it to finally remove her completely from my financial life.

That is just the tally so far. Many lawyers believe that you married for life and you should get a life sentence for divorce too.

My lawyer argued that the alimony would leave her with 3/4 of my pension so agreed to a ten year limit.

Last edited:
My DW is exactly on the same page as me financially, which in large part explains the 29 years of wedded bliss. I do have a funny story though:

When we were in our 20's and had a credit card balance at 18% interest, she thought it was 18% PER MONTH. So needless to say, she paid it off quickly! I should never have told her it was per year... But in reality, she's been better than me about living within our means and saving for the future, so I'm very, very grateful.

Me too! :blush:

First wife lasted 2 1/2 years (separated 1 year) then divorced. I thank my lucky stars that I was smart enough to have a prenup in place. :dance:

Second Wife - We've been together 8 years and married 6 of those years. We are both on the same "cash management & retirement plan." She is definitely a keeper!

Michael

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom