A retirement discussion

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
For general discussion
While I am not personally into investing, except for some old stocks held forever, I do follow some of the online financial websites... This current discussion from one of the sites,
Ask the Adviser: Investing for Retirement | Peak Prosperity
poses some of the exact same questions that we see here on a daily basis... In particular...

A disproportionate percentage of the questions our readers have submitted are about retirement. So this podcast focuses exclusively on that topic, addressing such issues as:

If much of my retirement capital is within an employer-sponsored plan, what are my options?
What are the risks of keeping my money in a retirement plan for years to come?
Even though I'm not retired yet, should I cash out of my 401k/IRA?
If I withdraw early to invest in other assets, what sort of hit will I take? Are there ways to avoid early withdrawal penalties?
If I'm over 59 1/12, how should I determine my schedule for making withdrawals?
How can I hold precious metals in my retirement account?
What is a non-traditional IRA and what investments can I hold in it? How do I go about opening one?
What exactly are annuities? Do they make sense any more as a retirement vehicle?
In addition to the podcast,there is a full transcript

This is a commercial site, so keep that in mind, but at the same time it's a plain talk "discussion", and not a lecture. My guess is that most of the more sophisticated investors here on FIRE won't be too interested, but it is what it is, and some will find it enlightening or somewhat helpful, and could prepare the way for talking with ones' own advisor.

Submitted for whatever interest it may have.

I'm curious about this: If you are not personally into investing, how/why would you have come across this podcast?

This podcast is not about investing or financial planning. This is "end of the world as we know it" fear mongering, predicting the end of the banking system, environmental and energy disaster, housing and stock market breakdown, possibly the demise of money, and they sell newsletters and survivalist supplies. Utter nonsense disguised as "financial advice" including keep your cash and gold at home, stock up on food and commodities, form neighborhood protection collectives, buy some guns and learn survivalist skills. And they have a "network" of advisers who can "help" you avoid the catastrophe they alone see.

Oh, and they ask for donations to spread their message, too.

Last edited:
For general discussion
While I am not personally into investing, except for some old stocks held forever, I do follow some of the online financial websites... This current discussion from one of the sites,
Ask the Adviser: Investing for Retirement | Peak Prosperity
poses some of the exact same questions that we see here on a daily basis... In particular...

In addition to the podcast,there is a full transcript

This is a commercial site, so keep that in mind, but at the same time it's a plain talk "discussion", and not a lecture. My guess is that most of the more sophisticated investors here on FIRE won't be too interested, but it is what it is, and some will find it enlightening or somewhat helpful, and could prepare the way for talking with ones' own advisor.

Submitted for whatever interest it may have.

I have been a subscriber for many years and although I do not listen to the podcasts, I enjoy reading their weekly news updates. I think anyone who does not have a degree in Economics would benefit greatly by spending the 3 1/2 hours required to do the free "Crash Course" that is offered on this site!

Back
Top Bottom