Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Smile and be happy. Happy days will be here again.
Somehow this reminds me of the sentiment expressed in this clip...
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 12:52 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
These kind of sacrifices makes one wonder if retiring is worth it!
Last week, I tried to slide an $8 bottle by my GF and it met with little appreciation, so I bought an $11 bottle tonight for this weekend to please my "high maintenance" GF.
My wife does not drink. So she thinks that any money beyond a 2-buck chuck ($2.99 where I am) is wasted.

I bought some $15 bottles at Bevmo, but they had this deal of 5c for the 2nd bottle. When drinking them, I told myself that I was drinking a $15 bottle, not a $7.5 bottle. What do you think?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Somehow this reminds me of the sentiment expressed in this clip...

Perfect!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:10 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am sad about this year. I am down 200K from my high, some of it I spent but down 100K this year on investments. Two full years retired now and it is a little scary but I know it will come back. I have enough cash to last 6 months or more so not really desperate to sell low but it feels really bad. I for a few seconds thought about looking for a job but remembered I don't want to work.
Sometimes I simply look at my balance and think how many would think they won the lottery if they had as much I as I have left and try to be happy. I can lose another 50% and still be fine.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:22 AM   #25

It's a great time for those of us unfortunate enough to still be in the accumulation phase.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:54 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
These kind of sacrifices makes one wonder if retiring is worth it!
Last week, I tried to slide an $8 bottle by my GF and it met with little appreciation, so I bought an $11 bottle tonight for this weekend to please my "high maintenance" GF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan, I'll bet she won't notice if you save those $12 empty bottles and re-fill them with wine from the $8 ones.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:59 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

I made the decision to retire at the end of May 2016 on 1/11/16 so some of the blame on the market decline can be put on me! I haven't given my notice yet (I figure that 60 day notice is about right) and do have the option of backing out but at this time haven't yet thought of changing my mind. It is somewhat unsettling thinking of going into retirement with the market "cratering" (sequence of returns problem), but we wont have to be taking any $ out of investments for approx. 5 years (have other sources of income and DW and I will work some PT) so I think I am fine to ride it out (I hope!...lol).
Billk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #28

Lol, hey I accepted a bye-bye package. Of course I'm drinking nightly and praying to every known deity. I keep saying " this to shall pass"

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #29

I pretty much knew that whenever I made the plunge, it would trigger some sort of correction, which is why I made the decision 2 years ago to "Two more years"...

Hopefully the extra padding will cushion the fall.
Carry on.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:08 AM   #30

I retired on July 1 of this year. I had cash to last me through 2016, and dividends coming in to cover another 4-6 months. Except for some unplanned furniture purchases, our spending has been below the budget by about 15%. I look at the market value of the investments, and alternate between a desire to cut back on expenses, and a realization that the nest egg is big enough to cover us until 95 unless we have 4 years of -20% per year drops. I did some mental gymnastics on should I have stayed in the w*rkforce for another 6-12 months. The $ answer is that with the decline in the market, it would have been 1 1/2 years or more before the nest egg would be sufficient to my mind (the drop would cause me to want even more of a cushion). The comments from the office tells me that the office politics are even worse than the presidential politics! The mental health costs would be high!

I have resigned myself to minor changes in our spending (and the health insurance I budgeted for is already down by 20%!) and turning off the economic news for a while.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:08 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
I am sad about this year. I am down 200K from my high, some of it I spent but down 100K this year on investments.
I know what you mean! I spent a lot in 2015 on buying my Dream Home, selling my old home, and moving. But I'm amazed to discover that the drop in my portfolio just since January 1st, exceeds that amount! Whew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Mulligan, I'll bet she won't notice if you save those $12 empty bottles and re-fill them with wine from the $8 ones.
Hey, I have an idea. Maybe SHE can provide the wine, in which case he can demand a $50 bottle every time. This also has the advantage of allowing her to prove that she is not a gold digger.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
It's a great time for those of us unfortunate enough to still be in the accumulation phase.

Mixed fortune. Most piles shrinking, but new contributions buy shares at a discount.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #33

Fast approaching 2 years retired. So far I am sleeping well at night because I am more conservative with my AA than most people here. I am sitting on more than enough cash/CD's to cover living expenses until DW and I reach FRA SS, which is 3 years for me and 4 years for DW. When we are both drawing SS we expect that we will not need to touch our investments as we will also be drawing a couple of very tiny pensions plus an inherited annuity.

As we spend down our cash/CD's over the next 4 years to support our retirement our allocation in stocks will naturally increase, maybe into the range of 40%-45%. That is probably where it will remain as I am comfortable with that.

So I am staying the course and in fact I have some excess cash that I will probably drop into SP500 or Wellington if Mr. Market drops a bit more.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #34

I know how you feel. ER'd Sept 18, 2015. I thought having gone through 2008 would have hardened me much more than it has. I thought my response to a downturn would be, "Well, nothing could be as bad as that was. This is cake".

But I didn't know myself very well. I am quite unhinged by the current drop, even though I am 50/50 and have 3 years of living expenses in cash. I learned from 2008 not to give in to the anxiety and cash out, but the living with fear is putting a serious damper on retirement.

A couple of coping strategies are marginally working for me. I review my plan A,B and C which makes me feel a little more in control. Also I tell myself that it was a waste to ER if I'm going to MAKE MYSELF as miserable as I was in my last job.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

misshathaway, I'm surprised at my own response as well even though it is the reverse of yours. Honestly I thought I would be more worried than I am because I remember all the angst expressed by retirees on the forum back in 2008-2009. 2008-2009 happened mostly while I was still working, so I had to figure out whether or not to go through with my long time plan of retiring in November of 2009 (I did).

But now, I am retired and there is nothing to decide. So, no worries. If necessary I will cut back on my spending, but I don't even see that as necessary for quite some time if ever. Meanwhile, "Laissez les bons temps rouler" as we say down here.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Nothing like losing 5% (or is it 7% by now) of one's NW in the first couple of weeks of retirement to bring any lingering second thoughts to the surface.
Welcome to ER.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #37
Confused about dryer sheets

Also retired effective Dec 31, 2015. Yes, I admit that we are very concerned. I vow daily not to pay attention to the market but I find it appears everywhere I look!!!

Trying hard to enjoy our 3 month snowbird experience in Florida. We have enough cash/bonds for a couple of years but just not how we wanted to start retired life.
molly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #38

Between year-end capital gain distributions last month and expected future dividends, I've got enough cash to last 2 years without selling anything.

Something tells me the markets will look different 2 years from now. If they are worse, then I'll stick to my plan and sell from my short-term 30/70 bucket.

Part of me is glad to get this inevitable drop over with.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #39

If this market's gyrations have you worried, you AA is not set to your level of comfort with risk. See this:

The Retirement Café: What I Do When the Market Tumbles

Specifically:

Quote:
Here’s my theory. If you have such a high allocation to equities that market declines make you anxious, you own too much stock. Find the allocation at which severe bear market losses won’t keep you up at night.
and this:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...ewpost=2753280

Specifically:

Quote:
Don’t rely on gurus, shamans or talking heads.
Do notice your own state of mind.
Don’t take actions while in a state of discomfort.
Do notice the panic around you.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Lots of advice here to not watch CNBC, but I say all things in moderation! Here's a nugget from Jack Bogle yesterday (including a line I thought I originated in a totally different context).
"Don't do something, just stand there........"

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/20/inves...he-course.html