Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm with you guys; I truly hope the class of 2015 does become the example for bad sequence of returns!

I keep reminding myself that this is why I worked 2 more years to get to a 3% WR. I figured the worst that happens is (a) I don't get to increase my spending based upon a new all time portfolio high at 3% and (b) there is a possibility that I will need to live solely on SSI at the age of 90 or so. In either event there is no denying that the past 7 months have been AMAZING.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I'm with you guys; I truly hope the class of 2015 does become the example for bad sequence of returns!

I keep reminding myself that this is why I worked 2 more years to get to a 3% WR. I figured the worst that happens is (a) I don't get to increase my spending based upon a new all time portfolio high at 3% and (b) there is a possibility that I will need to live solely on SSI at the age of 90 or so. In either event there is no denying that the past 7 months have been AMAZING.
I hope the class of 2015 won't have to endure any severe sequence of return risk. As for the past 7 months...no big deal.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I retired Jan. 2008 & every time we have a larger than usual drop my mind goes to " Oh no not this again".I then remind myself that I lost 40% of my portfolio and even though I complained a lot I did not sell or go back to work and everything turned out fine .

+1, retired March 08, did not panic and all was, eventually , well.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #64

Just checked my account balances for the first time since January 5th when I pulled two months cash out. (Instead of the full 1st Q spending - my lame attempt at market timing.) Since fear and greed are my portfolios greatest enemy I try not to look at the balance anytime volatility is high, both up or down.

I am surprised I'm only down about 4% (of course Friday was a good catch up day.). On the minus side the market took care the rebalancing I was going to do next week. Or I could look at as a day off from the 10 two hour work days a year I put into my portfolio manager job.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #65

de
Quote:
I'm with you guys; I truly hope the class of 2015 does NOT become the example for bad sequence of returns!

EEK! I just noticed that the word NOT is missing from my original post! Sorry about that!!!!
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
de

EEK! I just noticed that the word NOT is missing from my original post! Sorry about that!!!!
I was worried about you ... NOT.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
A Test of ER Resolve
Old 01-23-2016, 11:41 PM   #67

A Test of ER Resolve

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
As cool as Bogle is, and he is a legend, remember that he makes his livelihood by having investors stay invested with his firm .... His comments represent a conflict of interest if you ask me, no matter how right or wrong he may be.

Or maybe because he knows Vanguard customer service is horrible, they can't handle any more calls. I've just experienced this recently and question whether I should move be my 401k to Vanguard at all. Just terrible service. I've heard it's pretty common.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-24-2016, 02:01 AM   #68

I am in bit of a different spot. I ER'ed April 1, 2015 but have my equities invested for dividend income. So I pay less attention to the day to day price fluctuations and focus on the companies' ability to sustain the dividend, and grow it. I have had a few dividend increases in the last two months, which helps to allay the fears. The portfolio is primarily large cap, blue chips with strong dividend growth histories. That said, i have losses on paper that aren't fun.

-BB
Old 01-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Or maybe because he knows Vanguard customer service is horrible, they can't handle any more calls. I've just experienced this recently and question whether I should move be my 401k to Vanguard at all. Just terrible service. I've heard it's pretty common.
I don't know how long you've been with VG. I've had to call in recently several times (unusual for me). I've been on hold a bit but nothing terrible. When there is market panic like recently, I think that should be thought of as unusual circumstances.

What matters most to me are costs and availability of the investment options I need.

Also it has been reported that VG has experienced large inflows in recent years. I suppose there may be some growing pains. I'd suggest you give it more time but if you want to move on there are some good alternative out there.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
A Test of ER Resolve
Old 01-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #70

A Test of ER Resolve

I've been with Vanguard since the early 90s. I never experience anything bad. I was able to transfer money in and out with no problem, I had slight problem with Fidelity before, as in they didn't want to part with my money, but not with vanguard.
This week Vanguard had made so many mistakes that it was unbelievable, they did the same to my secretary, it took them 6 months to transfer her money from another brokerage to Vanguard. I never thought it would happen to me until now.
The wait time didn't bother me, the messing up did. Too many mistakes that I didn't think I care to list here.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum