Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

A Variable Annuity that Works
Old 09-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A Variable Annuity that Works

From 3 strategies to guarantee income in retirement - Sep. 21, 2009 This is the way to make a
variable annuity work - just have 150%!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Even investing 100% in annuities and the other 50% in stocks and bonds you only have a 92% chance...
Old 09-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Even investing 100% in annuities and the other 50% in stocks and bonds you only have a 92% chance...
Yes, especially if your state only guarantees the first $100,000 of an annuity in the event the company offering it craters before you are 95.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Based on this post, I am slicing and dicing: 100% in stocks, 100% bonds, 100% cash, 100% annuities, and 100% in pork bellies.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why would someone conclude the variable annuity works when you can increase the chances of success from 92% to 99% by replacing it with an immediate annuity?

I have some reservations about these calculations, but even if I accept them at face value, it seems like all this is doing is telling us that an immediate annuity is better than a VA. And it doesn't account for the chance of an insurer to fail and it doesn't account for people who want to preserve capital to pass to their heirs.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Why would someone conclude the variable annuity works when you can increase the chances of success from 92% to 99% by replacing it with an immediate annuity?

I have some reservations about these calculations, but even if I accept them at face value, it seems like all this is doing is telling us that an immediate annuity is better than a VA. And it doesn't account for the chance of an insurer to fail and it doesn't account for people who want to preserve capital to pass to their heirs.
Uh... Ziggy. Re-read the thread (especially the arithmetic) with your sarcasm radar turned up a notch .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Finally I understand the power of leverage...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #8

Sign me up!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
You need more income than Social Security and pensions will provide, but you want access to more of your savings than Strategy 2 allows.
"I'll go broke eight times as often, but look at how much more money I'll have!"*

Quote:
I have some reservations about these calculations...
150% of the people who make these math errors suffer a 200% loss of credibility... 92% of the time.

* This endorsement has been brought to you by the Variable Annuity Sales Association. Remember to check out our equity-index products, too!!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Immediate annuities right now only pay 4-5 % not 8%. Big difference. I just checked last month for a joint IA for wife & myself.
sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #11

Mysto - Many thanks for revealing the secret of making 100% --> 150%. All I have to do is make a pie-chart with four sections!

I'm going to get to work on it right away. I'm gonna make one apple, one cherry, one...
Old 09-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Uh... Ziggy. Re-read the thread (especially the arithmetic) with your sarcasm radar turned up a notch .
It's not the sarcasm radar -- it's the early morning lack of coffee.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish View Post
Immediate annuities right now only pay 4-5 % not 8%. Big difference. I just checked last month for a joint IA for wife & myself.
The article is correct. 65 year old male gets about 7.9%. You are right though, a joint annuity pays about 5% for the same age group.

Rich - you forgot foreign and gold - You'll need at least another 200%

Telly - I like pecan

I just posted this to show off the financial experts that all told us about the recession - right after it crashed - but they did it 800%
Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

That graphic is hilarious, Mysto--good catch! And several hours later, the 150% portfolio is still on the CNN website.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That graphic is hilarious, Mysto--good catch! And several hours later, the 150% portfolio is still on the CNN website.
And I notified them right after I posted. But remember, CNN the most trusted...
Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Cynics. I read the literature and with the variable annuity you do get an extra 50% so there is no math error.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Cynics. I read the literature and with the variable annuity you do get an extra 50% so there is no math error.
If this thread tracks with history a swarm of professional annuity salespersons will be along shortly to show us the error of our cynical thinking.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Mysto - Many thanks for revealing the secret of making 100% --> 150%. All I have to do is make a pie-chart with four sections!

I'm going to get to work on it right away. I'm gonna make one apple, one cherry, one...
banana cream and lemon meringue, please.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
And I notified them right after I posted. But remember, CNN the most trusted...
Dear Ms. XXXXXX,
Apparently the numbers for Strategy #3 were incorrectly entered when posting the online version. The percentages for Strategy 3 on page 94 in the October issue of MONEY do indeed add up to 100%. I’ve sent a note to the online folks asking them to correct the numbers. Thanks for alerting me, and I hope I caught you before you rushed out and invested 150% of your money.
Regards,
Walter Updegrave

I plan to write back and tell him I took my HELOC and IRA and bet the farm so I could invest 3 times as much! At least he was trying to correct it and still has a sense of humor!

BUYER BEWARE is the rule.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Connie, that's a very funny response!