Join Early Retirement Today

About that Economic Stimulus Payment
Old 06-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
About that Economic Stimulus Payment

I filed taxes on 13 April, and the software said I was eligible for the ESP. But I received no notice and assumed I wasn't eligible (no earned income or SSA).

Monday there was a snail mail from the IRS telling me I am indeed entitled to $600, and it should arrive (in my checking account) on 20 June.

I think it's a stupid idea, but I'll take it (and put it to rebuilding my MMA).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Should I start holding my breath? I filed on the last day in ink with lots of white out, included a bank routing number for deposit of ESP. I see my tax check cleared the bank almost instantly. My guess is a flunky at the IRS keeps putting my messy return to the bottom of the pile; and once it does get entered into their computers, they will start the auditing process.

I plan to apply mine to the first month of retirement expenses.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #3

We just got a letter yesterday from the IRS saying the $1,200 check should arrive this week. It will probably go straight to savings with perhaps a little stimulating the economy of a nearby restaurant.

A SIL has already spent hers on credit cards while she waits for the check.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I received notice to expect my share of the rebate around June 10. Immediately spent it on four new tires. Big whoop. Still waiting for the check. The IRS website says my rebate has been "unexpectedly delayed." Are they auditing my return, I wonder?
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
gone traveling

I received my tax rebate $$ in my checking account in May.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I applied every test to the rules for qualifying for the payment and I was definitely ineligible. This week, my government wasted the expense of sending me a notice to advise me that they are sending me a check.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #7

Mine went toward my new washer/dryer. My daughter is waiting for hers since she doesn't have a job right now and needs it for gas.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #8

I also got notice yesterday that my check for $1800. would be here by the 20th - no complaints here!
They must have just sent out a slug of notices and checks -
Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I wanted to stimulate the world economy by buying a Wii. However, after looking for one I can report that they are still hard to find around here, and expensive, so I just might give up and keep the money instead!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We just got a letter yesterday from the IRS saying the $1,200 check should arrive this week.
Well, the gov't does enjoy flushing money, wasting time, and killing trees. Why do they keep sending those stupid letters about each step? First letters to remind people to do taxes, then accouncements that your check is coming.

They should mail us a check by the end of next week.
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm hoping that our check comes in time for our trip to Mongolia at the end of next week, so I can use it to stimulate their economy instead of ours.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #12

got mine last week. bought "economic stimulous rebate" "gift" cards from my supermarket, paid with a "cash rewards" credit card, recevied an additional 15% (10% from the supermarket, 5% on the rewards cc.) i'll be buying groceries in any case, and would normally use my cc, so it's really just 10% additional, but it's a great deal (unless i misplace the "gift" cards).
d is offline   Reply With Quote
A follow up
Old 06-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

A follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I filed taxes on 13 April, and the software said I was eligible for the ESP. But I received no notice and assumed I wasn't eligible (no earned income or SSA).

Monday there was a snail mail from the IRS telling me I am indeed entitled to $600, and it should arrive (in my checking account) on 20 June.

I think it's a stupid idea, but I'll take it (and put it to rebuilding my MMA).
The ESP did not arrive in my checking account on 20 June, so I reread the snail mail. I had not read the whole thing thoroughly: it said the money would be automatically deposited IF I had had a refund automatically deposited, otherwise a check would be mailed on 20 June.

A $600 check arrived today, it was mailed on 20 June.

So it's off to the Credit Union on Wednesday.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #14

I have been disgusted by the concept of an “Economic Stimulus Payment” since first hearing about it. I was perversely pleased to read that I did not qualify. Today, when I deposited the check to my account, I felt like I was taking a welfare payment or something. I was really surprised to feel that way at the bank teller’s window. Weird.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #15

not to worry, you'll be paying it back
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #16

I did the 10% thing at my local supermarket yesterday. Got $660 worth of gift cards for my $600 check. Only took about a month to get around to it after the check arrived...
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #17

My check arrived last week in the mail. The next morning I deposited it in our checking account. That same evening I logged into the bank to check on the deposit.

Under "pending transactions" there was my $1200 and get this, there was a "HOLD" on $1100 of the deposit. The next morning the account was updated and the hold was gone.

My only thought was, the bank is real trusting of the government. Probably about as trusting as the government is of the banks.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

I have used my Kroger credit card to buy $1200 of Kroger gift cards with an added credit of 10% ($120).
Old 06-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I just received the letter from the IRS last week and the check yesterday. I filed April 14th.
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #20

I filed April 14th and havent received a letter or a check. My SSN ends in 20 so i shouldve been towards the front of the list. Im getting worried / annoyed to be honest.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote