Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

ACA Federal Tax Credits
Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ACA Federal Tax Credits

I have some questions about the way ACA Tax Credits work.

When they refer to income being 400% or less of the "national poverty level", are they talking about AGI, Taxable Income?? What?

What is that number currently (the "national poverty level"?

For Husband and Wife filing jointly, with no other dependents, what is the income threshold (again, which income number are they using?)

I'll have more questions, I'm sure, as some of these get answered and commented on (I hope).

Thanks
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #2

The number you are looking for is not directly on the tax forms. It is a Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI). Check this link for the definition of what counts and what does not.

For a family of two adults... the 400% is somewhere between $63k and $64k as I recall.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #3

The income used to determine the ACA subsidy is the Modified Adjusted Gross Income which for most people is just the AGI (line 37 on 1040). To get MAGI add the following to your AGI:
  • Tax-exempt foreign income
  • Tax-exempt Social Security benefits (including tier 1 railroad retirement benefits)
  • Tax-exempt interest
I would suggest you use one of the ACA subsidy calculators to get an estimate, I've used the Kaiser Family Foundation calculator and it seems to be accurate.
Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

From what i can tell, MAGI does not allow you to deduct Real Estate Taxes, Mortgage Interest, State Income Taxes.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
From what i can tell, MAGI does not allow you to deduct Real Estate Taxes, Mortgage Interest, State Income Taxes.
Correct.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not only is this correct, but MAGI includes "income" from state and local tax refunds and rebates (if you itemized your deductions on the prior year's return), so if you overpaid your state and local income taxes and got a tax refund, that refund is taxable and will increase your MAGI and reduce your federal ACA subsidy. This was a downside of bunching my itemized deductions a few years ago because it would expose a property tax rebate to not only income taxes but to MAGI and a reduction in the ACA subsidy. With my medical expenses a little higher now (due to my recent and ongoing health issues), bunching versus non-bunching makes no difference any more.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Not only is this correct, but MAGI includes "income" from state and local tax refunds and rebates (if you itemized your deductions on the prior year's return), so if you overpaid your state and local income taxes and got a tax refund, that refund is taxable and will increase your MAGI and reduce your federal ACA subsidy. This was a downside of bunching my itemized deductions a few years ago because it would expose a property tax rebate to not only income taxes but to MAGI and a reduction in the ACA subsidy. With my medical expenses a little higher now (due to my recent and ongoing health issues), bunching versus non-bunching makes no difference any more.
A property tax rebate would be taxable if you had deducted the property tax as an itemized deduction they would simply offset each other and zero out. OTOH if you overestimate your quarterly tax payments or over withhold on your W-2 you are simply getting your own money back, why would this be counted twice as income?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
A property tax rebate would be taxable if you had deducted the property tax as an itemized deduction they would simply offset each other and zero out. OTOH if you overestimate your quarterly tax payments or over withhold on your W-2 you are simply getting your own money back, why would this be counted twice as income?
Yes, the property tax rebate (or overpaid estimated state income tax payment) would be taxable if I had deducted the original (overstated) property tax, so that evens out on the income tax side. But I don't get to reduce my MAGI by the amount of any property (or estimated state income) tax, so my MAGI also doesn't get reduced, only increased in the year I claimed the overstated deduction(s).

When I was working up the effects of bunching my deductions, I did it on a 2-year basis and included the net decrease in my ACA subsidy along with the net decrease in my income taxes. They roughly canceled each other out, so I abandoned my effort to bunch my deductions.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have some questions about the way ACA Tax Credits work.

When they refer to income being 400% or less of the "national poverty level", are they talking about AGI, Taxable Income?? What?

For Husband and Wife filing jointly, with no other dependents, what is the income threshold (again, which income number are they using?)

I'll have more questions, I'm sure, as some of these get answered and commented on (I hope).

Thanks
See this: http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/pdf/..._summary13.pdf

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It would not be counted twice as income. Say you earn $100k and $5k of state tax is withheld. You claim the income and the amount withheld as an itemized deduction.

Now, let's say when you do your state return you end up with $4k in tax and get a $1k refund. The $1k refund is shown as income the following year.

So between the two years you report $101k of income and took a $5k deduction for a net of $96k. The reality is that you made $100k and paid $4k in state income taxes for the same net of $96k. The way the forms work, income is overstated by $1k but deductions are as well.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:52 AM   #11

Quote:

You can find the values in the link below. The FPL charts run a year behind due to their late publication date. The 2016 FPL chart listed first will be used for 2017 exchange plans. Further down the webpage is the 2015 FPL chart currently in use for 2016 exchange plans.

Federal Poverty Guidelines | Families USA
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It would not be counted twice as income. Say you earn $100k and $5k of state tax is withheld. You claim the income and the amount withheld as an itemized deduction.

Now, let's say when you do your state return you end up with $4k in tax and get a $1k refund. The $1k refund is shown as income the following year.

So between the two years you report $101k of income and took a $5k deduction for a net of $96k. The reality is that you made $100k and paid $4k in state income taxes for the same net of $96k. The way the forms work, income is overstated by $1k but deductions are as well.
So if you take a standard deduction, this would not apply?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #13

A refund shows up as income regardless of how you do deductions.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

If you take the (federal) standard deduction, you don't declare as income a property tax or state/local income tax refund.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #15
Administrator

A refund of state income tax or property tax is considered taxable income if it was itemized and deducted the year it was paid and then refunded in a subsequent year. If it was never deducted, the refund is not considered income.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

I'm confused. If we are using MAGI, which doesn't allow for state income tax deductions in the first place, why would it add back a refund?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #17

I found this to be one of the simplest explanations of the ACA MAGI -

http://www.consumerreports.org/healt...XTKEY=AYAHRE03

It's all on your Page 1 of the Fed 1040. If you have something in those 2 red boxes (tax exempt interest and Social Security Benefits) in the Income section your Line 37 needs to be adjusted.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm confused. If we are using MAGI, which doesn't allow for state income tax deductions in the first place, why would it add back a refund?
I agree that it doesn't make sense, especially when the taxpayer has no control over the timing of the overpayment versus the refund/rebate.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd like someone to point out where is says mortgage interest is not deductible and has to be added back into your income. Tax exempt interest is not the same as mortgage interest.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #20

Quote:
I'd like someone to point out where is says mortgage interest is not deductible and has to be added back into your income. Tax exempt interest is not the same as mortgage interest.
Not sure what you mean by ''has to be added back into your income'? When you determine your MAGI you're using your AGI, before you itemize deductions. Mortgage interest hasn't been deducted yet so no reason to add it back in.