Join Early Retirement Today

ACA MAGI: Living off of dividends vs LTCG
Old 01-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ACA MAGI: Living off of dividends vs LTCG

I ask this question with trepidation, because I am such a financial, um, moron, but:

Right now I am living off of dividends from taxable investment accounts, and interest income from a savings account. I am always just a hair over the ACA cliff, so I pay full-freight ACA premiums with no subsidy. I am single and buy my policy on the ACA exchange.

Is there an advantage, from an ACA subsidy standpoint, if I get my annual spending money by selling my taxable-account investments, rather than living off of dividend income? That is, would my ACA MAGI perhaps be lower (and not over the cliff) if I lived off the proceeds of sold investments (LTCGs), and not dividends form taxable accounts?

If so, I assume I can just direct my broker to stop paying taxable-account dividends and reinvest them, and then sell taxable-account investments to get my annual spending money, which would be payable at applicable LTCG rates?

Yours sheepishly,

Mo Money
Mo Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

PS
Old 01-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

PS

PS - I am 58, so retirement account assets are not yet available for another year or so when I turn 59 1/2. (Not sure if this is relevant or not, but just in case...)
Mo Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I ask this question with trepidation, because I am such a financial, um, moron, but:

Right now I am living off of dividends from taxable investment accounts, and interest income from a savings account. I am always just a hair over the ACA cliff, so I pay full-freight ACA premiums with no subsidy. I am single and buy my policy on the ACA exchange.

Is there an advantage, from an ACA subsidy standpoint, if I get my annual spending money by selling my taxable-account investments, rather than living off of dividend income? That is, would my ACA MAGI perhaps be lower (and not over the cliff) if I lived off the proceeds of sold investments (LTCGs), and not dividends form taxable accounts?

If so, I assume I can just direct my broker to stop paying taxable-account dividends and reinvest them, and then sell taxable-account investments to get my annual spending money, which would be payable at applicable LTCG rates?

Yours sheepishly,

Mo Money

No. It makes no difference whether dividends are auto-reinvested or not. They are always counted as income (long or short term capitals gains).
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Since you are close to being able to withdraw from your retirement accounts without penalty, what you could do is reallocate where your cash is in an tIRA. Then you wouldn't be hit with the ordinary income from the cash interest unless you actively withdrew the money. Could also do cash in a rIRA but then you lose all the nice tax free growth of equities an rIRA provides.
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This link may help you to determine the elements of income that count:

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/pdf/2019/magi.pdf

I'm not on the ACA, but it appears that whether the income is from capital gains, dividends, interest, or tax-exempt interest, it's included in your MAGI. Also, it doesn't matter if your dividends are paid in cash or reinvested. They're still included as income on your 1099-DIV. They would still need to be included in your MAGI.

How much are you over the limit and how much of a subsidy is it costing you?
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

gwraigty: Using 2018 tax return as a rough guide: AGI around $55000. ACA income limit for single person is $49960 in 2020. So I am approx $5K over the cliff. Going from memory, the subsidy I hoped to qualify for in 2019 was about $250/mo.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The responses are correct, dividends count toward MAGI whether you take them or reinvest them.

If you can, I'd suggest making your taxable account more efficient, if you can. You haven't said what investments you are holding in your taxable account other than some cash so I can't offer any specific advice, but basically it'd be selling off investments with a higher yield, and buying investments that are more geared toward growth with lower yield.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

As gwraigty wrote, it doesn't matter if your income is from dividends of cap gains, taken as cash or reinvested. All will count toward MAGI which is what the ACA subsidy is based on.

Like you, Mo Money, I am on the ACA living off only dividends and cap gains. My income has sometimes prevented me from getting a subsidy, sometimes not. For me, it's the cap gain distributions which pushed me over the subsidy cliff. To finally keep myself off the cliff (starting in 2020), I moved a large chunk of money from an actively managed equity-dividend stock fund into a similar index fund. The cap gain distributions are nearly non-existent, and the dividends are lower. This might be a better fit for you, too.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
gwraigty: Using 2018 tax return as a rough guide: AGI around $55000. ACA income limit for single person is $49960 in 2020. So I am approx $5K over the cliff. Going from memory, the subsidy I hoped to qualify for in 2019 was about $250/mo.
With those numbers, you're $5040 over the cliff for a subsidy of about $3000. It looks like you came out ahead even with no subsidy. Wouldn't the subsidy have to be larger than the amount of income over the cliff for this to be a bad thing?

IOW, I wouldn't take steps to reduce my income by $5000 to pay $3000 less for health insurance.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
With those numbers, you're $5040 over the cliff for a subsidy of about $3000. It looks like you came out ahead even with no subsidy. Wouldn't the subsidy have to be larger than the amount of income over the cliff for this to be a bad thing?

IOW, I wouldn't take steps to reduce my income by $5000 to pay $3000 less for health insurance.
Simply speaking, yes, that's true, but if you can restructure your investments to defer some dividends in favor of growth, you can get the ACA subsidy without really changing your finances. Think total return, not just dividend income.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

gwraighty: My thinking was: If LTCGs were somehow not included in MAGI, then I could simply sell stocks for an amount approximating the money I need to live on, rather than take dividends. Under that reasoning, I could have avoided the cliff, and gotten a subsidy. But I now have learned from this thread that such a strategy is a pipe dream. So I will go subsidy-less.

The good news is that in my area, a 58 year old guy's gold-level coverage is under $700/month, with 800 deductible and 5000 OOP max. Not a bad deal.

Every time I hit a losing strategy and have my pipe dream disappear into thin air, as now, I remember to be thankful that (a) I have many first-world problems; and (b) I have a forum like this to bounce ideas off of.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
gwraighty: My thinking was: If LTCGs were somehow not included in MAGI, then I could simply sell stocks for an amount approximating the money I need to live on, rather than take dividends. Under that reasoning, I could have avoided the cliff, and gotten a subsidy. But I now have learned from this thread that such a strategy is a pipe dream. So I will go subsidy-less.

The good news is that in my area, a 58 year old guy's gold-level coverage is under $600/month, with 800 deductible and 5000 OOP max. Not a bad deal.

Every time I hit a losing strategy and have my pipe dream disappear into thin air, as now, I remember to be thankful that (a) I have many first-world problems; and (b) I have a forum like this to bounce ideas off of.

Thanks so much!
Remember, when you sell something, you pay LTCG taxes only on the gain, not the entire amount. So, if you sell $10k worth of shares but the profit is only $2k, only the $2k counts toward MAGI even though you have $10k in your pocket.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Simply speaking, yes, that's true, but if you can restructure your investments to defer some dividends in favor of growth, you can get the ACA subsidy without really changing your finances. Think total return, not just dividend income.
OP didn't specify if all the dividend income was needed for paying expenses. If it is, restructuring won't help. The question about living off of sold investments vs. dividends leads me to believe that OP may not have the wiggle room to live on less, but we really don't have enough info.

Admittedly, I'm not a total return or growth investor. I'm just looking at cash flow here. If OP could have comfortably met all the expenses with $49960, then looking at restructuring may be a better option.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Scrabbler1 - Thanks for the insight, which I only remember half the time...

But it seems that I'm over the cliff regardless of whether I get LTCG or not from investment sales from taxable accounts. Such investment sales would not erase the fact that 50K+ dividends are counted toward MAGI, whether paid out or reinvested.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If you have any capital losses, you could realize those and reduce your MAGI.

If you qualify to make a deductible traditional IRA contribution, that would also reduce your MAGI.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been getting my insurance from the Exchange with a subsidy since 2014. There are two ways to reduce the income that is counted towards being subsidy eligible or not, a contribution to an IRA or a contribution to an HSA. All income counts towards subsidy eligibility and as far as I know only an IRA or HSA contribution reduces it for subsidy eligibility.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Scrabbler1 - Thanks for the insight, which I only remember half the time...

But it seems that I'm over the cliff regardless of whether I get LTCG or not from investment sales from taxable accounts. Such investment sales would not erase the fact that 50K+ dividends are counted toward MAGI, whether paid out or reinvested.
With dividend-paying stocks, you're forced to realize that income whether you need it or not.

If you sell those (paying any capital gains tax) & invest instead for total return, you control when income is realized.

As long as you can live on a mAGI under the $49,960 cliff you can get ACA subsidies.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
OP didn't specify if all the dividend income was needed for paying expenses. If it is, restructuring won't help. The question about living off of sold investments vs. dividends leads me to believe that OP may not have the wiggle room to live on less, but we really don't have enough info.

Admittedly, I'm not a total return or growth investor. I'm just looking at cash flow here. If OP could have comfortably met all the expenses with $49960, then looking at restructuring may be a better option.
No, it does help. Let me use some made up numbers for an example.

Suppose the OP has $1M, all invested in a fund that pays 5.5% dividends. This is $55,000, over the subsidy cliff.

OP sells off that investment, and invests the $1M in a fund that pays 2% dividends. The capital gain on the sale probably knocks him out of a subsidy for this year, but that's ok, we're restructuring it for the future.

The new fund generates $20,000 of dividends. Well under the subsidy cliff, but not nearly enough to live on. So he sells $35,000 of his investment. He's now got $55K to live on, and his MAGI is $20K + whatever small capital gain is realized on the sale. Should be well under the limit.

The assumption is that a fund that pays 3.5% less in dividends will hopefully grow 3.5% or more than the other fund paying more in dividends. Total return investing, and relying on some sales along with dividends to provide the same cash flow.

I doubt the OP's case is quite this simple and these are fabricated numbers, but it shows how one can reduce MAGI while keeping the same cash flow. Whether the OP can do anything like this, I don't know. I did something like this a couple years ago, selling off VTMAX (which gives unpredictable capital gains distributions) and replacing it with VTSAX, a more efficient index fund. I also kept some of it in a CD ladder to help with my cash flow
Old 01-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
With dividend-paying stocks, you're forced to realize that income whether you need it or not.

If you sell those (paying any capital gains tax) & invest instead for total return, you control when income is realized.

As long as you can live on a mAGI under the $49,960 cliff you can get ACA subsidies.
Would you feel comfortable changing your investment strategy from "dividends" to buying the market?

In other words give up your predictable $50K income on (what I assume is a very stable base of companies), and put a $million dollars into a fund that invests in everything according to market? Knowing that every year you will need to pull out $50K by reducing your principle?

Keeping in mind that companies with huge market caps like Tesla, which pays no dividend and lost 1% per share last year, make up twice as much of your ETF's as a company like Ford which earned 4.3% per share.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
Would you feel comfortable changing your investment strategy from "dividends" to buying the market?

In other words give up your predictable $50K income on (what I assume is a very stable base of companies), and put a $million dollars into a fund that invests in everything according to market? Knowing that every year you will need to pull out $50K by reducing your principle?

Keeping in mind that companies with huge market caps like Tesla, which pays no dividend and lost 1% per share last year, make up twice as much of your ETF's as a company like Ford which earned 4.3% per share.
It's what I've been doing for my 9 years of ER, and it has worked well. I've never relied on a dividend stream to cover everything.

The OP will have to decide for himself whether he's willing to switch. He seemed willing to do that in his first post, but didn't quite understand how taxes work. Now that it's been explained, he can decide if it's worth the subsidy.

I'm the same age as the OP and have a similar unsubsidized medical premium, but my subsidy was a lot more last year. This year it's just a little more than what he has, and since I'm very likely going over because of a 2nd home sale, I'm going to take the opportunity to better position my assets to make the subsidy more easily in future years. I crept very close to the edge this year, with little I could do short of forfeiting interest on a CD or intentionally taking a loss on an out of the money option.