Active-duty military: investing the promotion pay raises

Starting at age 38, COLA'd for life with lifetime health insurance? That doesn't sound too bad to me.

compared with what is available in the private sector, it's ok, but not great, considering how low base pay is--although with trends in the American workplace being what they are, it comes off in a better light.

compared with the benefits of the officer corps, it is a pittance.

I don't knock the military at all for being able to retire after 20 years. I was in the military myself for four years active duty. It's a hard life. Most enlisted guys I knew near retirement age when I was in were in pretty sorry shape both physically and mentally. They paid a pretty steep price for that $1600 a month.

I think the true believers don't need your spreadsheet, the skeptical won't believe it, and most won't care. Just my cynicism (as I pass two years retired active duty, and one year past my GS-13 penance at a DoD school).
It may be cynical but it's not misplaced. There are guys on SailorBob.com and RiggedForDive.com who remain convinced that their personal inflation will be 8-10% for the rest of their lives. And if they don't work, then how will they ever get time off from their families?

OTOH I think there are some future true believers out there who are still hoping that there's more to life than 20 years in the military and another 20-30 in CIVPAC...

Good thing I'm not trying to write for profit.

Nords, you might consider something similar for a reservist. Assume 6 years active and then 14 years reserves. Save 25% of drill pay - one drill per month.

Reserves was great for me. I would be stuck at my local nuke plant if I didn't have the security of the reserve pension. That enabled me to jump ship to a new industry with much better development opportunities. Although it is hard to believe that I'm still drilling in my 50s.

Nords, you might consider something similar for a reservist. Assume 6 years active and then 14 years reserves. Save 25% of drill pay - one drill per month.
Good suggestion-- thanks. It's on the "To-Do" list.

Waiting to hear back from Nolo now. I get the impression that the entire industry grinds to a halt in August.

Back
Top Bottom