Active versus Passive

I'm about half and half active vs. passive - all my active stuff is in Fidelity (including 401k) and all my passive is in Vanguard. I've stuck with Contrafund, Growth Co. etc. for almost 25 years now and haven't been disappointed in the returns (vs. S&P), and now I'm in way too deep tax-wise to consider selling them all off for passives instead. Or at least it would take some number of years to do so, so they might be the first funds I pick to sell for expenses if they start getting worse.

Fidelity has been good to me.

Last edited:
Both, portfolio is:
43% indexed stocks
19% managed stocks
6% indexed bonds
32% managed bonds

89% VG and Dodge and Cox mutual funds, all indexed except Wellesley and Dodge and Cox Income

11% individual stocks (BHP, CELG)

AA 41/56/3

My biggest single holding is an index fund that has done just fine over the last 10 years.

My second biggest holding is Wellesley. Enough said.

My third biggest is Wellington. Enough said.

My fourth biggest is an managed bond fund that has crushed its index over 10 years.

My fifth biggest is a managed stock fund that has consistently beaten its index over 10 years.

So, bottom line, I'm happily in the "mixed" category.

Alas, I have 12 funds, 4 ETFs, three stocks, and several individual bonds, so I'm sitting on quite a conglomeration of investments. Eventually I'll simplify more, but for the time being I'm content.

I'm 100% passive. I experimented with some individual stock picking myself years ago with a tiny fraction of my portfolio and determined that I didn't enjoy it/find it interesting, and the active funds my 401ks were in were purely based on what was available at each company I worked at. When I rolled all my existing 401ks into a single rollover IRA at Vanguard, I got rid of all my active funds.

We use 60% VT (passive) for equities and 35% PIGIX (active) for bonds.

VT costs us 0.83% (ER = 0.18% + 0.65% taxes) and PIGIX costs us 0.49% (ER = 0.49% + 0% taxes) per year.

I'm 100% passive. I experimented with some individual stock picking myself years ago with a tiny fraction of my portfolio and determined that I didn't enjoy it/find it interesting, and the active funds my 401ks were in were purely based on what was available at each company I worked at. When I rolled all my existing 401ks into a single rollover IRA at Vanguard, I got rid of all my active funds.
+1

Back
Top Bottom