Active vs Passive Management

I don't think we'll ever be able to definitively answer this question.

Sure we can........ Pick an actively managed fund giving it your best shot. Bet the farm on it. Then add to your will the stipulation that your main heir must hire a FA to do a comparison of how your pick performed vs. the appropriate index and publish the results here. If this forum is still here, and if the interested participants are still alive, they'll then know the answer as to whether you beat the odds and your pick outperformed or not! :)

Of course, that will be totally irrevalent to the active or passive fund question going forward from that point on........ ;)

So I don't think we'll ever be able to definitively answer this question.
It's been studied a lot by academics without a vested interest. Indexing wins. Of course, hope springs eternal ("yeah, but that study didn't include the new tactic that uses 216 day moving averages and a go-no go based on lunar illumination data. In back testing, it bested indexing by 7% per year!"), so the quest will continue.

@bamsphd: Thank you very much for your input. I was hoping folks like you would respond to this thread!
You are welcome.

I am a little uneasy with coin-toss analogy since it ASSUMES as a premise that active managers are dummies and have no value beyond random picks. This of course leads to the conclusion that they are not worth paying. Now, I am not saying this is an incorrect model, but it's certainly not a proof due to this circular reasoning.
I agree.

Having said this, I don't think you were trying to prove the premise itself but were just illustrating your other point on why performance in first 10 years should not matter when funds were picked already based on those years.
Correct.

Here is an issue though - unlike coid tosses, funds' performance varies a lot from year to year. In fact according to Bogle et al, usually it is the FIRST years that bring best results to the funds (which is why they then grow and survive) whereas during LATER years performance suffers. So, looking at years 1-10 and years 3-13 should eliminate those "best first years" and years 3-10 could actually be not THAT great. Still, since years 3-10 DID participate in original fund selection, I do agree they should not carry as much weight in further analysis, but I am just not so sure they should be completely discounted. So, I come to conclusion that while last 3 years should indeed carry quite a bit more weight, 10-year history (for years 3-13) still is somewhat relevant and could be quite different from history for years 1-10.
No. You are biasing your sample, then claiming your bias proves your case.

Suppose you were testing new super anti-cancer drug X against doing nothing. You accept lots of people into your trial. You decide that your doing nothing group will consist of every person in the trial who's last name begins with I. Among everyone who's last name does not begin with I, you ask "have you ever been diagnosed with cancer in the past ten years?" You eliminate from the trial everyone who answers yes. You give drug X to everyone who answers no. Three years later, you announce that in your clinical trials, people who took drug X three years ago had less cancer over the past TEN years than your control group who's names began with I.

That would be a perfectly accurate statement, but it does not tell us very much about drug X.

As an aside by the way, in your own example, it so happens that while fund A outperformed fund B during the 9 years in between (you need 11 quotes for complete 10 years, but you have 10), fund B actually outperformed fund A if you start with 3rd quote instead of 1st.
Oops. Pretend the first year both funds tied with a 0% return. :D

@Free to Canoe: Why would not index funds survive? I would think be definition, their value would go to 0 only if their representative market goes to 0, in which case (for diversified enough index), all the respective funds would also go to 0 (except those that might short).
The Bernie Madoff index fund. He only invests in a proprietary index of stocks which always go up. :)

More seriously, an index fund like any other fund can disappear without going to 0 value. If it is not making enough money, the sponsor can close it. Given that index fund costs are especially sensitive to assets under management, it is hard for a small operator to compete with Vanguard. So while the big Vanguard funds are likely to stay open, a small operator might close their fund because it was not profitable.

Even if the fund does stay open, the sponsor may change what index they follow, or the index may be redefined. Vanguard had done that to a number of the index funds I'm invested in. The changes have been evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, but they have been changes. For example, if I recall correctly, the emerging market fund did not invest in China or India when I first opened my account. They have also changed some indexes to only include the number of shares of a stock that actually trade in their calculations, which applies to some foreign companies that are majority owned by governments for example. I believe Vanguard also generally has to pay a licensing fee to use an index, so I think they will change precise indexes in part just to get a better licensing deal.

I think you bring up a great question: why is VFINX in 56% percentile over 10 years compared to rest of funds in its category:confused:
That result is very sensitive to the start/end dates selected, and can to some extent be blamed on style-drift by other funds in the same "large blend" category. When in this case "large blend" is out performing all the other categories, you will see the "large blend" index funds beat a very high percentage of their "large blend" managed competition. However, when "large blend" lags the other categories, the index funds will beat a much lower percentage of their "large blend" competition. Basically, many "large blend" managed funds might invest 95+% in "large blend" stocks, but still have a few percent in say small-cap or emerging market stocks. That style drift can hurt or help performance depending on how the asset class is doing.

This is a problem if you are trying to carefully control your asset allocation, but otherwise it is basically a wash in my opinion.

@Yrs To Go
Now, I guess the big question is, as ERD50 pointed out, if you pick a fund where manager has been there for a long time and has a long history of both long and short-term outperformance, do you get a better than the random-pick 40% chance of outperforming the index??
c:%5Ctemp%5Csummary.jpg
That is not the question I worry about. A better than random chance of beating the index is not sufficient reason for me to select an investment, unless I can also diversify away or otherwise largely eliminate the possibility of being stuck in that bottom 25% or so for an extended period of time. First worry about the return OF ASSETS, then worry about the return ON ASSETS. :angel: Basically, I can probably do OK if I can avoid shooting myself in the foot by investing in a stinker. How can I avoid the real stinkers?

Sure, there will always be Warren Buffets investing, as well as Bernie Madoffs, and a gazillion basically honest, but more or less average investment managers. If I could predict in advance the Warren Buffets, or the Apple, Dell, Google and Starbucks stocks, I wouldn't be investing in index funds. Regardless of how efficient the market may or may not be, I don't believe that I can use publicly available information to pick stocks or managers that will out-perform a combination of very broadly diversified index funds on an after fees, after taxes, risk adjusted basis over the multiple decades my portfolio needs to last.

Heck, "my portfolio" will probably be supporting my wife long after I'm dead. I can tell her to stick with some fixed percentage index fund allocations and to not withdraw more than 4% a year with some hope that she will do OK. However, having her watch for changes in fund managers, and pick replacement funds seems unlikely to work out well. My father solved that problem by putting my parent's money in a bank managed revocable trust. I'm just too cheap to pay the management fee such a trust would involve. I would far rather retire-early!!!!! :D

It's been studied a lot by academics without a vested interest. Indexing wins. Of course, hope springs eternal ("yeah, but that study didn't include the new tactic that uses 216 day moving averages and a go-no go based on lunar illumination data. In back testing, it bested indexing by 7% per year!"), so the quest will continue.

I haven't seen a study that says indexing beats all active funds over any long period of time. Until that happens, I think their reasoning is suspect. Was there a study that showed 10-year perfomance (roughly the best we can do for now) failed to identify above average funds for the next 10 years? I've seen studies with relatively short time periods, but that would look more random. That latest risk-adjusted Morningstar study was particularly unconvincing. There were still plenty of active funds that beat the indexes, even risk-adjusted. It may even have been easy to pick those "winning" funds, but they didn't go into that.

It is fine to favor one or the other approach, but the data is nowhere near conclusive as far as I'm concerned.

I read an article using the analogy of comparing passive vs active investing to the life expectancy of women and men. I think this analogy is a good one.

The article went, statistics show that overall women live longer then men. But there are some men who live to a very old age. Using this analogy, the active investor's job would be to identify these men who live longer. But the passive investor would be happy with the average life expectancy of all the women.

In otherwords, if the market is like men and women's life expectancy, in a group of men, can you confidently predict who will live longer and who will not and who will live longer than the average woman?

Great points bamsphd. I agree that for people that do not want to do the work of selecting managers, etc. index funds are great. The whole question of selecting managers comes into picture if you DO want to try to pick the winners. Now, the truth is, in my own retirement I do NOT want to worry about picking winners or even following the markets; so I know I will switch to passive investments then.

I guess I am still struggling with the idea that "more work = worse results" which is counter-intutitive to everything else in life. In other words, the idea that the work of trying to select good talent produces worse results than going with average would be considered nonsense in any other field. I think I understand the logic and the arguments; but the results I found so far are not as convincing as I would have hoped as I mentioned in earlier post.

You do mention additional possible explanation for "poor" performance of indexes, i.e. the style drift. That's an interesting thought.

Now, I understand that it's impossible to pick the next Buffett, but I tend to think that there is a whole spectrum between Buffett and total dummies. There are probably plenty of better than average managers (well ~49.999% of them actually hehe), and their results should on average be better than average, would not you agree :ROFLMAO:. (ok, yes, they also have to beat their fees - true). But overall, you don't have to find next Buffett, but just someone in the upper 3rd of all managers...

I'll agree with you on my biased sampling. I was hoping that assigning lower weights for intermediate periods would account for that but perhaps not as much as I would like to believe.

Also interesting comments on the fund closings / changes.

In closing, I just want to mention that my arguments here are mostly for questioning purposes. This thread will in fact make me think more critically of active management and will make me move faster to passive alternatives. Thank you for good discussion!

And you never will.

Good luck!
Or they are biased, I've heard the latest compares S&P index to
active fund managers. So if you have the freedom to buy any
stocks (international, small or mid caps, etc), if you can't beat
the S&P index in last 10 yrs, you need to find a new job.
TJ

Or they are biased, I've heard the latest compares S&P index to
active fund managers. So if you have the freedom to buy any
stocks (international, small or mid caps, etc), if you can't beat
the S&P index in last 10 yrs, you need to find a new job.
TJ

The S&P 500 is becoming a lame index, why not use the Wilshire 5000?

You do mention additional possible explanation for "poor" performance of indexes, i.e. the style drift. That's an interesting thought.

Here's an even more interesting thought. Take the S&P 500 index. Is it really a pure index? The answer is no. Why? Because a committee decides which stocks are added and dropped, etc. In effect, that IS a form of active management........;)

I haven't seen a study that says indexing beats all active funds over any long period of time.
It is fine to favor one or the other approach, but the data is nowhere near conclusive as far as I'm concerned.
And you never will. There'll always be a Warren Buffett tap-dancing just outside the bell curve.

Is your point proved? 60+ posts later, are you happy now? Feeling better?

The point that was lost about 59 posts ago is whether active management is worth the extra effort (assuming that everyone can execute on their effort) and whether it's worth the extra expense/risk of loss. 1-2% in fees sounds like a bargain when you beat the index by 3%. It's not so much of a deal with you lag by 2%. And it's an even worse deal when you realize that volatility has reduced your APY below that of boring index funds.

The point of the passive indexers, though, is that it's a heckuva lot of work to even find that winner-- and then it's even more work to keep ahead of the crowd of "Money" magazine & M* readers racing from winner to winner. My biggest frustration was needing to find a new winner every few years as fund bloat turned them into "shows" or "places". Picking a winner isn't too hard. As Bill Miller's diehard fans have learned, picking a winner every time is a daunting challenge.

Ellis has a great description in "Winning the Loser's Game". We can't all be ace tennis players with flawless kill shots, but most of us can keep the volley going until something else (outside of our control) happens to end the game. He's not saying that the game is for losers-- he's saying that the object of the game is to avoid losing. Avoid mistakes and keep the ball in play for as long as you can. Don't try for the kill shot if it only works 6/10 times and the other four could lose you the game. It's a lot easier to avoid losing when you're choosing passive investments.

In the 1990s, Bernstein took on an active investor named Pony Express Bob over at FundAlarm.com. Bob's tactic was to rank mutual funds by monthly performance and to choose the ones with accelerating improvement (momentum). Despite short-term trends and trading fees and taxes, over the period of the competition (a few months? a year?) he was able to trounce Bernstein's index asset-allocation strategy. This was short term and it was the late 1990s and no comparison was done to 2001-2 or 2008-9, but active management again beat the "professionals". Bernstein then went on to write an article where he said that he'd rather have a life than an active investment strategy. As far as I know, Bob's tactic is still working-- perhaps because it's not as widely followed as it could be.

So choose active investment if it suits your temperament. Stay passive if that suits your temperament better. But a little tolerance goes a long way. Don't insist that one of the two strategies is "right" or "better" just because it happens to be working over your investing lifespan, or if it suits your temperament.

So choose active investment if it suits your temperament. Stay passive if that suits your temperament better. But a little tolerance goes a long way. Don't insist that one of the two strategies is "right" or "better" just because it happens to be working over your investing lifespan, or if it suits your temperament.

Absolutely.

I guess I am still struggling with the idea that "more work = worse results" which is counter-intutitive to everything else in life. In other words, the idea that the work of trying to select good talent produces worse results than going with average would be considered nonsense in any other field.

That is a very interesting way to look at it, and I think it explains why so many people expect an "expert" to do better than average. Seems reasonable, but...

Think about what the "expert" has to do to be above average. An "expert" could be expected do a reasonable (not perfect) job to identify above average companies that are able to reliably execute their business plan, have strong management and financials and identify sectors poised for above-average growth. And to put those two together.

but that's not enough, you need to 'know'...

That the company is not overvalued currently, relative to that expected growth (if that growth is already factored into the stock price, there won't be such a big spike for just performing as expected). And if the growth does occur, that the company will be correctly valued at that time, so that you can take advantage of the expected exceptional rise in the stock price. See the conundrum? You count on it to be undervalued at one point, and overvalued at another, and you hope those co-incide with your vision of the sector direction.

And of course, that growth depends on forecasts not only being correct (many unforeseen things happen to companies and their competition), but more correct than the market on average has already assigned to those companies (current stock prices anticipate future growth). So it really goes from evaluating companies, sectors, and their strength/weaknesses, to more of a case of predicting the future better than the rest of the market. Back to Crystal Ball territory. Then drag it all down by fees.

So I don't think an "expert" financial person can pick above average stock opportunities any better than an expert meteorologist could tell me which of two cities with a historical 10% chance of rain on June 15th over the past thirty years will have a better chance of having rain on June 15th, 2011. They may be experts, but that only goes so far.

I do think there are times when it seems pretty obvious that some kind of "tulip-mania" has driven a stock price higher than is reasonable*, but you have to hope the rest of the world comes to its senses before the general market passes it by. I don't think those occur often enough and with enough certainty to keep enough money working. I think we would see consistent over-performance if that was the case.

* you know, like GOOG at 250 ;), or AAPL at 75 ;) ridiculous prices! ;)

-ERD50

Anyone have a link to this info?

BTW, my Googling failed me - I was looking to find a report from 1998 on the top funds with the best 10 year records - too much noise. Did *those* funds do better than the market from 1998-2008?

Just glancing at the current top ten list, they all seem to be heavily weighted in specific sectors that did better than the market. I would not bet that those will do better than the market for another ten years.

I'd actually be more interested in funds that did a little better (after expenses) than the market. That might actually be an edge that could be attributed to talented management (if there is such a thing) in some cases. But I think the top ten were more likely in the right place at the right time just due to the nature of the fund, and will not be repeated (might even be a contrary indicator).

-ERD50

Just a couple of quick comments on this subject........

The performance of an index is NOT necessarily the "average" performance for that category. Some have been refering to index performance as the "average." Not necessarily so.

There is indexing and then again, there is indexing. My favority "index" is TSM which I purchase via VTI, the Vanguard TSM fund or the Schwab TSM fund. Others prefer slice and dice indexing with the small cap index, mid cap index, large cap index, value index, growth index and so on and so forth.

Few actively managed funds give free reign to managers. Most operate within constraints spelled out in the prospectus. So you're not only picking a manager, you're picking a sector, category or market cap qualifier.

It confuses the hell out of an ole boy like me......... so I go predominantly for TSM for my domestic equity exposure. Or sometimes balanced funds which actively rebalance two or more indexes.

Now, on the fixed side, it's another story..........

BTW, my Googling failed me - I was looking to find a report from 1998 on the top funds with the best 10 year records - too much noise. Did *those* funds do better than the market from 1998-2008?

02/02/98 TABLE: The A-List

A crude and quick analysis of 1998-2008 NAV gives us:

AARP Growth and Income - can't locate symbol
Am. Century Equity Growth (BEQGX): +10%
Am. Cent. Income and Growth (BIGRX): +13%
American Mutual (AMRMX): -3%
Babson Value (BVALX): Closed
Caldwell & Orkin (COAGX): +33%
Dean Witter European Growth (EUGBX): +27%
Dodge Cox Balanced (DODBX): +22%
[...]
Janus Balanced: +60%
[...]
Scudder Growth & Income(SCDGX): -34%
[...]
Third Avenue(TAVFX) :+87%

compared to...
VTSMX: +57%
VFINX: +32%

Think about what the "expert" has to do to be above average.

In my experience, the hardest thing an "expert" has to do is to be a contrarian to the market as a whole, while still being someone I personally agree with enough to give them my money. In my past, when I have agreed with portfolio managers, it seems like we have usually both been wrong. Though I'll freely admit I don't have anything like scientific data to support my admittedly very fallible memory.

I guess I am still struggling with the idea that "more work = worse results" which is counter-intutitive to everything else in life.

But at the same time you probably wouldn't struggle with the idea that someone who invested a lot of time and money to investigate "winning lottery numbers" would produce worse results than someone who just went with the quick pick (or didn't bother to play at all).

Win The Lotto - Home Page

Thanks, I'll dig a bit deeper into that a bit later. One needs to compare total returns as divs can change the picture quite a bit, and that takes a bit more work than NAV.

Just a couple of quick comments on this subject........

The performance of an index is NOT necessarily the "average" performance for that category. Some have been refering to index performance as the "average." Not necessarily so..

Yes, I guess "average" isn't the right term. You can look at an index as a benchmark, and even that has some fuzziness, depending how you define the category. Whether it ends up being "average" or not depends on how the other funds in the category do relatively.

But for an investor, about the only "sure thing" is that if they buy an index in a category that fits their comfort zone, that index is reasonably expected to track that category (minus expenses and +/- some statistical drift). If you pick an active fund, it's tough to say if it will outperform or under-perform.

-ERD50

But for an investor, about the only "sure thing" is that if they buy an index in a category that fits their comfort zone, that index is reasonably expected to track that category (minus expenses and +/- some statistical drift). If you pick an active fund, it's tough to say if it will outperform or under-perform.

-ERD50

Sorta...... Actually an index fund tracks itself, that is, its namesake underlying index, not a "category." SPY tracks the Standard and Poors 500. But it resides in the "large blend" category as do many actively managed funds as well as similar index funds such as VTI. So I guess if you bought an actively managed fund that fit best into the "large blend" category, you could then watch and see how it did vs. other funds in "large blend" including SPY.

I'm probably confusing myself here......

SPY tracks the S and P 500 index as that index is defined. SPY is in the large blend category but doesn't target tracking the "category."

Yep, I'm confusing myself. :blush: No wonder I focus the bulk of my domestic equity investments in VTI (or equivalent) and let 'er ride.

Sorta......

I'm probably confusing myself here......

Yep, I'm confusing myself. :blush: No wonder I focus the bulk of my domestic equity investments in VTI (or equivalent) and let 'er ride.

Heh-heh - I was also wondering if I was getting too deep into semantics versus the reality of what we can actually do. Does an index really make a sound if it falls in the market and no is around to hear it crash? ;)

Our options seem to be - hire a money manager, invest in active funds (kinda the same thing), buy individual stocks, or use index funds. I think that the index approach is most likely to provide the least risk of significant under-performance for most people, but I'm always open to evidence to the contrary. Especially evidence in some form that can be replicated with a reasonable amount of effort and certainty.

-ERD50

Heh-heh - I was also wondering if I was getting too deep into semantics versus the reality of what we can actually do. Does an index really make a sound if it falls in the market and no is around to hear it crash? ;)

Our options seem to be - hire a money manager, invest in active funds (kinda the same thing), buy individual stocks, or use index funds. I think that the index approach is most likely to provide the least risk of significant under-performance for most people, but I'm always open to evidence to the contrary. Especially evidence in some form that can be replicated with a reasonable amount of effort and certainty.

-ERD50

If such evidence ever came to light how long do you think it would take before it would no longer be useful as everyone knows about it? The Efficient Market Hypothesis may not be everything everyone wants it to be but it WILL make short work out of any discovered advantages...

DD

If such evidence ever came to light how long do you think it would take before it would no longer be useful as everyone knows about it? The Efficient Market Hypothesis may not be everything everyone wants it to be but it WILL make short work out of any discovered advantages...

DD

Well, I am an indexing fan, so I tend to agree. But I do try to keep an open mind to the possibility. And I think it is possible (though not likely) for such an imbalance to exist and persist.

People buy lottery tickets, and that is certainly a bad financial decision that gives an advantage to the seller. I think there may be other areas where there is an investment edge, but investors may have reasons (rational or irrational) to avoid them, allowing the advantage to persist.

Possibly ;).

-ERD50

I think the market can look mispriced at times to investers with particular styles.

People invest for different reasons. Short versus long term, or growth versus value are a few. Since the market is a mix of all investors, it certainly could be true that one of these investors would see a mispricing by his or her own measures that would persist for a significant period. Certainly during the market bottom, short term thinking seemed to dominate long term. The market seemed awfully cheap to me for the long term, though in the short term I had no idea where it would go next.

Not every investor holds a stock until the company finally folds and the entire cash stream from that stock ends, the really long term approach. So what is the actual value of that stock to those who invest for shorter terms? And is that value the same for all types of investors?

Back
Top Bottom