Add individual IRA after 401k max?

tmitchell

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi

I'm blessed (?) to be in a high tax bracket currently and am hoping to RE in 2-3 years. While still in the grind I'm maxing out my 401k to take advantage of the tax deferred savings.

Question is: should I also add an individual IRA to my savings plan while employed, or just direct that money into my taxable account? The idea behind the individual IRA would be to do a Roth conversation later on when I'm in a lower tax bracket.

What is the optimal strategy here?

Optimal for high earners is to contribute to the tIRA and quickly convert that to Roth. Optimal for high savers is to avoid the taxed-at-ordinary-income-rates tIRA trap altogether and instead invest via an ordinary account in somerhing like BRK.B that produces the more-favorably-taxed capital gains. This works only while the relevant tax laws remain the same, of course.

Many 401k plans allow you to contribute non-deductible contributions after the maximum. The backdoor Roth is about $7,000 per year. The non-deductible 401k limit after maxing out is $37,000 minus employer contributions. So, lets say you put in the full $19,000 and with matching and profit sharing, the employer puts in another $6,000. This means you could put in another $31,000 for a total of $56,000. This is NOT a Roth but a non-deductible 401k.

How does this help you? You will not be paying taxes on the earnings of the $31,000 each year.

In addition you could do your backdoor Roth.

Last edited:
To take Z3Dreamer's post to the next level.

Many companies allow you to convert your "Post-Tax" contributions to Roth. In plan conversions. This is what gets you tax free earnings.

If the Post-Tax contributions are not Roth, the earnings are still taxable when withdrawn down the line.

Get to know your companies plan in detail. Our megacorp converts Post-Tax to Roth "daily" or with every paycheck. A nice benefit for more places to stash money.

Another place is the company ESPP. A rolling buy at 10% discount, sell immediately plan can be another place to harvest 10%.

Back
Top Bottom