Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

As always, the IRS takes the security of taxpayer data extremely seriously,
and we are working aggressively to protect affected taxpayers and continue to strengthen our protocols.
Isn't this the same outfit that Lois Lerner used to work for?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
He was just questioning whether everyone would be notified, I think.
I see. That's a very good point.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I got the free credit monitoring for a year from Equifax as a result of the IRS hack. The good news is looking at my credit reports, there isn't anything suspicious like new credit accounts or strange charges. So, at first inspection, besides just the letter that my info got compromised, I don't see any damage.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I got the free credit monitoring for a year from Equifax as a result of the IRS hack. The good news is looking at my credit reports, there isn't anything suspicious like new credit accounts or strange charges. So, at first inspection, besides just the letter that my info got compromised, I don't see any damage.
I think it's time to give everyone free lifetime access to their credit report. This "one free year" is a giveaway for the credit agencies, it's better marketing and lead generation than anything they could do.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think it's time to give everyone free lifetime access to their credit report.
+1. And unlimited "freeze on/freeze off" toggles. If the potential victim is willing to do their part to limit the damage from ID theft, the credit agencies (and merchants) should make it easy, and shouldn't charge them for it.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it's time to give everyone free lifetime access to their credit report. This "one free year" is a giveaway for the credit agencies, it's better marketing and lead generation than anything they could do.
Like the old Beach Boys song "Wouldn't It Be Nice..." if there was lifetime access.

A year from now, after my free access subscription is over, I'll still be asking, despite being a hack victim, is continued monitoring worth the $8.95/month or so or not?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #27

Quote:
If I have a credit monitoring service, but then have a "freeze" in place, will that still work? Or will the "freeze" make the monitoring not doable?
If your credit's frozen, monitoring is not going to add any value except, perhaps, if you thaw it long enough to get a new credit card or something.

I'm spoiled, being in NC, we get the federally mandated on report per year for free, plus we can freeze and thaw for free too!

Get on your state legislature to get your state law fixed. Call the law maker who supported "free" when the original law was enacted, but was not successful, and ask how to get it fixed. Or you could just hum a Beach Boys ear bug
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Good point. You don't need monitoring if you have a credit freeze, and you can get free credit reports each year from each agency.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If your credit's frozen, monitoring is not going to add any value except, perhaps, if you thaw it long enough to get a new credit card or something.
I'm not sure about that. The credit rating agency does not authorize credit, only records credit and other activity reported to them. A freeze does not prevent accounts from being opened in your name.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Been working (bad word around here, I know) more on my ID Theft situation. Here's a good site that tells what sort of steps to take:

https://www.identitytheft.gov/

On step 3 is to report the theft to the FTC. I did that online. On Step 4 is file a report with your local police department.

I just came back from my local police department. When I first told the officer why I was there, he kind of chuckled and then I said, "You've seen something like this before?" and he said yes. I showed him my letter and he took down some info that asked too to make sure the letter was legit. So, we talked about that for a moment. Overall he was helpful.

I brought in my printed affidavit that I filled out earlier. There's a section for the officer's signature if filing a report in person. When I asked, can he do that, he freaked out backing off saying no one has ever asked that before. I didn't push it and said I'll just wait for the report (I gotta pick that up in about 10 days).

From what I learn is the affidavit and police report is to CYA in case in the future, say someone breaks the law under your identity or screws up you credit, then you have proof as a victim instead of getting asked "Did you call the police?. How do we know the crook wasn't you?" Plus, the report shows you are victim for freezing and unfreezing your credit reports.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. The credit rating agency does not authorize credit, only records credit and other activity reported to them. A freeze does not prevent accounts from being opened in your name.
It will prevent quite a few accounts being opened in your name because most utilities (including cellphone service) and financial institutions as well as any company extending credit will pull your credit file as part of opening your account. If your credit file is frozen, I don't believe they will open an account for you. That's why you have to temporarily unfreeze your credit file to open these accounts.

Maybe someone can open an account at Ma and Pa's local hardware store under your name.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I know from looking at my credit report, during last year, when I switched from AT&T to Comcast, I see a credit report look by Comcast. Had there been a freeze on, Comcast would probably assumed that I'm a slacker .
Old 09-05-2015, 04:29 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It will prevent quite a few accounts being opened in your name because most utilities (including cellphone service) and financial institutions as well as any company extending credit will pull your credit file as part of opening your account. If your credit file is frozen, I don't believe they will open an account for you. That's why you have to temporarily unfreeze your credit file to open these accounts.

Maybe someone can open an account at Ma and Pa's local hardware store under your name.
They shouldn't open any account when your credit is frozen. Some businesses will go ahead and do so anyway, probably because the risk / reward structure encourages employees to do so. AT&T just opened a new account in my name, with a service address that is not mine, even after sending me a notice stating they would not do so because my credit report is frozen and they were unable to verify whatever it is they verify.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:11 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They shouldn't open any account when your credit is frozen. Some businesses will go ahead and do so anyway, probably because the risk / reward structure encourages employees to do so. AT&T just opened a new account in my name, with a service address that is not mine, even after sending me a notice stating they would not do so because my credit report is frozen and they were unable to verify whatever it is they verify.
Interesting - that seems like an error since they said they wouldn't do so, plus you got a notice!

Monitoring advised because companies make mistakes or have poor control systems - hmmmmm. Probably wise.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I just got a notification letter from the IRS today .
+1. I guess what tipped them off was that the fraudulent return was asking for $$$ and I wrote them a check!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
+1. I guess what tipped them off was that the fraudulent return was asking for $$$ and I wrote them a check!
You got the IRS notification today? If so, I feel your pain. I really do .
Old 09-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #37

Quote:
You got the IRS notification today? If so, I feel your pain. I really do .
Actually yesterday. I had received a number of letters from them since June asking for more information on my return (copies of 1099's, W-2's, various forms) so I suspected something was wrong.

Going to get one of their PIN's and hopefully nothing like this will happen in the future.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually yesterday. I had received a number of letters from them since June asking for more information on my return (copies of 1099's, W-2's, various forms) so I suspected something was wrong.

Going to get one of their PIN's and hopefully nothing like this will happen in the future.
Bummer. I thought you were just joking about that bogus return filed. I hope when you look at the credit reports there aren't any phony accounts opened under your identity.

That link I gave in a prior post outlines what steps to take. At least having a plan makes things feel less dire.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Bummer. I thought you were just joking about that bogus return filed. I hope when you look at the credit reports there aren't any phony accounts opened under your identity.

That link I gave in a prior post outlines what steps to take. At least having a plan makes things feel less dire.
Nothing on the credit report. I have them automatically notify me of any inquiries.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nothing on the credit report. I have them automatically notify me of any inquiries.

That's good to know.