Advice for a first-time home buyer in Florida?

Hey, KN, you might already be aware of this, but it's possible that your overseas duty has bought you an extension on the 2009/2010 first-time homebuyer's tax credit. Take a look at this article:
Military.com - Finance - Whats New for Military Tax Payers

... and this fact sheet:
First-Time Homebuyer Credit: Members of the Military and Certain Other Federal Employees

I didn't know this actually. I will have to ask the H&R Block lady at the BX sometime this week. Thanks!!

I still have hopes of making the cut for USAF OTS someday, but I haven't been on-station long enough to get a recommendation letter going. Apparently going on these mandatory TDY's and frequent deployments kill any hope of getting face time with leadership. Heck I can't even get into Army OCS right now because they are drawing down as well. I've been told by USAF historians (E-6's and E-7's waiting to retire) that this stuff goes in cycles so don't worry.
Your instincts are correct, this is a terrible time to go Army. And yeah, you'll see a few pendulum swings along the way to E-7.

"Face time". *Snort.* Maybe this is just me, but if I was an O-3 or an O-4 in your chain of command, and if I knew you had a college degree and could fog a mirror, let alone come back from deployments & TDYs without Purple Hearts, then I'd be writing that OTS recommendation letter right now. Because if I didn't think ahead and do things like that, then one day it'd be a little difficult for my assignment officer to send someone over to my duty station as my relief.

Just re-upped for 5yrs back in Nov10. It came with a 3.0 SRB that I put into my TSP.
Sounds like you're still having fun, and financially that's an excellent move.

I hope to start my MBA soon, but I am confused on what the real difference in AASCB and ACBSP accreditation. Seems like everyone has a bias one way or another, and I can't sift through the BS to get a straight answer.
I'm outta my depth there. Tomcat? Deserat? Fireup2020?

Other than that I am working my way through a few foreign language requirements in hopes of earning more money and getting a cool special duty somewhere.
If you have the opportunity, the Defense Language Institute (Monterey, CA) is as close as you can get to heaven on earth in uniform...

DIRSUP = Direct Support? I got that from a sailor I met the other day at Corry Station. NIOC was something else I remembered from that TDY. Apparently it is common for Intel (CTT/EW) people to be in either one of those units. Navy lingo is still hard to understand at times lol.
Oh, the DS guys? Oh, them! The ones who were "TAD" for nine months a year and showed up at the awards ceremonies to collect three or four ribbons at a time? Um, Corry Station? Yeah, I guess you're slumming in that neighborhood now.

Ah, yeah, [-]I know quite a bit about that stuff,[/-] we don't discuss submarine operations, and when I retired I signed a foot-high stack of documents swearing that I'd forget I ever knew anything about any of those special compartments. We were just conducting extended at-sea operational training in international waters, I'm sure we have the deck logs around here somewhere to prove it, I have no idea what those CTs were doing back there in ESM, they just wanted some ride time for sub pay, that's our story and we're stickin' to it.

Since neither of us has a need to know any of that stuff, have they loaned you a copy of Blind Man's Bluff yet?

Just had the home and wind mitigation inspection done, and the quotes I got were around the $1,600 - $2000 per year range. Some even had sinkhole coverage included. Is there anything I should consider? The main difference that I could find was the "dwelling" cost. Even then the lower the "dwelling" estimate didn't always mean a lower total cost. :confused:
You want a rider on the policy for something to the effect of "adjusted rebuilding cost factors" (the higher cost of getting contractors & materials after the hurricane flattens the county) and, if the house is over 20 years old, another policy rider for the cost of being required to rebuild to the latest hurricane codes. Unfortunately it sounds like you're getting pretty decent premium quotes-- those are from USAA?

Your mortgage lender has probably already determined whether or not you're in a flood zone and required to have flood insurance...

Y
Ah, yeah, [-]I know quite a bit about that stuff,[/-] we don't discuss submarine operations, and when I retired I signed a foot-high stack of documents swearing that I'd forget I ever knew anything about any of those special compartments. We were just conducting extended at-sea operational training in international waters, I'm sure we have the deck logs around here somewhere to prove it, I have no idea what those CTs were doing back there in ESM, they just wanted some ride time for sub pay, that's our story and we're stickin' to it.

Since neither of us has a need to know any of that stuff, have they loaned you a copy of Blind Man's Bluff yet?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good book, though.

Good info here but...
I've always been more concerned with things like; how mush noise am I gonna hear from freeways, airports, barking dogs, neighbors who like to party or blast their music while washing their cars, neighbors who like to woodwork, nearby businesses,etc. What kind of air quality issues from all of those same things nearby. I would go to the local schools and see who my kids are going to school with. Go to the local stores and see who I'm gonna be shopping with. Is there a bus stop close by where the kids will gather and cause trouble? Is there a drug dealer in the neighborhood? Go to the police station and check on line to see what kind of trouble goes on close by (burglaries, sex offenders, etc.). What kind of idiots are running the H.O.A. if there is one?
The house has always been much less of a concern for me than the screwballs I live around.

Back
Top Bottom