Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Advice needed -- potential buyers scared away.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

My neighbors have some annoying dogs, and a friend of mine found this device for me:

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/ds_Pro.htm

However, I got the dogs to shut up about the same time she sent me the link, so I never bought it - I have no idea if it actually works or not.

eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
You could say in the disclosure that you have compensated the neighbor to keep her dog in during open houses because the dog gets upset at all the strangers in the house and yard.
Now, that passes my sniff test.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Of course, and I'm not sure if I'm being a realist or a pessimist, but when Caroline makes the offer to the owner of Fang the Dog from Hell, she might not be receptive. Worth a try, and I'm interested in hearing how it comes out. But, given the brief description of the neighbor we've been given, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that the reply was "You just think he barks a lot now - you just wait and see, my pretty! Just wait and see! Bwahahahaha!"
Old 01-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeonFI
My neighbors have some annoying dogs, and a friend of mine found this device for me:

However, I got the dogs to shut up about the same time she sent me the link, so I never bought it - I have no idea if it actually works or not.
I was just reading some reviews on amazon of similar devices. Apparently, they're not always effective on dogs, but at the right frequency and volume, they may annoy the neighbor with the dog.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:30 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Now, that passes my sniff test.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I don't side with the neighbor at all. Dogs are not meant to be left outside to bark incessantly. The dog was not a big problem before, but it is a problem now. Caroline has the right to complain.
I have not read the whole thread... but want to give my vote to the OP... I had a dog that could bark for 20 of a 24 hour day behind me before... when the people were away... one time I watched it bark at the tree in the back yard for hours on end... nothing I could see in the tree, just the leaves blowing in the wind...

I have a friend who has called the Sheriff on his neighbor... she still does not care and will put her barking dogs out at night to wake him up... these are BAD NEIGHBORS...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeonFI

My friend with the problem tried another brand like this... and it worked for only a short time with one of the three dogs.... he thinks the others can't hear the noise anymore and just bark...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Heres the process.

Complain to animal control. Read up on any ordinances and the agencies that enforce them. Nearly every town or city has a noise ordinance and most spell out the process to pursue a complaint.

When that doesnt work, and in my experience, it wont, you can try arbitration. If the neighbor is stupid, they will both show up to the arbitration hearing and sign a document making it binding. When they dont follow through with the arbitrators findings at least you have grounds for your civil suit.

File your civil suit, pay a lawyer a fair bunch of money, given decent gathered evidence of the problem and your attempts to resolve it, you may get a settlement and a court order to the neighbor to limit the noise.

Bottom line is a bad neighbor with a barking dog is a problem you likely cannot resolve. Believe me, i've tried, in several towns, in several states. I've heard of a few cases where the animal control guys took the job really seriously and fined the offending owner and eventually mitigated the problem. I've seen a lot of people take it out on the animal, which is sad. I've seen people take it out on the crappy neighbor/pet owner and thats usually entertaining but somewhat counterproductive.

Wish I had better news but the best I've had from personal experience was making life subtly miserable for one neighbor until they voluntarily moved 3 years later.

And yes, in many states you must report neighborhood nuisances and nuisance neighbors during a sale. Although it'd be dang tough to prove and it'd have to be one huge nuisance for a new owner to chase you down.

Maybe you could try a nice bluff. Leave them a note that says:

Things to do about your nuisance dog

1. Keep it in the house most of the time
2. Train or pay to have it trained to stop barking
3. Remove the stimulus that causes it to bark from your yard
4. Put a citrus or electric 'no bark' collar on it until it gets the idea
5. Take the dog to the vet for treatment of the gun shot wound

Of course, you never intend to do #5, but hey...who knows...?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
I'd never do anything to the innocent animal. It's not her fault her owner is a jerk.
Try to come around to another way of thinking about this Caroline and it will be much easier to solve the problem.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

[Quote auther=Caroline]
I'd never do anything to the innocent animal. It's not her fault her owner is a jerk.
[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Try to come around to another way of thinking about this Caroline and it will be much easier to solve the problem.
How about poisoning the neighbor?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

My husband used to shoot the neighbor's dog with a large squirt gun each time it barked until it finally figured out that if it stopped barking, it wouldn't get blasted anymore!
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I think the idea about spending more time in the yard is a good one(yes, I know it is a rental and a big hassle to go over there and hang around), but this is your nest egg for FIRE so look at it as an investment in FIRE. Throw the weiners over the fence as suggested, talk to the dog, act like you really like the dog. Get your realtor to do the same. He will probably be somewhat better.

If not, get a small supply of acepromazine and add to the weiners. Don't give but one tablet and see how he reacts. I use it on my dogs a few times a year for anxiety--slows them down pretty good. A small dose would wear off fairly quickly, before she gets home from work probably.

There is something to be said for people knowing what they are getting into with a home purchase--I am really glad that the rednecks that moved in next door to us have late night parties, two ATVs, a Corvette they do donuts in the yard with after some brewskies, etc. Why? Because I have 5 barking dogs. He's oblivious to the dogs, so I figure he's better than what I could have had next door.

Like CFB said, neighbor disputes rarely have good outcomes.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

if the woman doesn't WANT the dog to bark, just doesn't want him inside as she says, invest $100 and buy her a bark collar for the dog.

I had a nuisance-barking dog, and a law office next door. Not a good combo.

I bought a bark collar with 6 settings. I even tried it myself to make sure it wasn't cruel (yes, put it on my neck and barked--not a pretty sight!). It startles, doesn't really hurt.

My dog gave up after level 3 of 6.

Course, then the dog took up digging.... Ended up leaving him inside during the day. But the digging wouldn't be your problem....
Old 01-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Well Caroline, you sure have a lot of options. None of which is perfect. Let us know what you try.

--Make friends with dog by giving treats and having people in the yard giving treats, especially the realtor
--squirt the dog
--buy the dog
--pay the owner to keep the dog inside + appropriate disclosure
--buy the dog a shock collar (I have mixed feelings about this; it doesn't work with a fair number of dogs, instead it just adds to their stress) or a citronella collar. Keep those batteries replaced!
--be the squeaky wheel, record the barking dog and complain to everyone until someone tries to do something about the woman and her dog
--wolf urine
--try one of those untrasonic devices (though I have heard that they do not work)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #35

Just Curious...

How exactly does one go about collecting wolf urine ?

That sounds like a real challenge !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #36
gone traveling

I would send her a registered letter requesting her to do something about this habitual barker that is depriving you of quiet enjoyment of your home and is also causing potential buyers to lose interest, and that if she fails to remedy the situation, you will initiate legal action against her.

Also, I would create a detailed log of the dog's barking and even get it on tape, as well as noting all the times you have talked to the neighbor about her animal. Most towns have ordinances governing such annoyances, but even if they don't, I suspect you would still have a case against her. Certainly there is leverage if you can enlist other neighbors to join you in the fight.

No one has the right to impose this type of nusance on their neighbors.

Good Luck,

Doug
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Just Curious...

How exactly does one go about collecting wolf urine ?

That sounds like a real challenge !
Wonder if it's anything like extracting bull semen?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #38

Had a similar situation with my neighbor's Rotweiler running loose - no fence. After DW was literally cornered by the beast in OUR YARD I considered a nice sweet bowl of antifreeze (left in our yard of course). Countless discussions with the neighbor - lots of empty promises .... she just die 2 weeks ago. Had to be put down because her hips ... bless her soul.

Money talks ... throw the neighbor a few bucks. But know that this will get expensive if the house does not sell quickly ... as they get used to the cash (price of peace might increase).
Old 01-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

About 2/3rds of the way down te page on the attached link is a device that blasts out sound waves in response to barking. It uses a filter algorythm you control (number of perks per unt time before it goes off) and you can set the sound frequency (low freq= your neighbor will hear the blast--[this might get you in trouble], higher freq= only Fido gets blasted). This could be the type of device Martha mentioned. I don't know if it would work. My >>guess<< is that it would work--dogs are smart, and operant conditioning is a well proven mechanism. It would probably work best if the thing is set to go off after a relatively few barks (clearest link between stimulus and response. Technically this would be "positive punishment" conditioning.)

Is it humane? I think it is, given the alternative. If you "turn up the heat" on this neighbor (city inspectors, lawsuits, police, etc) until she finally decides to do something, what will she do? If she's inconsiderate enough not to keep the dog inside to keep him from barking, she's probably the type of person who will just take him to the pound. A "barker" may not be a very adoptable dog--and you know what that means.

$350 bucks. Might be money well spent if it works. I'd call the company to see if they offer a warrantee. Heck, you could disguise it under one of those plastic rocks used to hide well pumps, even leave it for the new owners if you want. Better yet, rent it to the new owners for $20 per month. If Fido lives another 18 months you'll be money ahead!
http://www.amazing1.com/pest_control.htm
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
If you "turn up the heat" on this neighbor (city inspectors, lawsuits, police, etc) until she finally decides to do something, what will she do? If she's inconsiderate enough not to keep the dog inside to keep him from barking, she's probably the type of person who will just take him to the pound. A "barker" may not be a very adoptable dog--and you know what that means.

$350 bucks. Might be money well spent if it works. I'd cal the company to see if they offer a warrantee. Heck, you could disguise it under one of those plastic rocks used to hide well pumps, even leave it for the new owners if you want. Better yet, rent it to the new owners for $20 per month. If Fido lives another 18 months you'll be money ahead!
http://www.amazing1.com/pest_control.htm
This is a good point. After all the dog is just being a dog. And it's not his fault he has a jerk for an owner.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote