Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Everyone helped and you are right, after 37 years with Schwab, I am not happy. I had to threaten in my complaint to close my accounts if someone didn't call us back. Even with the call back, I was blown off.

It seemed to me that since most Schwab folks were working from home, they were not as resourceful. Even my long time rep at Schwab was no help except to tell me to try to call the "retirement folks" but didn't offer a direct number to call. Consequently, I was on hold thru the main number and a second transfer for quite a while. And then ended up with someone who seemed like she didn't have time for me.
Iím not saying you got great customer service, but reading through this thread and seeing how you resolved the issue in TT, it may be that what Schwab did in the reporting on the 1099 was correct. Maybe thatís why they had a hard time considering your request to change the 1099. Just a thought.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Iím not saying you got great customer service, but reading through this thread and seeing how you resolved the issue in TT, it may be that what Schwab did in the reporting on the 1099 was correct. Maybe thatís why they had a hard time considering your request to change the 1099. Just a thought.
It's possible, but no one I talked with at Schwab said anything about doing a rollover with the second check, or even mentioned the Cares Act possibility. I was tossed around like a beach ball for two (or three?) days with people that didn't have a clue. Not a one of them directed me to the "right" person or department for that matter.

The complaint guy was direct and said they would not issue a corrected 1099 (which was an option as there is a box on the 1099 form for just that purpose). He closed by telling be a Form 5498 would be sent to the IRS in late May but couldn't tell me what that form would indicate. He appeared to only be interested in "resolving" the complaint so that the people I spoke with and complained about were not criticized for poor performance. It was a bulls**t conversation with him.

Maybe Covid 19 has a lot to do with people that work from home not having the tools at hand to help clients, I don't know. But they know I have been a client for a very long time and I believe they can be more accommodating to a client who has a legitimate issue.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’m not saying you got great customer service, but reading through this thread and seeing how you resolved the issue in TT, it may be that what Schwab did in the reporting on the 1099 was correct. Maybe that’s why they had a hard time considering your request to change the 1099. Just a thought.
I think you give Schwab too much credit... a simple sir you can enter the amount in question on line such and such to make things even out would have been the right thing to do. After all why should we be expected to know more then the so called experts.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Everyone helped and you are right, after 37 years with Schwab, I am not happy. I had to threaten in my complaint to close my accounts if someone didn't call us back. Even with the call back, I was blown off.

It seemed to me that since most Schwab folks were working from home, they were not as resourceful. Even my long time rep at Schwab was no help except to tell me to try to call the "retirement folks" but didn't offer a direct number to call. Consequently, I was on hold thru the main number and a second transfer for quite a while. And then ended up with someone who seemed like she didn't have time for me.

Every once in a while a situation comes up worth writing the CEO of a company. Iíve done it with Verizon, Royal Caribbean, USAA and a few others. Iíve always gotten a quick and satisfying response if Iíve laid out all the facts in an informative and professional manner. Maybe this is one of those times.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Every once in a while a situation comes up worth writing the CEO of a company. Iíve done it with Verizon, Royal Caribbean, USAA and a few others. Iíve always gotten a quick and satisfying response if Iíve laid out all the facts in an informative and professional manner. Maybe this is one of those times.
Good idea, but too late for that now. Old Chuck has retired and the new guy is busy buying competitors! LOL! (Chuck still has an office there I think)

I have done things like that in the past though, and with some success.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:42 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Good idea, but too late for that now. Old Chuck has retired and the new guy is busy buying competitors! LOL! (Chuck still has an office there I think)

I have done things like that in the past though, and with some success.
You always can move your accounts to another brokerage and get paid a bonus for doing so.

I often see brokerages paying $600 -> $1,000 for moving $250K , and most offers allow that for 2 accounts (roth and ira for example) so the bonus is doubled.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You always can move your accounts to another brokerage and get paid a bonus for doing so.

I often see brokerages paying $600 -> $1,000 for moving $250K , and most offers allow that for 2 accounts (roth and ira for example) so the bonus is doubled.
I don't think the grass is any greener at another place and after 37 years, I feel like I can ride this out. Up until Covid19, I never had any bad treatment from their reps. I feel that working from home handicaps these workers.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....They also had 11 million pieces of mail yet to open from the pandemic backlog. ...
That may explain why DS has not received his 2019 tax refund yet. We filed his 2019 return electronically on May 19 with $895 refund due to him. Over the summer, he received a letter that the return was missing a 1095-A... our fault. We responded by US mail with the 1095-A which increased his refund to $988.

Radio silence since then. Luckily, DS is LBYM and doesn't need the money right away.

Another friend who I do a return for filed his by paper in May and just received his refund last month.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote