Join Early Retirement Today

Advisor Suggested Annuities?
Old 02-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Advisor Suggested Annuities?

So DH spoke with (Merrill Lynch) advisor and she suggested we move our money into annuities because we are risk aversive!

As per a previous post about ML, I don't trust anything this advisor suggests (thankfully I kept our 100K in cash for emergency fund.....not looking so stupid at this moment).

You are all WAY more knowledgeable about these things than we are:
please tell me why annuities is not the way to go.

Thanks all.
rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RUN in the opposite direction
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:16 PM   #3

A) making a change now is a bad idea (see your other thread). You'll lock in your losses.

B) annuities are great for sales people, bad for customers, 99% of the time.

Do nothing, stop asking FA's what to do (pro-tip, they don't know any better and everyone is going to try to sell you their products, now more than ever.)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes, you are right about talking with these people - that's why I come to this board - you all speak the truth.
rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you call a broker all worried about your equities don't be surprised if they suggest fixed income.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathgar View Post
. As per a previous post about ML, I don't trust anything this advisor.

It seems you’ve answered your own question!
Old 02-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathgar View Post
Yes, you are right about talking with these people - that's why I come to this board - you all speak the truth.
Absolutely right. And if you keep reading we'll present you with a large number of truths. Then you just need to figure out which one(s) you like.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #8

I might be a contrarian but annuities are really great for risk adverse people. However, don't invest all in one company. You would want to spread it out with different companies to spread your risk. Yes, annuities have high commissions but they offer security that a lot of people want. I have considered it myself for some of my investable assets.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

If you can't stomach the ups and downs of the stock market then annuities may be right for you. But for most of us DIY investors, annuities high fees, subpar investment returns, is always a no no
Rainbowdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Depends on the type of annuity being recommended there are so many. Many can be used as fixed income alternative/comparable, but are not stock alternatives (i.e. if you want stock growth than you need to invest in stock market and take the risk with it). If you want another option to compete with CDs than MYGA for FIA can work, just know you will achieve 0-4% return like a CD.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Run. In a nutshell, annuities are generally a bad idea because they are generally extremely high fee, so complicated that it is unlikely you will understand what you are buying, and often you are exposed to the creditworthiness of the insurer.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:59 PM   #12

Annuities are a great way to safely go broke.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Heed this advice:

Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #14

If they are suggesting variable or index annuities, RUN AWAY! If they are talking about life insurance products, RUN AWAY! If they are talking about SPIAs (Single Premium Immediate Annuity), then maybe. But I have never had an FA anywhere, ever recommend a SPIA. It's always the more lucrative (for them) variable, index or life insurance type annuity.

SPIAs make sense for longevity insurance, but because interest rates are at the lowest in history, they are not a good deal right now. The only way they make sense right now is if you are approaching age 80. You can do better in CDs or a high interest savings account than what a SPIA is currently paying.

So, RUN AWAY!
Old 02-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #15

An Immediate annuity with a one time lump sum may help you increase your income for life without any stock market risk. Do not purchase this from someone getting 1% of your assets under management as the return is in the 2-3% range. They will tell you 6%, but most of it is just the return of your own money.

You can check how much income you can buy with a quote from:

https://www.immediateannuities.com/a...3KC0QNeLRz4OD7

Please note I do not have an annuity, I am not as risk adverse as you may be.

They are really just taking your money and giving you some of your own money back with about 2% interest. You could do this easily yourself without giving up access to the money to an Insurance company.

Good luck to you,

VW
Old 02-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
They are really just taking your money and giving you some of your own money back with about 2% interest. You could do this easily yourself without giving up access to the money to an Insurance company.
Exactly what we do, but we are getting ~4% not 2 and only tie up our money for 5 or 10 years Max.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #17

My goood friend that we just got moved into an alzheimer's facility moved his IRA into an annuity in 2012 because a freind's nephew was selling them. I looked at the contract and could not decipher it. Took it to the elder care lawyer and she could not decipher it. She advised his wife to just pull the money out and pay whatever fees there are because she needs the cash to get her life set up for both her and her husband. It will not be cheap. She would have been better off leaving it in a savings account back in 2012.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

What brewer12345 said. Also you will lock in your current paper losses.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If one goes to a sales rep and tells them that they want to preserve capital and not lose money, then the sales rep will sell them annuities. That is, I don't think one can fault the ML sales rep in this case for suggesting annuities.

Besides the money that the sales rep will make there is also usually an onerous early withdrawal penalty.

So will @rathgar become less risk averse? Will they find an asset allocation without using annuities that will make them happy? If they lose money in the first year, then will they be able to continue on and over time make money? How long could they last before bailing out? I cannot tell just from what was posted in this thread.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Exactly what we do, but we are getting ~4% not 2 and only tie up our money for 5 or 10 years Max.
+1