Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Affordable & unaffordable real estate marketsT
Old 02-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That kinda reminds me of the 3 Texans in a conversation.
Oh crap...now you've started me off on the "three texans" jokes...

Put on your protective headgear ladies and gentlemen...

Three Texans go down to Mexico one night and get drunk and wake up in jail. They found out that they are to be executed for their crimes but none of them can remember what they have done.

The first one is strapped in the electric chair and is asked if he has any last words. He says,"I am from the Baylor School of Divinity and I believe in the almighty power of God to intervene on behalf of the innocent." They throw the switch and nothing happens, so they figure God must not want this guy to die, and they let him go.

The second one is strapped in and gives his last words. "I am from the University of Texas School of Law and I believe in the eternal power of Justice to intervene on the part of the innocent." The switch is thrown and again nothing happens. They figure that the law is on this guy's side and let him go.

The last one is strapped in and says, "Well I'm a Texas Aggie Electrical Engineer, and I'll tell you right now you'll never electrocute anybody if you don't connect those two wires."

Three Texans were out hunting in Central Texas when they encountered a scantily clad young lass lounging against a tree.

"What y'all doing boys?" she inquired.

They responded, "Well ma'am, we're huntin wild game."

"Well I'm wild, and I'm game!" she replied with a coy smile.

So they shot her.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Well I'm wild, and I'm game!" she replied with a coy smile.

So they shot her.
Aggies
Old 02-20-2005, 04:31 AM   #43

Re: Affordable & unaffordable real estate markets

Quote:
They are on the increase in the Texas Hill Country. *Too many people want to own a few acres "away from it all" but only an hour or so from Austin or San Antonio. *Don't even think about moving here. *
REW
Whatever is an hour away, will be two hours in the next few years. We live 25 miles from the Austin city limits. My commute was 20 minutes two years ago, it went up to 45 min now. I expect it to be an hour in less than a year and who knows what two years from now. Don't go there if you still have a job and have to drive in when everybody else does. We will be closing on a house next week in the old central part of the city next week, I am tired of the driving/jams. I am not willling to add 2-3 hours to my workday. Things may change when I am done with the daily work grind. There are some beautiful and very affordable places near the metros out here.

Vicky
Old 02-20-2005, 05:01 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whatever is an hour away, will be two hours in the next few years. We live 25 miles from the Austin city limits. My commute was 20 minutes two years ago, it went up to 45 min now. I expect it to be an hour in less than a year and who knows what two years from now.
More testimonial evidence of why no one should consider retiring in the Texas Hill Country.

REW
Old 02-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #45

I hear houses in Pflugerville and Round Rock are going for cheap ever since Dell had layoffs and opened plants elsewhere.

I have a "retirement" spot in Texas picked out but I can't share it with anyone in the off chance that New Yorkers hear about it and make it there first.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:18 AM   #46

I'm even sorry you mentioned the state

JG
Old 02-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #47

I have been to texas, and it has some very nice places, dont know about the housing prices, but as far as the rattle snakes and chiggers, well I live in michigan, and like some of the other people who live in wisconsin and other north states, I can tell you, it is beautiful in the summer,but winters are hell hell hell, any one who says I like the winters is eather crazy or lying, when it is 40 below zero, and the car wont start, and nothing wants to work, and the roads are crap. and you pass if you are lucky only a couple of roll overs on your way to where ever. and the heating bill is going throught the roof. all those that say they lover it here, I see bitching when the weather is like this. from may to oct. I love it on my 80 acres. but when the show flyes and I spend more time plowing out then sleeping, I get sick of being here, Take it from someone who lived in the south [florida] for 10 years, and michigan the rest of my 42 years, when it is feb. you dont go out and sit on your porch and have nice cigar and cup of tea, you sit in you house and cover in a blanket hoping you dont have to go to town for coffee creamer.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #48

Hello jim young. Yep, that's the way I see it. I have lived up north (Northern Illinois, Wisc. and Michigan)
for most of my life. The winters are just awful.
We chose Texas for relief, but many other spots would do I am quite sure. Michigan is a beautiful state, but
even that couldn't get me to want to stay year round.

JG
Old 02-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...but winters are hell hell hell, any one who says I like the winters is eather crazy or lying, when it is 40 below zero, and the car wont start, and nothing wants to work, and the roads are crap. and you pass if you are lucky only a couple of roll overs on your way to where ever. and the heating bill is going throught the roof. all those that say they lover it here, I see bitching when the weather is like this. from may to oct. I love it on my 80 acres. but when the show flyes and I spend more time plowing out then sleeping, I get sick of being here, Take it from someone who lived in the south [florida] for 10 years, and michigan the rest of my 42 years, when it is feb. you dont go out and sit on your porch and have nice cigar and cup of tea, you sit in you house and cover in a blanket hoping you dont have to go to town for coffee creamer.
Amen Baby, yours is the voice of reality. Stay around here, you are needed.

Mikey
Old 03-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I hear houses in Pflugerville and Round Rock are going for cheap ever since Dell had layoffs and opened plants elsewhere.

I have a "retirement" spot in Texas picked out but I can't share it with anyone in the off chance that New Yorkers hear about it and make it there first.
We shared the cost of a private investigator. Pretty nice spot but not for us. We just sold the info to New Jersey REs. They're on the way.

BUM
Old 03-21-2005, 07:02 PM   #51

Quote:

We shared the cost of a private investigator. Pretty nice spot but not for us. We just sold the info to New Jersey REs. They're on the way.

BUM
Arghhh!

The Davis Mountains sure are purtty.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:16 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Either crazy or lying if someone lives in Wisconsin and says they love it in winter?? I think there should be more choices than that. I'm not crazy or lying when I say that I love, love, love the winters in Wisconsin.
Hubby and I love to snowshoe so we're really excited when we get a ton of snow. And if it's too cold to go somewhere, well, we stay in and enjoy a hot drink by the fireplace. (too cold for us means -20 degrees and below)
And I sure don't complain about the gas/electric bill since we avg. $118 a month yr round on a 2300 sq ft home. Of course we had it built ourselves and super insulated it accordingly.
Not I'm not saying very many people can handle this type of weather but we sure can. Of course our jobs took us outside all year long in every kind of weather so I guess we became accustomed to it. And since we don't like temps much above 70 it makes sense that we live where we do.
But the best part is we don't have to deal with very many people when the weather gets below 20 degrees. It is so great having so many things to ourselves during those "cold" times. hehe
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:31 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Ah yes the good life.

Twenty years ago - 95 degrees, 95% humidity sitting on your fishing pier drinking beer, sweating with your Jimmy Buffett skirt sticking to your back - the good life in Louisiana.

Now A/C and free fish from neighbors and friends.

Enjoy it while you're young.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:03 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... with your Jimmy Buffett skirt sticking to your back...
Now there's a truly frightening image. I don't even want to know if this is related to a kilt fashion statement.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:43 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Nope

Just like the 'perfect retirement spot' - it's all in the eye of the beholder. When my brother in law left Republic, Michigan he sold three snowmobiles and bought a Bass boat on arrival in Kentucky without shedding a tear.

When the neighbor's arrive next door for the summer(after school is out) they will have 'fun' at the camp without A/C - like we did twenty years ago.

Heh, heh, - the adults have A/C in the bedrooms - for August.

The point is - ah, er - hmm I don't have one.

I should be putzing with my taxes - but since I owe, will wait closer to 4/15.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now there's a truly frightening image. I don't even want to know if this is related to a kilt fashion statement.
God I hope he meant "Shirt", otherwise the rumors of Unclemick being a 14 year old girl from missoula will be back in force.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #57

unclemick, I have gotten as far as putting all my tax
crap on the big coffee table ..... can't seem to motivate
my self any further.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:35 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I put up turbotax and jump the income part to the deductions part. Then it shows a huge refund in the little dynamic "your tax" window. Which gets smaller as I go back and add the income stuff.

Its a lot more fun to start with a lot of dough and slowly watch it fritter away than to start with a huge amount you owe and then try to get it to go to positive, which doesnt happen until the last 5 minutes.

Either I was lucky or skilled...we ended up getting about $80 back from the feds and $170 from the state from a tax return about an inch thick...