Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Affordable Connectivity Program - $30 monthly Internet discount
Old 02-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GTFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,362
Affordable Connectivity Program - $30 monthly Internet discount

Was browsing my bill at xfinity.com after the BS fees went up again, and got a notice that I might be eligible for the ACP - Affordable Connectivity Program. This is a $30 monthly subsidy that started at beginning of this year and replaced the old Emergency Broadband Benefit (for folks impacted by Covid).

The interesting feature of the new subsidy is that they've added a new income level check to see if you qualify - anyone under 200% FPL now does (the Lifeline program was more restrictive, under 135% FPL). So folks on this board that are keeping MAGI low for ACA subsidies can now get $30 off their internet bill. In addition, you also get $100 off the purchase of a tablet or PC/laptop. The subsidy applies to new or existing customers and it doesn't matter which HSI tier you have, so it's not a limited HSI speed benefit. It's just a straight $30 off if you qualify.

https://acpbenefit.org/
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,385
I've been in the EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) since it started, that will become the ACB soon. Since they locked everyone into Medicaid due to the pandemic that qualified me for the EBB. I actually should have left it in 2020.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Was browsing my bill at xfinity.com after the BS fees went up again, and got a notice that I might be eligible for the ACP - Affordable Connectivity Program. This is a $30 monthly subsidy that started at beginning of this year and replaced the old Emergency Broadband Benefit (for folks impacted by Covid).

The interesting feature of the new subsidy is that they've added a new income level check to see if you qualify - anyone under 200% FPL now does (the Lifeline program was more restrictive, under 135% FPL). So folks on this board that are keeping MAGI low for ACA subsidies can now get $30 off their internet bill. In addition, you also get $100 off the purchase of a tablet or PC/laptop. The subsidy applies to new or existing customers and it doesn't matter which HSI tier you have, so it's not a limited HSI speed benefit. It's just a straight $30 off if you qualify.

https://acpbenefit.org/

I can add a bit here after looking into it.



As of today, a rep indicated income is defined as line 9 of the 1040. That is Total Income, not AGI or MAGI. And so we're out.


Our 2021 would not have qualified nor would 2022 unless it were MAGI. In talking with the rep, self-employed people will have an extra challenge if their income has dropped in that they can only substantiate with a tax return. W-2 filers would have more current information via a paystub. The Substantial Change of Income process that existed in the earlier programs does not work for the ACB.


Hold time were pretty quick though!


Hope this helps someone else digging into this.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:03 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GTFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,362
I qualified based on MAGI and my spouse has SE income, never talked to a rep. Try submitting the app and see what happens.

Comcast approved me next day after qualification.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
I qualified based on MAGI and my spouse has SE income, never talked to a rep. Try submitting the app and see what happens.

Interesting but I'm gonna pass on this one for now. The latest we have is a 2020 return where any definition of income is well over the threshold. 2021 returns will also be over. Which highlights how awesome it is that our state's ACA marketplace basically accepts our attestation that we will be below it for 2022. It's basically impossible for me to show any formal document that's not just our word that's even close to the income limit yet.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
I can add a bit here after looking into it.



As of today, a rep indicated income is defined as line 9 of the 1040. That is Total Income, not AGI or MAGI. And so we're out.


Our 2021 would not have qualified nor would 2022 unless it were MAGI. In talking with the rep, self-employed people will have an extra challenge if their income has dropped in that they can only substantiate with a tax return. W-2 filers would have more current information via a paystub. The Substantial Change of Income process that existed in the earlier programs does not work for the ACB.


Hold time were pretty quick though!


Hope this helps someone else digging into this.
Yes, very helpful. I was wondering the same thing. It turns out I will qualify if I choose to pursue it. May or may not pursue it, for lots of reasons. I was actually hoping I would not qualify for the ACP, so I would not have to decide, lol. If it's true that you can take $30 off the lowest cost cable internet tier of a bundled TV and internet package, no tricks, no gotchas, it might be the right thing for me to do. I have not called my cable co yet to ask, but have read that you get $30 off a non-bundled cable internet. Cable internet alone (non bundled) is way higher than tacking cable internet onto my existing cable TV. So I would have to add cable internet, as a separate stand alone item, to my monthly bill, and would not get the huge discount I would get by adding internet to my TV (even without a $30 subsidy). I think that is the catch, but haven't called the cable co to confirm, and don't want to, lol.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,385
By me Verizon and Altice usually have one year special rates. I alternate each year between them. If you are loyal they put the rate up and you pay more. Wiring is set up for both now, they just have to turn it on.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
By me Verizon and Altice usually have one year special rates. I alternate each year between them. If you are loyal they put the rate up and you pay more. Wiring is set up for both now, they just have to turn it on.
Priceless!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
I qualified based on MAGI and my spouse has SE income, never talked to a rep. Try submitting the app and see what happens.

Comcast approved me next day after qualification.
GTFan, may I ask what type of plan you have? Is it bundled? Did the $30 come off cleanly? No gotchas? No need to change your plan some way? Thanks.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,385
The EBB puts a credit into your account. The info from my ISP said the EBB transitions March 1st to the ACP.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GTFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
GTFan, may I ask what type of plan you have? Is it bundled? Did the $30 come off cleanly? No gotchas? No need to change your plan some way? Thanks.
I've got one of their double play bundles (Cable+HSI), haven't seen the discount yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than $30, my plan before taxes and junk fees is only $100/mo.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:35 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GTFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,362
Got the $30 discount on my March bill.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:02 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,116
I have Spectrum Internet only and I called them last night to gripe about them sending me letters almost every week offering Internet for 49.95 available to NEW customers only. i'm paying $74.95 and have been a customer off and on for more than 25 years. I told her I was considering moving to T-mobile Internet which is true.
I talked to a really nice lady who offered me $54.95 for a year and if I also signed up for their cell phone service starting at $14, she could also upgrade my speed to Ultra for free. There was no hard sell, I told her what I was paying for Tello ($6) and that was the end of the sales pitch. I already have 200 mbps speed and I'm happy with it.
She then encouraged me to check into the $30 ACP discount as well and e-mailed me the information. I was actually approved for it the other day after submitting my 2021 tax return and was still trying to decide whether to stay with Spectrum or move to T-Mobile internet for a lower price.
I'm so glad I no longer have to make that decision and my total savings will be $50 a month for making a five minute phone call.
By the way Spectrum does not participate in the PC or Laptop discount program.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beach and Mountain
Posts: 787
Line 9 of the tax return? So, if my family of 2 had $20k of IRA distribution and maybe $20k of SS, my income would be $40k and I wouldn't qualify. But if it was line 9, most of my SS would not be included and I would qualify. Big difference.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
I have Spectrum Internet only and I called them last night to gripe about them sending me letters almost every week offering Internet for 49.95 available to NEW customers only. i'm paying $74.95 and have been a customer off and on for more than 25 years. I told her I was considering moving to T-mobile Internet which is true.
I found that if you don't actually leave they won't give a good deal. The minute you leave they start mail bombing you with the good deals.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,116
Yeh, that's what I expected to happen but thought I'd try anyway.
When I called, I selected the option to cancel my service so I think I went straight to customer retention, she called it a customer appreciation discount.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:24 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
Tafkah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 200
I hadn't heard of this program before. I applied today, attached PDFs of the first 2 pages of my 2021 1040, and was approved immediately. Called Xfinity and gave them my approval number and they confirmed I'll get a $30 discount on my monthly bill.
Thanks, GT!
Tafkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ownyourfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
I have Spectrum Internet only and I called them last night to gripe about them sending me letters almost every week offering Internet for 49.95 available to NEW customers only. i'm paying $74.95 and have been a customer off and on for more than 25 years. I told her I was considering moving to T-mobile Internet which is true.

I talked to a really nice lady who offered me $54.95 for a year and if I also signed up for their cell phone service starting at $14, she could also upgrade my speed to Ultra for free.
Thanks for this!
Same situation for me. I'm going to stop by their local office & give it a shot.
__________________
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast"
Shown @ The End Of The Movie 'Runaway Train'
ownyourfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:12 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,116
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:26 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
conversationalphrase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 252
I saw a notice on my Cricket Wireless website about ACP. Went through the links to apply by sending my 2021 1040 and within two days my bill is now $30 less per month!



My (former) tax dollars at work
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monthly Cost for Cable/Internet Rianne Technology, Media & e-Gadgets 105 10-15-2019 01:49 PM
Using Smartphone for Data Connectivity on Alaska Tour Amethyst Travel Information 37 08-04-2018 06:03 PM
Retiring w/Stage 4 cancer take high monthly payments or PLS w/lower monthly AngelicEnergy FIRE and Money 23 10-13-2017 09:01 PM
McAfee screwup causes internet connectivity problems RunningBum Other topics 20 04-23-2010 03:35 PM
Connectivity options Bridget Other topics 8 01-26-2005 01:49 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.