Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Again Low Fee Index Funds Beat Active Managed
Old 05-05-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,676
Again Low Fee Index Funds Beat Active Managed

Saw this morning, and thought I would post here. Excerpt cut from the article:


"According to S&P Dow Jones Indices Risk-Adjusted SPIVA Scorecard: Year-End 2020, after adjusting for volatility, the majority of actively managed domestic funds across market-cap segments underperformed their benchmarks on a net-of-fees basis over mid- and long-term investment horizons."


Link to article below. Not anything folks here will learn from, pretty much a fluff piece buit does have list of example low cost index funds. Just has the confirmation of low fee index funds beat higher fee active managed funds over the mid and long term timing.


https://finance.yahoo.com/news/guide...184923526.html
__________________
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Life is a sh!t sandwich, the more bread you have the less sh!t you have to eat.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 05:42 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Saw this morning, and thought I would post here. Excerpt cut from the article:


"According to S&P Dow Jones Indices Risk-Adjusted SPIVA Scorecard: Year-End 2020, after adjusting for volatility, the majority of actively managed domestic funds across market-cap segments underperformed their benchmarks on a net-of-fees basis over mid- and long-term investment horizons."


Link to article below. Not anything folks here will learn from, pretty much a fluff piece buit does have list of example low cost index funds. Just has the confirmation of low fee index funds beat higher fee active managed funds over the mid and long term timing.


https://finance.yahoo.com/news/guide...184923526.html

No surprises....the evidence has been there all along....it's a zero sum game. In aggregate active funds must underperfom the market by the fees and expenses they incur. It's just simple math. I really don't understand why many refuse to accept this.
__________________
FIRE'd---4/27/2018 @ 54. DW--RE date 03/01/19.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
VanWinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Morton
Posts: 2,154
Index funds make investing simple- 2-3 index funds in the allocation that works for you. You can get on with life, not spend all your time researching investments with a slim chance of beating the index. If you like trying to beat the odds, congrats to you and good luck. I'd rather be at the golf course and traveling to my kids in Colorado and Washington state.

VW
__________________
Retired May 13th(Friday) 2016 at age 61.
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:10 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,687
Well, that does it!

I am not going to invest in "the aggregate" of actively managed funds!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
OldShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: City
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
... I am not going to invest in "the aggregate" of actively managed funds!
Exactly! That is the logical takeaway from the SPIVA reports. The next sentence, also logically, is to say "I am going to invest with the above-average managers."

How to find those above-average managers? The most popular technique is to chase performance. That is foundation of the industry's advertising. For those who favor that approach, S&P has a report for you, too: The "Manager Persistence" report, also published every six months. Sadly, they are all the same: For any period, the top managers' results for the following period are at hardly better than random and more typically worse than random. The mantra is always proven true: Past performance does not predict future results.

That's the dead end; no one knows how to predict which managers will be above average in the future. Here's Nobel winner Eugene Fama's long time research partner Ken French with a short video discussion: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/v...-managers.aspx

Links:
S&P SPIVA gateway: https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/spiva/#/
S&P Manager Persistence gateway: https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/in...nce-scorecard/
__________________
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Markola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 3,244
There’s the benchmark average returns and there’s the (terrible) average returns of all mutual funds. I’ll take the average benchmark returns any day.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 14,594
Here's the latest SPIVA statistics:

https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/re...nsights/spiva/

Most large caps still can't beat the index.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:54 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
OldShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: City
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
... Most large caps still can't beat the index.
Not just large caps. All stock pickers. Here's the math from a Nobel winner: https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/a...ive/active.htm and interview here: https://www.ishares.com/us/insights/...pe-on-indexing
__________________
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 701
yep. As someone else pointed out I'm fine with market returns. Even if they are half the historical average the next 10-20 years I will still reach my goal. All I need.

Simple. Minimal cost . Tax efficient.
__________________
Retired 1/6/2017 at 50 years old
Immensely grateful


“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 142
I had a significant amount of my assets with an AUM wealth management company for the past 1.5 years…. I just fired them and am moving to a 2-3 low cost index fund portfolio.

The company I used benchmarked themselves against the MSCI World index and YTD they are down 5 percentage points lower then their benchmark!
RetiredAt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:20 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western NC
Posts: 3,497
If you want actively managed pick either Vanguard's Wellington or Wellesley (for more income)

Forget all the rest of the actively managed funds.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:59 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 262
recently, I found etrade active management report for 2011. I wanted to check how it would be now. some funds are not even existing now. I stopped using them after my divorce and changed to S&P index fund. I should have fired it even before the divorce.
retire to nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:42 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 830
My then EJ FA wouldn’t agree.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:55 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
OldShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: City
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire to nature View Post
recently, I found etrade active management report for 2011. I wanted to check how it would be now. some funds are not even existing now. I stopped using them after my divorce and changed to S&P index fund. I should have fired it even before the divorce.
Every year something north of 7% of stock picker funds are folded or merged due to poor performance and, consequently, investors bailing out. These funds are buried very deep by their former managers; it is almost impossible to find lists or any history of them. That is why it is important that performance studies consider "survivorship bias" as SPIVA does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
My then EJ FA wouldn’t agree.
Of course!

Almost a century ago, Upton Sinclair told us: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.” Since then, nothing has changed.
__________________
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:55 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Every year something north of 7% of stock picker funds are folded or merged due to poor performance and, consequently, investors bailing out. These funds are buried very deep by their former managers; it is almost impossible to find lists or any history of them. That is why it is important that performance studies consider "survivorship bias" as SPIVA does.

Of course!

Almost a century ago, Upton Sinclair told us: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.” Since then, nothing has changed.
Right.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 67
While I always knew this I think Buffet said it most intuitively - and I am paraphrasing here.

You have active investors, and passive investors. By definition the passive investors performance follows active investors and equals the sum total of all active investors, which simplistically puts it at 50%. Now subtract active management fees and it is mathematically very difficult for active managers to even match index funds over the long term.
JBTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:39 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
OldShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: City
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTX View Post
While I always knew this I think Buffet said it most intuitively - and I am paraphrasing here.

You have active investors, and passive investors. By definition the passive investors performance follows active investors and equals the sum total of all active investors, which simplistically puts it at 50%. Now subtract active management fees and it is mathematically very difficult for active managers to even match index funds over the long term.
Exactly. The average active manager is guaranteed to underperform.

So. an intelligent guy says: "I get it. I have to hire an above-average manger in order to win." I have posted this link a number of times: Dr. Ken French on identifying superior managers: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/v...-managers.aspx

For those who want a little meatier chew, here's a productive way to spend 37 minutes: Dr. Eugene Fama on "Investors from the moon.":https://www.top1000funds.com/2015/12...the-moon-fama/
__________________
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:45 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 10,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
If you want actively managed pick either Vanguard's Wellington or Wellesley (for more income)

Forget all the rest of the actively managed funds.
Yep. The only managed funds I'll touch.

Other than that, low fee index funds are the way to go - as they have been since index funds were invented. Good to know some things don't change. YMMV
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:54 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Markola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 3,244
A more emphatic headline would be, “Active Funds Lose to Low Fee Index Funds - Again.”
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:07 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Index funds make investing simple- 2-3 index funds in the allocation that works for you. You can get on with life, not spend all your time researching investments with a slim chance of beating the index. If you like trying to beat the odds, congrats to you and good luck. I'd rather be at the golf course and traveling to my kids in Colorado and Washington state.

VW
So true.

I wish I learned this years ago. Like in high school.

Thank you.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Active vs Index Funds SomedaySoon FIRE and Money 30 04-07-2020 08:47 AM
Managed Bond Funds rather than Index Bond Funds? ER Eddie FIRE and Money 69 03-18-2019 10:27 AM
Article shows even best active stock trading still loses to simple index funds Kabekew Active Investing, Market Strategies & Alternative Assets 1 07-28-2014 05:42 AM
(FAQ archive): Invididual Stocks vs. Funds/Active Funds vs. Passive Funds Nords Early Retirement FAQs 0 10-22-2007 03:07 PM
Index funds beat most active funds JustCurious FIRE and Money 57 10-23-2006 11:14 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.