Aldi's

Oops, I forgot it's winter.

The problem is there is no grass here, man. It's the desert!

I am happy now, because I were able to fix my car last week on the driveway, wearing summer shorts and Tshirt in the balmy 70 deg temp. Ask me again next Aug.

Been here all my life. The heat only gets worse as you age...

I am happy now, because I were able to fix my car last week on the driveway, wearing summer shorts and Tshirt in the balmy 70 deg temp. Ask me again next Aug.

I'm freezing my tuckus off in front of the fireplace! I'm not allowed to set the heat about 58.

I think that's a very good reason to look for someplace else you might prefer!

Life is an adventure, especially once we retire.

Im gonna move me to Texas. I hear they got Ebola,hurricanes,death ants,guns,snakes,ninjas and 1000 other things that could kill you. Im not scared..

We both have family roots here, and get along well with siblings.

There's still hope; I have not changed my screen name from NW-Bound. Actually, I should have called myself PNW-Bound, or just PugetSound, where I want to be.

Im gonna move me to Texas. I hear they got Ebola,hurricanes,death ants,guns,snakes,ninjas and 1000 other things that could kill you. Im not scared..

From California, for lower cost of living?

From what I've learned from this forum, AZ may be better than western Texas. I have 2 houses, one in the desert (good for winter/bad in summer), and another in the high country at 7000ft (in the boonie), where it was the opposite.

The right balance can be found in intermediate elevations like Prescott, or Payson. Have you heard about these places?

From what I've learned from this forum, AZ may be better than western Texas. I have 2 houses, one in the desert (good for winter/bad in summer), and another in the high country at 7000ft (in the boonie), where it was the opposite.

The right balance can be found in intermediate elevations like Prescott, or Payson. Have you heard about these places?

Yeah Ive heard of Prescott. We are driving from CA to Texas in the spring. Plan on stopping at a few places along the way in AZ.

Oh I wonder if they have Aldi's

Its not cold and lower cost of living. The death part I can handle. I used to live in Ohio.

Texas has the most miserably hot, scorching summers I have ever lived through. And this is coming from someone who is living in New Orleans!! Our backyard there was full of brown recluse spiders, that rot your flesh if you get bit. There was arsenic in the drinking water from the old cotton gin nearby. And there were more airborne allergens there than any place you can imagine. Even though we lived in town there were field mice everywhere, and snakes, and a possum had babies under our deck! :eek:

(pssst... REWahoo, was that good? :2funny: )

Texas has the most miserably hot, scorching summers I have ever lived through. And this is coming from someone who is living in New Orleans!! Our backyard there was full of brown recluse spiders, that rot your flesh if you get bit. There was arsenic in the drinking water from the old cotton gin nearby. And there were more airborne allergens there than any place you can imagine. Even though we lived in town there were field mice everywhere, and snakes, and a possum had babies under our deck! :eek:

(pssst... REWahoo, was that good? :2funny: )

Better watch out for them ice and snow storms in Missouri ;) Oh chiggers and ticks you need to keep your yard sprayed for...

I don't think there are Aldis in AZ.

By the way, you may wonder why I would not move to these places myself.

The real reason is this: I love to be near the water. The Chinese say some people personality is like the mountain, some like the ocean. I guess I am the latter type.

By the way, these are nice green places with pine trees. Same as my mountain home which is at even higher elevations.

Oh man! We have no Aldi's but also none of those scary things in Texas and Missouri.

Come on over!

I don't think there are Aldis in AZ.

By the way, you may wonder why I would not move to these places myself.

The real reason is this: I love to be near the water. The Chinese say some people personality is like the mountain, some like the ocean. I guess I am the latter type.

By the way, these are nice green places with pine trees. Same as my mountain home which is at even higher elevations.

I could live in Lake Tahoe. However Im not much on the winters. I prefer oaks and maples over pine trees myself.

W2R- good point also got the Bass Pro shop :D

Oh I wonder if they have Aldi's
No.
(pssst... REWahoo, was that good? )
Yes.
img_755933_0_8348b966afe2e095cca724cc26742c22.gif

I could live in Lake Tahoe. However Im not much on the winters. I prefer oaks and maples over pine trees myself.

Tahoe is as low cost as Prescott? Been in AZ all my life, but just from this forum, we have about the lowest real-estate taxes, and even with recent price run-ups, about median in housing costs. There's not much of a winter in Prescott and Payson. I guess the pines are just better native plants than oaks and maples. Don't know why, being no botanist.

Like you I believe there is a sweet spot for altitude in the SW where both the summers and winters are bearable and the rest is perfect.

In Arizona Payson would surely qualify for me, plus it has the advantage of driving an 30 minutes North can be 10 degrees cooler, an hour South can be 10 degrees hotter. Plus I think that's absolutely lovely country up there, which I'm sure you know with your boonie-crib (Strawberry? Pinetop?)

A cheaper option (I'm assuming at least I know there was a mining resurgence) would be Miami/Globe, although I get the impression that area isn't for everyone. Good weather though and a relatively quick drive into Phoenix metro.

I've never been to Bisbee but have heard people rave about it, none of whom has spent more than a weekend so taken with grain of salt that could chase Indiana Jones.

Well, Aldi's here in Germany is awesome- yes, you have to put an euro in to use the cart - you have to do that everywhere here (all stores) - you do get it back - yes, you have to bring your own grocery bags - that's the way they do it over here.

However, the prices can't be beat - the selection is fair - they do run out, but the quality is very good. Most of the stores here in Europe are small to begin with as compared to those in the States - they don't stock 1000 of an item on the shelf, more like 20-30 - however, I've seen much more variety just due to the cultural and food difference in an Italian store or Norwegian store than I've seen in a store int he US that's 5 times larger.

As for prices - even with the fluctuating exchange rate, the price for cheeses, milk, cleaning items, baking items and their blowout specials beat the Army Commissary hands down.

TJs and Aldi are run by brothers - as I understand it (read an article about them in WSJ or NYT a few years ago), they were both in some of the German camps during WWII - one brother stayed in Germany, the other went to the US - the stores are privately owned.

I am also a devout TJs fan - I do miss it here in Germany, but will be getting my TJs fix next week when I visit the US....also my Rubios fix, but that's another story :)

Getting back to "Aldi's" and away from "The Weather Channel" (start a new thread on climate or location, please) check out their crazy specials in their stores. While Aldi is primarily a low-priced grocery, they also sell the darnedest things weekly, everything from computers (for cheap cheap cheap) to camping gear and slow-cookers. Check out their website for the current week's and "next week's" specials on their website. I don't believe they advertise in the weekly flyers in your lcoal paper so you need to do your own research! They are actively expanding their locations throughout the country (and the WORLD). Talk to your local pol's to see about courting an Aldi's to your hometown.

WOW....Aldi's in Germany...that's a stunner for me since every one I've been to (in IN and MD) is in a modest neighborhood. The store layout fits nicely in the older smaller footprint stores abandoned by the big chains, and I am still surprised to see them building new stores in strip mall type locations. Sparky is right about the miscellaneous specials too. Aldi's could easily fit in the "Ridiculed for Being Cheap" thread as most people in my family and friends and even acquaintances give disapproving looks when I mention them.

Not only are Aldi's in The USA and Germany, but 16 other countries (so far) and counting. Here is a link to their website highlighting their locations. Click on the countries to view the wild and wacky products carried around the world!

Welcome to ALDI

Back
Top Bottom