Join Early Retirement Today

Re: All Together now,,Gas is Cheap!!
Old 07-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
A half mile from my house is a corner with three gas stations on it -- Arco, Texaco and Chevron. Normally there is about 10 cents per gallon difference in the cost between the highest and lowest and I have seen times when there was 25 cents per gallon difference. But there never seems to be a difference in how busy they are. If people won't cross the street to save 25 cents per gallon filling up their Excursion, how would you talk them into a boycot?
There go those 80%'ers again. Just think if breathing was not involuntary, how many would simply die?

SWR
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Ah yes, once again the CEO of 7/11 has gone on television (CNBC Today) bragging about how they have expanded their profit margin on a gallon of gas.
In fact he said they rapidly increase their price when oil goes up and yes-- they drag their feet when the cost comes down so as to suck as many pennies for as long as possible.
Two things bug me when I hear this:
1. Some of the biggest whiners about the cost of oil are the oil companies.* (Gee it costs us too and we don't make more money)* BS
2.The 7/11 theory of selling gas during what could be considered something of an oil crisis smacks of selling plywood at inflated prices when a hurricane approaches.

Now every business owes it to themselves to improve profit margins where they can, but this particular method has a bit of sleeze to it in my*opinion.
All in all, I suppose I should be impressed with this guys candor. So impressed I think I'll suspend my boycott of 7/11 for 15 minutes
Wow, this same 7/11 guy just rang the closing bell at the NYSE.
I swear he was mouthing the words "Thanks for the monster retirement bonus you suckers!" * or maybe he was saying- - - -
"Screw you JPatrick,,you want cheap gas from 7/11? *Come on in and try a hot dog- - -you'll have plenty of cheap gas"
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
I've seen a similar scene also.
These folks probably handle the rest of their purchases the same way.
This doesn't reflect my experience. I must either live around cost-conscious consumers. Or maybe I live in the ghetto. A while back the gas stations around here on a certain major street got into a price war apparently. The prices were a whopping $0.10 per gallon cheaper than the average gas station. The lines for these gas stations filled the gas station parking lot, and backed way up in the street. It was like they were handing out free $100 bills with every gas purchase!

Overall though, gas prices are highly inelastic. I find it strange that no matter the price, the demand doesn't really change that much. Maybe if the price goes up enough, the demand will decrease.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
They employ a lot of questionably legal aliens in my neck of the woods. In fact they just settled for 10 million for having their entire cleaning staff (in some regions) be ileagal aliens getting way below market wages. Their clothes are made in slave wage labor shops. It's that sort of thing that bothers me.
I respectfully disagree with all the talking heads pitching Walmart as an oger. Look for yourself. Go into any store, perhaps your favorite family business. You will see for the most part EXACTLY the same products. Just they are more expensive than Walmart. Not by a just a penny either. While I disagree with the Illegal alien hireing intensly, I think that if a business can streamline it's cost LEGALLY, then the rest of Big America has to get with the program or not compete at all. Everyone has the ability to be a Walmart, it is not that they are exclusively buying from China, most of America is. Those are the facts. We may not like it, but that is it.

Just like those big Auto Makers that insist on pushing 7 Litre SUVs and Trucks while fuel prices increase, pushing their financials into Junk Status, then wonder why the Asians, Hyundae and Kia etc. increase their market share.

We all assume inflation is the norm, but bringing the country back to reality, with some salary deflation, while we all would not like it, perhaps would make our products more affordable for our children. And, government should concentrate on making health care and Workmans comp more affordable so companies can make a decent (however reasonable) profit, but not at their employees expense.

Man I am up on that soap box again, sorry.

SWR
Old 07-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Come on home Shok!

The Oil Sands are the ace!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We savy ER's have 10,000 gal gas tanks in our back yards to purchase on the dip?

Right?

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh - erp!

BTY - not CHP - instead back from Walmart where prices jumped 20 cents/gal from my last fill up - probably in time for Denis.

Not being a consipiracy theorist - I know it's only coincidental.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I respectfully disagree with all the talking heads pitching Walmart as an oger. Look for yourself. Go into any store, perhaps your favorite family business. You will see for the most part EXACTLY the same products. Just they are more expensive than Walmart. Not by a just a penny either. While I disagree with the Illegal alien hireing intensly, I think that if a business can streamline it's cost LEGALLY, then the rest of Big America has to get with the program or not compete at all. Everyone has the ability to be a Walmart, it is not that they are exclusively buying from China, most of America is. Those are the facts. We may not like it, but that is it.

Just like those big Auto Makers that insist on pushing 7 Litre SUVs and Trucks while fuel prices increase, pushing their financials into Junk Status, then wonder why the Asians, Hyundae and Kia etc. increase their market share.

We all assume inflation is the norm, but bringing the country back to reality, with some salary deflation, while we all would not like it, perhaps would make our products more affordable for our children. And, government should concentrate on making health care and Workmans comp more affordable so companies can make a decent (however reasonable) profit, but not at their employees expense.

Man I am up on that soap box again, sorry.

SWR
It's okay to let it flow man! *Cut the corps. loose. *Let the free market roll.
Remove the excessive regs. and let free enterprise rule. *I think you would like the results. *The only exception I would make is if a company had a complete
monopoly on an absolutely essential product or service. *Otherwise,
let the profit motive and self interest lead the way.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
We savy ER's have 10,000 gal gas tanks in our back yards to purchase on the dip?

Right?

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh - erp!
Been there done that..... tried to time the market, filled the back yard tank (Side yard actually, "Bigger Grin") with gas at $3.00 per gallon. Now I have to hold on to it until it reaches $3.50 to sell it.

SWR
Old 07-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #29

For those who may be "exercised about China, India, Mexico, and the cheap labor/products they stand for:::Please pick up a copy of--
The World is Flat, by Thomas L. Friedman.
It is billed as a brief history of the 21st century and brings into focus the real issues of globalization.
It changed my mind about many things, but I'm still *PO'd at 7/11.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

I got Four Pillars and Birth of Plenty for my last birthday.

Is Friedman worth dropping a hint about?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Hmmm

I got Four Pillars and Birth of Plenty for my last birthday.

Is Friedman worth dropping a hint about?
Friedmann is good
I'm also 2/3 done with " The Future For Investors" by Jeremy Siegel, and it is a pretty solid investment book. I'm usually let down by these, but Jeremy has done good. Got the Merrimann book waiting in the wings. Live it Up or Something like that.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
They employ a lot of questionably legal aliens in my neck of the woods.* In fact they just settled for 10 million for having their entire cleaning staff (in some regions) be ileagal aliens getting way below market wages.* Their clothes are made in slave wage labor shops.* It's that sort of thing that bothers me.
There's also the fact that they move into small towns, bully the city management into changing zoning laws, built big ugly boxes with out of town construction labor, then put all the local businesses out of business paying rock bottom wages to their staff.* *Oh, and the various lawsuits brought by women in managment who hit glass ceilings, and were ridiculed and abused by the male management....

I'll shop at Value Village before I go to Walmart.

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
There's also the fact that they move into small towns, bully the city management into changing zoning laws, built big ugly boxes with out of town construction labor, then put all the local businesses out of business paying rock bottom wages to their staff.* *Oh, and the various lawsuits brought by women in managment who hit glass ceilings, and were ridiculed and abused by the male management....

I'll shop at Value Village before I go to Walmart.*

You forgot to say "End of Rant!"

JG
Old 07-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Sounds like capitalism at its finest to me.* There is a much better reason to boycott 7/11, however:* It is owned by Southland Corporation which is a major overt supporter of Handgun Control.* I haven't purchased anything from 7/11 in years.* *
NB: Southland Corporation changed it's name to 7-Eleven way back in April 1999.

I didn't know they were supporters of hand gun controls. If they still are then they have gone up in my estimations!!

H
Honkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
NB: Southland Corporation changed it's name to 7-Eleven way back in April 1999.

I didn't know they were supporters of hand gun controls. If they still are then they have gone up in my estimations!!

H
I would feel much safer if everyone was allowed to apply for concealed carry.
I would NEVER knowingly support any organization advocating
ANY restriction or rollback of gun rights as they exist now.
More guns = less crime. Nuff said.

JG
Old 07-12-2005, 08:32 AM   #36

We get our gas at a "cardlock" station. You apply for a card, then go to unmanned stations and use the card to get your gas (same gas as 76). Every month you get a statement, which you can have paid automatically through your credit card. The gas is generally 10 cents/gallon cheaper than surrounding stations.

Regarding Walmart: Just finished the book Nickeled and Dimed, which talks about what it's like to work at Walmart. Enjoyable read.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
There's also the fact that they move into small towns, bully the city management into changing zoning laws, built big ugly boxes with out of town construction labor, then put all the local businesses out of business paying rock bottom wages to their staff. Oh, and the various lawsuits brought by women in managment who hit glass ceilings, and were ridiculed and abused by the male management....

I'll shop at Value Village before I go to Walmart.

My guess is that Walmart uses the cheapest and best construction labor available to keep their costs down. I haven't checked lately, but I don't think the mom'n'pop general store pays its employees very well either. I do know that my consulting fees that Walmart pays for acoustical engineering and traffic engineering services are market rate. I think you might be forgetting about all of the support services that Walmart needs to build and operate its buildings and to fight of NIMBY's and detractors. Many professionals (architects included) get plenty of work from Walmart.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Sounds like capitalism at its finest to me. There is a much better reason to boycott 7/11, however: It is owned by Southland Corporation which is a major overt supporter of Handgun Control. I haven't purchased anything from 7/11 in years. Grin
Wow--imagine that!! 7/11 supporting handgun control. Gosh, I just can't imagine why they might do that? If they were truly for the constitution, they'd sell them right in a display case by the cash register--preloaded. Now that would be a true convenience store!

I know...it's all those East Indians working there. They're trying to destroy our constitution. Bet most of them are in Al Quaida.

Wow--someone actually gave me a reason to shop there. Too bad they don't have anything I want...

Bosco
Old 07-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned targeted boycotts:

See Environmental Groups Launch Exxon Boycott http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4749052
Old 07-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned targeted boycotts:

See Environmental Groups Launch Exxon Boycott http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4749052
Well that is worth a listen.* It is an example of what would be needed to launch a boycott.
Now if the subject of this action was in fact high gas prices, I think lots of folks would sign up.* As it is, these actions would likely take prices the other direction in time without any meaningful enviromental changes.*
I realize that's not what we were talking about, but the older and wiser I get the more I can see the toad through the prince makeup of the mentioned "greenie" groups.
In any case, it will be interesting to watch this effort.* Personally I would not bet on any great success.