Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
One of the posters on this thread (and fairly common in general) are waiting until they colllect at FRA 67 to have “fun money”.
If you're talking about me (perhaps you're not), I didn't mention at what age I planned on collecting, as I haven't decided yet. Besides, with a portfolio, one doesn't have to actually collect SS in order to "enjoy the extra benefits of it". Another approach would be to increase portfolio WR before collecting SS, effectively using the presence of SS in the future as "insurance".

Then there is the factor, that others have mentioned, that we all need to judge for ourselves what our wants and needs are. I'd quite like to travel a bit more in the future, but it won't kill my enjoyment of life if I don't. If I don't get to see the Great Wall of China before I *cross the rainbow bridge, or the terraced rice fields of wherever-they-are, I won't consider my retirement to have been a failure. In other words, I'm already having a good time!

*I am absolutely resolute in my desire to follow my furry gals across the rainbow bridge, because I want to see them again in the afterlife

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MT: I too intend to follow my furry babies to the Rainbow Bridge")
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #283
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
MT: I too intend to follow my furry babies to the Rainbow Bridge")
You're all going to Niagara Falls?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #284
Give me a forum ...

Yep Nemo that is right) Actually I have my dogs cremated when they die and when I die my DH will put their ashes in with mine. They will be interred with me. Just call me the crazy dog woman.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #285
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Yep Nemo that is right) Actually I have my dogs cremated when they die and when I die my DH will put their ashes in with mine. They will be interred with me. Just call me the crazy dog woman.
There are lots of crazier things than that...in fact I don't think it's crazy at all...........now, going to Niagara Falls, that's crazy.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #286
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wasn’t referring to you. Your outline is exactly what I meant as the preferred parh. Spend at ER as if you were already getting your SS amount and enjoy it up front. If you die before you collect, well you’re dead, so it matters not. Once you file and collect SS then you naturally no longer have to withdraw that amount so your WR drops that amount. It is just an annuity and the cost of the increased SS annuity is the SS payments your forgo in order to delay. As long as you have adequate reserve for a livable WR after paying to delay filing then you are all set. Nothing new , it has been discussed often on this forum.

Going TO Niagara Falls is not crazy....going over it is!
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #287

*I am absolutely resolute in my desire to follow my furry gals across the rainbow bridge, because I want to see them again in the afterlife [/

Oh yes, I just lost my little girl, you could not image a sweeter, more loving little kitty and smart too. I do want to be with her again. (They each have their own special personality I know . . . ) Miss her so much.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
(They each have their own special personality I know . . . ) Miss her so much.
Yes, they are all so different and unique! I had one who died unexpectedly, when quite young, and in a rather upsetting way. I was only with her for a couple of years. We didn't get the chance to truly bond and spend enough time together. When I pass into the next life, I'll be looking out for all my furry companions, and most definitely keeping an eye out for her.

I know this seems a bit dotty to some, but it gives me some comfort.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I wasn’t referring to you.
Aaah, OK. My misunderstanding - and agreed with everything else you posted.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #290
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
They're floating the idea of reducing 401k contribution to $2400.00 max per year to pay for the tax cut. Truth is stranger than fiction.
Seems that has been called out as more "fake news".
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote