Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You had to sign up for it by Oct 21.
I enrolled today. They are probably extending the deadline daily.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Believe me I get your skepticism. I even asked that specific question and they still said yes, you will still get the bonus. I will share the email response when I get it.

In my case I think I'm protected if they gave me inaccurate info, as I had minimal assets in the other accounts. We've been siphoning money out for some time due to their noncompetetive rates. There will be 3 debits to one of our " non bonus" accounts between now and 1-15, but I had coincidently transferred funds from checking into yet another non bonus savings on 10-14 that exceeds the amount of those auto debits, so our balances will never decrease from the net balance held on 10-12 across all accounts, plus the new money. But again, they said it didn't matter even if I did withdraw.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Here is the written response to my inquiry from Ally:

"Thank you for contacting us; I apologize for the delay in the response to your last message. Based on your recent phone conversation with our customer care representative on 10/23/2022, it appears that the issue has been resolved. We are always happy to hear from you, and we want you to know that we value your feedback and appreciate the opportunity to address this issue.

We appreciate your business and want to thank you for choosing Ally Bank. If you have any additional questions, we are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by phone, Live Chat, or Secure Messaging. Our toll-free number is 1-877-247-ALLY (2559) or you can visit us online at ally.com."

So we are good I believe, although I never actually transferred funds out of Ally after 10-12 in order to transfer them back in for the bonus. I found it interesting that they went back to our phone conversation to verify that I had gotten the correct answer.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #123

Quote:

"Thank you for contacting us; I apologize for the delay in the response to your last message. Based on your recent phone conversation with our customer care representative on 10/23/2022, it appears that the issue has been resolved. We are always happy to hear from you, and we want you to know that we value your feedback and appreciate the opportunity to address this issue.

We appreciate your business and want to thank you for choosing Ally Bank. If you have any additional questions, we are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by phone, Live Chat, or Secure Messaging. Our toll-free number is 1-877-247-ALLY (2559) or you can visit us online at ally.com."

So we are good I believe, although I never actually transferred funds out of Ally after 10-12 in order to transfer them back in for the bonus. I found it interesting that they went back to our phone conversation to verify that I had gotten the correct answer.
I think you are probably good, but from reading their canned response, I'm not certain that they actually READ the call transcript and agreed with it OR they just see that you were able to get through to the call center and assume it was taken care of. They certainly didn't answer your question in writing.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:36 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Thanks for getting back. My personal take is this is a canned response as they completely avoided and never restated the question or actual answer to it.

After seeing several opinions on different sites and reading the T&C my take is that all existing funding as of the start of the promo 10/12 date under a specific SS# in one of the eligible accounts (e.g. savings, CD) will be considered for the amount they use to calculate what deposits originally existed. Then any new deposit amounts added to the account you sign up and make eligible for the promo and leave in the account for the entire promo will get the 1% bonus.

In my particular case by my adult child coincidentally reducing the account savings balance in our joint account my sense is this amount will be subtracted from whatever I add to my solo savings account as part of the promo.

So for example, if $30K was reduced from the joint account this $30K will be subtracted from say the $50K I add as part of the promo to my personal account for a net of only $20K that will get the 1% bonus.

This is assumming I left that entire $50K and any other money that existed at the start of the promo in for the entire period through 1/15/2023 and didn't make any other withdrawals (outside of say from my checking account which doesn't apply to the restrictions).

Would like to be incorrect but just can't see them allowing individuals with joint accounts to reduce the balance on one hand and then add money to another account that has the same SS# and be eligible for the new deposit promo bonus. Just my take.
bpgdeg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Another question:

So Ally now has a 2.75% 11-month No Penalty CD. If you signed up for the 1% promo on your existing Ally Savings account and added $50K for the promo but then decided to open a new NP CD and transfer that $50K from the Ally Savings into that NP CD does this now disqualify the bonus? Thanks in advance for any perspectives.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:34 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgdeg1234 View Post
Another question:

So Ally now has a 2.75% 11-month No Penalty CD. If you signed up for the 1% promo on your existing Ally Savings account and added $50K for the promo but then decided to open a new NP CD and transfer that $50K from the Ally Savings into that NP CD does this now disqualify the bonus? Thanks in advance for any perspectives.
That's a good question. I thought of the same thing. I'll probably just leave my money in the MM account and not chance it. The difference in interest is about $50 over the term of the deal.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:24 AM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
That's a good question. I thought of the same thing. I'll probably just leave my money in the MM account and not chance it. The difference in interest is about $50 over the term of the deal.
I chatted with an Ally CSR and she indicated that unless the NP CD was opened by the 10/26 date that I couldn't open it now and transfer the new money I just transferred over to my savings account as part of the promo into this newly opened NP CD and realize the bonus.

As such, it's not worth the risk of trying to do this so we're just gonna leave the new money in the original savings account I referenced when I signed up for the promo throughout the 1/15 term.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:15 PM   #128

Ally Update:
Your Online Savings Account rate is increasing from 2.35% to 2.50% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on all balance tiers. Your new APY goes into effect on 11/02/2022, and will appear in your account on 11/03/2022.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:59 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
My Ally account now pays an interest rate of 3% APY. That, in addition to the 1% of $50K, makes this an even sweeter deal for those who hopped on this wagon on time.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:02 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
My Ally account now pays an interest rate of 3% APY. That, in addition to the 1% of $50K, makes this an even sweeter deal for those who hopped on this wagon on time.
Yes it does. Hopefully more is coming.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:07 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

And remember that Capital One is also offering a bonus of up to $1,000. again.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
And remember that Capital One is also offering a bonus of up to $1,000. again.
I'm thinking about doing that one next year (assuming they offer it).

I did a Discover savings ($450 for $50,000). That one has no retention period. I opened an account online, moved $50,000, got the $450 the day after the deposit posted and moved the money back out a few days later. My money was tied up for maybe 10 days. I think it's up to $500 now (check Doctor of Credit).