Ally bank

trapperjohn

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone use Ally Bank for their primary or everyday checking account, bill pay, etc?

If so, how do you like it? Are there things that frustrate you about it?

I do.
No problems. Or at least no different than my previous checking account.

I like the 0.6% interest rate and I use Ally for savings and a CD ladder.

I guess not having physical branches... but I haven't used those is years anyway.

Mostly I use a credit card for pretty much everything and pay it off. The few times I've needed service it's been pretty fast and easy....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I don't use Ally for my primary checking/cash management account but I would.

The only reason I don't now is because of inertia. I have a number of things linked to an older bricks and mortar account that I'd need to change. Also, that account does everything I need it to so no real reason to switch.

But I've had accounts with Ally for years and am perfectly happy with them for everything.

I use Everbank - similar to Ally with good rates, and they do have a few branches if I ever really needed... But with a phone app for the occasional physical check to deposit, and really good friendly US service reps, I've never gone in person at all.

I wanted to open a new account with my Chase bank recently and the only option was to go in person... so they didn't get my account.

I don't need them for checking as I have several already, including some with no brick and mortar office anywhere close. I do have a high yield savings account with Ally Bank.

Mobile deposits are a wonderful thing. I only go to the bank to visit my safety deposit box these days.

And I now have a couple of ATM cards that reimburse fees, so I don't even have to visit my bank for that anymore to avoid fees.

Gosh, if it weren't for the safety deposit box, I don't think I'd visit my bank at all!

Last edited:
Gosh, if it weren't for the safety deposit box, I don't think I'd visit my bank at all!

I can't tell you the last time I was in a bank - probably between 5 and 10 years ago. Rarely even need ATM machines these days when in the U.S.

I use these internet banks because of their higher interest rates, but I do have my checking account at a local brick and mortar bank down the street to satisfy my illusion of personal attention. Also, for some reason, I am reluctant to use an ATM, and prefer to go inside and up to the RPG-proof window the few times a year that I need cash.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom