Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #161
Confused about dryer sheets

I didn’t really come here looking for marital advice, though I am glad that so many of you were willing to share. Caroline your message was a good one. I can tell you put some thought into it and I think you are right. My job would be lousy regardless of my personal situation. I have always put myself in challenging situations, whether at school, at work, trying to win the girl, etc. Maybe the core of the issue is no one in my family really cares too much about money. They’ve never lived without it so to them it seemingly grows on trees. For too long, I have just made making the money my problem. The family has all they need and most of what they want. For them, the money just appears with little thought as to how it got here. Maybe I should work less so I can do other things… perhaps I should be doing a lot less.

A couple people asked why I could join my wife and family on the Monday night activity. I get home pretty late. The activity last about 2 hours… by the time I get home, changed clothes and ate quickly there would be little time left to join them. If my wife were to stay home a couple of times a year, I would make it a point to take off early so we could enjoy the two hours together.

As for the person who asked if I could divorce now and not lose anything, I think the question is moot. I would lose something… my wife. However, if 10 or 15 years from now one of my children wants to marry, I will make sure they know all of the facts before doing so. Unless their soon to be spouse is as ambitious as they are, they need to tread carefully. All agreements have repercussions, be it the cell phone contract, the mortgage on your home, an employment agreement or an agreement to be bound by the changing marital laws of the state. This leads me to my next point … which I am many female posters on this board (and fathers with daughters) may disagree with.

I was reading the Wall Street Journal this weekend and came across a letter that someone had written about an earlier article. The article was about how women are deferring childbirth until much later now that they can ‘freeze their eggs’. Supposedly, women in their 50’s can now get pregnant with this method, allowing them to work and have a very successful career, then after they have done that, they can have children. This sounds like a solid use of scientific advancements to make the world better for everyone. The women who wrote the letter to the WSJ said that a better solution is to teach young boys the value of working and marrying. I couldn’t help but cringe.

On a similar thread, about two months ago, writer Jeffrey Zaslow wrote a piece about how his daughter’s boyfriend didn’t take his daughter to homecoming.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119387563623178398.html

At the end of the article, he asks that boys learn to be more ‘respectful’. When I finished reading the article, I felt that to him, respect means his daughter’s boyfriend acquiescing to his daughter’s needs and desires. I am sure that in a perfect would his view of the world would be ideal, but I will not be making such suggestions to my children.

I felt these two stories are relevant because many of the responses from the board fall on the side of my continuing to work… working in a less stressful environment, working part time, working from home, etc. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I think that feeling is strongest for divorced/single females in the group (as is their predictions of my wife wanting to divorce me). I feel it is almost as strong for males who themselves have supported a ‘loving wife,’ whom they have provided for while they work toward FIRE until their late 50’s. There aren’t many 30 somethings in this group and even fewer 20 somethings. I wish there were. I definitely feel a sexist bent on some of the recommendations. Someone mentioned that they learned a lot about social attitudes on this board from this thread, especially those directed at others who the writer referred to as ‘trapped’. I learned a lot too. Whether the trapped or sexist thing is true or not, I still appreciate all of the feedback which has given me a lot to chew on.

I laughed when I read the RV comment as selling our stuff and buying an RV is our plan. Forest River makes a beautiful three bedroom ‘fifth wheel’ RV that we were planning on buying and living in indefinitely. With recent advances in online schooling, this is quite feasible, but contrary to what many may believe, it is an extremely expensive. It is in the plans if I continue to work. Of course, the kids will need to be on board and I’m not sure my oldest will be ready to just hit the road in the middle of high school.

Someone surmised I had $1M… not quite there. The FIRE plan has only been in place for a few years, so it will be sometime (at least 5 years). Having a family of four, you don’t even need to run any numbers… it obviously isn’t enough unless we choose a life of destitution.

I do appreciate all the feedback. I originally came here looking to see if anyone has done anything about the fact that marital assets accrue to both parties no matter who does what. It sounds like the answer is no. The solution is simply to deal with that fact or work less… with the added notion that my job may be so poor that working less would have a lot more benefit than simply leveling the playing field a little bit.

I knew there were some smart people on these boards. Thank you again for your input.
HK1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK1970 View Post
Maybe the core of the issue is no one in my family really cares too much about money.
Maybe the core of the issue is with you. Change what you can, accept what you cannot.

Quote:
As for the person who asked if I could divorce now and not lose anything, I think the question is moot. I would lose something… my wife.

And your kids, most likely.

Quote:
I originally came here looking to see if anyone has done anything about the fact that marital assets accrue to both parties no matter who does what. It sounds like the answer is no.
It depends on the state. If you're so damn foolish as to care more about the accrual of marital assets than the marriage itself, consider checking out all 50 states' laws. I think a few have laws that are more similar to what you think is fair. Then all you have to do is convince your wife and kids to move to one of those states without telling them the reason why.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't believe I saw this mentioned, but a truly OCD person would not allow cat hair, junk, etc. to pile up on the rug or have dirt anywhere. Think more like "Monk." I am OCD - which means lining pens and pencils in a row, desk drawers that are really neat and constantly having to fight the urge to clean up everywhere I am. At home, we compromised, as my wife would probably never be able to keep clean to my standards - we hired a cleaning service. She has her own career, but that really isn't relevent - even if she cleaned full time it probably wouldn't be good enough for me. Is the cleaning service perfect - by no means - but the are a lot more thorough than we would be. And that's not even mentioning the other "interesting" characteristics of a really OCD person.

For divorces, think more like 70% going to her, to include any retirement accounts, future earnings, etc. There have been several articles recently showing how much the pendulum has swung and clearly the stay at home person gets a much better deal these days. For the working spouse, especially with children and when there is a lopsided income stream, it's totally devastating.

People in their 50's having kids? Happens a lot now, know some of them myself. We had kids in our early 20's - I can't even imagine trying to keep up with kids in your 60's, which you would be when they are teens. And what's the likelihood you will die or become incapactitated before they reach 20?? It's hard enough taking care of elderly parents when your own kids are grown. Think of someone in their 30's trying to raise a family having to also take care of 80+ year old parents. That's just plain selfish and and more money-grubbing talk. Somehow, it all seems to come back to the money. Contrary to popular belief, it really doesn't buy you happiness. It can buy a nice lifestyle, but that doesn't equate to true happiness.

I saw an orginal expression of love - if that's still strong, then the rest can be worked out. After 38 years of marriage, you realize that the rest is all minor if you really love each other.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #164
Dryer sheet wannabe

I came to this forum to learn about FIRE and amazingly at threads like this I learn about life from incrediblly smart people. I read and re-read the reply in my situation and look at thing in different perpective... Thanks very much... Please keep up the good work. You're helping a widow to get stronger.
qbkatran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Still not sure this isn't a troll. However, if not, IMHO the OP is already psychologically divorced with his focus on "marital assets" and not "how could we improve our marriage." I wonder if he begrudges ballet classes or soccer team expenses?

So sad that he plans to tarnish his children's future marriages by telling them "they need to tread carefully" if their future spouses' ambitions don't match theirs (what if the future spouses are MORE ambitious? Will he talk to them instead of his children?). However, our children learn from us by example whether we want them to or not, and his children will learn that their father valued money over loving his family. They will either unwittingly copy him or go completely opposite.

Wow do I appreciate my DH....

My favorite from his latest post:

"A couple people asked why I could join my wife and family on the Monday night activity. I get home pretty late. The activity last about 2 hours… by the time I get home, changed clothes and ate quickly there would be little time left to join them. If my wife were to stay home a couple of times a year, I would make it a point to take off early so we could enjoy the two hours together."

So you couldn't get home early just to enjoy your kids' activity one night a week but you could get home early if your wife would forego volunteering for it. Like someone said earlier, what about Tuesday night? Wednesday night Here's a crazy idea--if you really wanted to, you could go straight from work and change clothes and stop and get a burger with them AFTER the event. Parents with all levels of jobs do that all the time.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Still not sure this isn't a troll. However, if not, IMHO the OP is already psychologically divorced with his focus on "marital assets" and not "how could we improve our marriage." I wonder if he begrudges ballet classes or soccer team expenses?
The OP is ALREADY "divorced in his mind", he just hasn't filed yet.........

Quote:
So sad that he plans to tarnish his children's future marriages by telling them "they need to tread carefully" if their future spouses' ambitions don't match theirs (what if the future spouses are MORE ambitious? Will he talk to them instead of his children?). However, our children learn from us by example whether we want them to or not, and his children will learn that their father valued money over loving his family. They will either unwittingly copy him or go completely opposite.
Yes, that was a hugely selfish statement. Seems like misery needs company..........

Quote:
"A couple people asked why I could join my wife and family on the Monday night activity. I get home pretty late. The activity last about 2 hours… by the time I get home, changed clothes and ate quickly there would be little time left to join them. If my wife were to stay home a couple of times a year, I would make it a point to take off early so we could enjoy the two hours together."

I have spent so much time at my kid's events coming from work in a suit that other parents give me a hard time about it........and I take that as a compliment........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #167

I feel that I spend plenty of time with my children as a parent with a full time job and a long commute. I spend every single weekend doing something with the kids... either hiking, fishing, playing ball in the yard, swimming, etc. I was able rearrange my hours one day a week to coach a football team for the past three seasons. Rushing to get to the activity on Monday night isn't necessary in order to spend more time with the kids. The kids are there the other days of the week and as a working parent I think I spend an average amount of time with them... maybe even above average when you include things like coaching a football team. The point of my sharing the Monday issue with the group was to point out the difficulty of finding alone time with my wife... it could have been easy if we used a couple of those Mondays to take advantage of the built in babysitting.

I was simply suggesting that I wanted more than just the average amount of time that a workaday Dad spends with his kids. That the amount of time that a 'working parent' spends with their children isn't enough in my opinion, especially when both parents are capable of earning a decent income. I want to teach the kids how a man reasons and how to problem solve. I want to help with their homework and volunteer at their schools. As the husband of a professional women who has had the opportunity to stay home for 10 years to raise the children, I don't think the request is unduly burdensome or unreasonable.

Also, why isn't trying to arrange a date with my spouse on an occassional Monday when the kids are occupied considered 'working to improve the marriage?' That was the point of my asking if she could stay home on a couple of Mondays during the year... quiet time for us.

Lastly, I won't be having "tread lightly" conversations with my boys' potential spouses if they are more ambitious than my kids. Their fathers likely told them that already.
HK1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I originally came here looking to see if anyone has done anything about the fact that marital assets accrue to both parties no matter who does what. It sounds like the answer is no. The solution is simply to deal with that fact or work less… with the added notion that my job may be so poor that working less would have a lot more benefit than simply leveling the playing field a little bit.
Others have said about your lack of concern for your kids Monday night...

And others have said you already are split or divorced in your mind... so no more from me...

BUT, to answer your last comment... (even though someone said about this also).... YOUR TO LATE...

The state takes a dim view of you being in a marriage and only one getting the fruits of that marriage.. if you had a prenup you could protect your assets prior to marriage easier... and you could even have an agreement that said how assets were to be divided during the marriage...

NOW, you want to go back and say KINGS X... our marriage is not what I hoped it would be so later on IF I decide to leave you, I want to be able to take all the money and leave you and the kids in the poor house... (yea, I might give you a bit, only if it does not interfere with my ER)... so go ask your wife to PLEASE sign this contract and let ME have all the power... and I can decide if we should stay together or not...

As someone that I work with would say "Good luck with that"....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #169
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I didn’t really come here looking for marital advice, though I am glad that so many of you were willing to share. Caroline your message was a good one. I can tell you put some thought into it and I think you are right. My job would be lousy regardless of my personal situation. I have always put myself in challenging situations, whether at school, at work, trying to win the girl, etc. Maybe the core of the issue is no one in my family really cares too much about money. They’ve never lived without it so to them it seemingly grows on trees. For too long, I have just made making the money my problem. The family has all they need and most of what they want. For them, the money just appears with little thought as to how it got here. Maybe I should work less so I can do other things… perhaps I should be doing a lot less.

A couple people asked why I could join my wife and family on the Monday night activity. I get home pretty late. The activity last about 2 hours… by the time I get home, changed clothes and ate quickly there would be little time left to join them. If my wife were to stay home a couple of times a year, I would make it a point to take off early so we could enjoy the two hours together.

As for the person who asked if I could divorce now and not lose anything, I think the question is moot. I would lose something… my wife. However, if 10 or 15 years from now one of my children wants to marry, I will make sure they know all of the facts before doing so. Unless their soon to be spouse is as ambitious as they are, they need to tread carefully. All agreements have repercussions, be it the cell phone contract, the mortgage on your home, an employment agreement or an agreement to be bound by the changing marital laws of the state. This leads me to my next point … which I am many female posters on this board (and fathers with daughters) may disagree with.

I was reading the Wall Street Journal this weekend and came across a letter that someone had written about an earlier article. The article was about how women are deferring childbirth until much later now that they can ‘freeze their eggs’. Supposedly, women in their 50’s can now get pregnant with this method, allowing them to work and have a very successful career, then after they have done that, they can have children. This sounds like a solid use of scientific advancements to make the world better for everyone. The women who wrote the letter to the WSJ said that a better solution is to teach young boys the value of working and marrying. I couldn’t help but cringe.

On a similar thread, about two months ago, writer Jeffrey Zaslow wrote a piece about how his daughter’s boyfriend didn’t take his daughter to homecoming.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119387563623178398.html

At the end of the article, he asks that boys learn to be more ‘respectful’. When I finished reading the article, I felt that to him, respect means his daughter’s boyfriend acquiescing to his daughter’s needs and desires. I am sure that in a perfect would his view of the world would be ideal, but I will not be making such suggestions to my children.

I felt these two stories are relevant because many of the responses from the board fall on the side of my continuing to work… working in a less stressful environment, working part time, working from home, etc. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I think that feeling is strongest for divorced/single females in the group (as is their predictions of my wife wanting to divorce me). I feel it is almost as strong for males who themselves have supported a ‘loving wife,’ whom they have provided for while they work toward FIRE until their late 50’s. There aren’t many 30 somethings in this group and even fewer 20 somethings. I wish there were. I definitely feel a sexist bent on some of the recommendations. Someone mentioned that they learned a lot about social attitudes on this board from this thread, especially those directed at others who the writer referred to as ‘trapped’. I learned a lot too. Whether the trapped or sexist thing is true or not, I still appreciate all of the feedback which has given me a lot to chew on.

I laughed when I read the RV comment as selling our stuff and buying an RV is our plan. Forest River makes a beautiful three bedroom ‘fifth wheel’ RV that we were planning on buying and living in indefinitely. With recent advances in online schooling, this is quite feasible, but contrary to what many may believe, it is an extremely expensive. It is in the plans if I continue to work. Of course, the kids will need to be on board and I’m not sure my oldest will be ready to just hit the road in the middle of high school.

Someone surmised I had $1M… not quite there. The FIRE plan has only been in place for a few years, so it will be sometime (at least 5 years). Having a family of four, you don’t even need to run any numbers… it obviously isn’t enough unless we choose a life of destitution.

I do appreciate all the feedback. I originally came here looking to see if anyone has done anything about the fact that marital assets accrue to both parties no matter who does what. It sounds like the answer is no. The solution is simply to deal with that fact or work less… with the added notion that my job may be so poor that working less would have a lot more benefit than simply leveling the playing field a little bit.

I knew there were some smart people on these boards. Thank you again for your input.

I’m sure what I will say will rub many on this board the wrong way but I'll post anyway cause it seems this board is heavily skewed in a sexist / one sided manor.

In your situation I feel you just have someone who doesn’t see eye to eye with you. Many people view marriage in different lights (sexual, religious, monetary, etc). I would say that each one is extremely important and it would be hard to stay with someone who was so disconnected with your beliefs of marriage as I see here.

My parents have been happily married for over 30 years and they see eye-to-eye on all the things posted above. I was told from my parents (BOTH) to find someone with my same interests because otherwise my life would be a living hell. I agree 100% after seeing so many friends relationship not even come close to how happy my parents are. They have MAYBE argued 10 times in my whole life (30 years). And to those who say they argue in private, I would say they obviously don’t know my parents.

There are SOO many people that get married only later to say , "If only I had thought this way before I got married". I also think that MOST of these posts that you’re getting HK1970 are from women only talking from 1 side. Caring for children does not mean not spending time with your husband. Its not an either or selection. I would like to hear HK1970's wife side of the story also.
EarlyRetiree1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRetiree1978 View Post

There are SOO many people that get married only later to say , "If only I had thought this way before I got married". I also think that MOST of these posts that you’re getting HK1970 are from women only talking from 1 side. Caring for children does not mean not spending time with your husband. Its not an either or selection. I would like to hear HK1970's wife side of the story also.
I don't see it as an either or answer.... there should be kid time and adult time... and taking the wife on a date is great... more people should do it. But, the OP talks out of both sides of his mouth... he wants more time with his wife, but does not want her to have any money if they divorce.. you take the whole package IMO.

SO, he either needs to have a heart to heart and say 'GET A JOB' or I am out of here... OR suck it up and live like he is now... but it does not seem like his wife is unreasonable as they save a huge amount of their money...

Nothing is perfect... we all make compromises... the question is can he make one and stay married... his hair brained suggestion is a non-starter... I don't know of a single woman who would give up her rights in a marriage... NONE, ZIP, ZILCH...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #171

In order to minimize losses... I recommend the following:

1) Remove wife from financial picture

2) Move to another state that does not have permanent alimony and community property laws

3) Put assets in your name only. I think a trust can protect them from your wife. Or transfer assets to a third party (aka parent).

4) Tell her she needs to get a job or you will walk.

5) Once she gets a job... divorce, divorce, divorce!

Remember, the most valuable asset you have is future earnings. That is why you have to avoid paying alimony at all costs. If you can, try to get her formally diagnosed with a mental disorder. It will help your case when your case when you fight for your kids (you are, afterall, the better parent). And, before people start on this... If child custody was not already biased he would not have to resort to this to level the playing field. Blame the system.

Finally, his wife is not a good wife. She is not supporting him. She barely can even take care of the house which is something he could outsource for pennies. YES, they do have different goals. However, the only reason why the wife does not support his goals is because she has already retired. She does not give a damn about HIS retirement. Why would she? From the sounds of it she is just trying to leach until the kids are older and then she will rape him court with a divorce.

The way it is now he barely even gets real quality time with her so they might as well not even be married. As soon as he gets this leach off his back he will probably be able to spend more time with his kids too. They are becoming the age where a relationship with their father is very, very important. It is a win-win.

After the divorce, if you want, you can still live together and do the two parent thing raising the kid. Now though she will not have a claim to your assets.
GP0S3Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #172
Moderator Emeritus

I think several people suggested they go to counseling if he still loves his wife (either together or him alone) but that doesn't seem to be an option for OP for some reason. It would be valid to discuss with a counselor his feeling that they don't seem to share the same goals anymore and why or why not.

But we cannot know both sides of this story, so good luck. Probably better to get started on your new life sooner rather than later. Kudos for coaching the kids.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP0S3Y View Post

1) Remove wife from financial picture

2) Move to another state that does not have permanent alimony and community property laws

3) Put assets in your name only. I think a trust can protect them from your wife. Or transfer assets to a third party (aka parent).

4) Tell her she needs to get a job or you will walk.

5) Once she gets a job... divorce, divorce, divorce!

Remember, the most valuable asset you have is future earnings. That is why you have to avoid paying alimony at all costs. If you can, try to get her formally diagnosed with a mental disorder. It will help your case when your case when you fight for your kids (you are, afterall, the better parent). And, before people start on this... If child custody was not already biased he would not have to resort to this to level the playing field. Blame the system.

Finally, his wife is not a good wife. She is not supporting him. She barely can even take care of the house which is something he could outsource for pennies. YES, they do have different goals. However, the only reason why the wife does not support his goals is because she has already retired. She does not give a damn about HIS retirement. Why would she? From the sounds of it she is just trying to leach until the kids are older and then she will rape him court with a divorce.

The way it is now he barely even gets real quality time with her so they might as well not even be married. As soon as he gets this leach off his back he will probably be able to spend more time with his kids too. They are becoming the age where a relationship with their father is very, very important. It is a win-win.

After the divorce, if you want, you can still live together and do the two parent thing raising the kid. Now though she will not have a claim to your assets.

Don't do this.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP0S3Y View Post
I think we've found our troll.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm late to this party, but since you mentioned you were hoping for some responses from the 20 and 30-somethings...

I happen to think the way assets get split in many divorces is far from fair. And I've seen first-hand how among my circle of acquaintances, men seem to get the shaft more often in the post-divorce asset game. That said, I don't think it matters one whit for your situation, except as something to waste energy obsessing about. It's done: you're already married, and your legal-divorce-but-live-together fantasy sounds pretty unrealistic.

Here's an idea: presumably you and your wife got married because you cared about each other's happiness and wanted to share your lives together. If that's no longer the case, then go ahead and get both legally and emotionally divorced. If you want to stay together, ask her to help you. See if she can suggest ways for either of you to make changes that will improve your marriage and family. Ask her what she wants for you both (and then listen really really hard). If she cares about you, she doesn't want you to be miserable, but it also doesn't mean she agrees on what solutions are reasonable. It doesn't matter if she (or you) is right or wrong, it just matters that you can work with each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your posts I get the impression you wish you and your wife were more of a team. Yet I see you making some assumptions about what she wants, imagining out scenarios privately without sharing your thoughts with her. Get the dialog going! Counseling can help with this, but you can start by letting her into your head, instead of this board of strangers.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #176
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a bit late to the party, and I am not big on giving marital advice to people I don't really know. My comments are as follows:

(1) The grass is not always greener on the other side. If you trade out this wife there is a good chance you will remarry and end up in the same situation 10 years down the track with absolutely no chance of RE.

(2) Don't go thinking if your wife goes back to work life will be wonderful because you will have all that extra money coming in. Speaking from personal experience I can tell you your life will be become much more complicated. I went back to work 2 years ago and DH and I agree it was the worst thing I ever did even though we don't have kids. We gave away in effect our free time, as now we both rush around to do paperwork go grocery shopping in the few hours we have off.

(3) I do agree with some of what you say that kids don't appreciate the value of money. I think in many cases parents give their kids everything because of some perceived shortfall in their own childhood.

(4) I think all you really need to do is reconnect with your wife. Start date night once a week. Nominate a day and there is no excuse for either of you to make yourself unavailable. Go out for dinner, go to the movies, spend time together talking about everything but the kids. So many adults make the choice to put their kids first and forget about their spouses. Before anyone jumps on me for this comment, I am not suggesting neglecting the kids whilst the parents go out partying every night, but spend some time on your relationship.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I think we've found our troll.
or Ogre...
Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #178
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think several people suggested they go to counseling if he still loves his wife (either together or him alone) but that doesn't seem to be an option for OP for some reason. It would be valid to discuss with a counselor his feeling that they don't seem to share the same goals anymore and why or why not.
Yes, several members, including me, suggested counseling (individual and couple). OP hasn't addressed this I don't think - as if it is not an option.

Yet, given the dynamics he presents, it is likely the only option that has any chance of success here. There is significant dysfunction on both sides.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #179

Quote:
The kids are there the other days of the week and as a working parent I think I spend an average amount of time with them... maybe even above average when you include things like coaching a football team. The point of my sharing the Monday issue with the group was to point out the difficulty of finding alone time with my wife... it could have been easy if we used a couple of those Mondays to take advantage of the built in babysitting............

I was simply suggesting that I wanted more than just the average amount of time that a workaday Dad spends with his kids............

Also, why isn't trying to arrange a date with my spouse on an occassional Monday when the kids are occupied considered 'working to improve the marriage?' That was the point of my asking if she could stay home on a couple of Mondays during the year... quiet time for us............

You keep pointing out mismatches in your family as to your or your wife's or your kids' needs/wants being met or not. But you say nothing about getting professional counselling. If you are serious about solving your predicaments, go get some professional counselling. Surely you don't really think posting on this board is going to solve your difficulties?

That aside, above you say you spend "maybe above average time with your kids" But later you say you want to spend "more then the average amount of time with the kids". Get your story straight.

You ask why is trying to arrange a date with your wife not considered working on the marraige? But you seem to insist it has to be on Monday nights. Why the fixation on Monday nights, as there are six other days a week to try if Mondays do not work out. So to your way of thinking Mondays would be the logical choice. How's that working for ya? It isn't, so get dates with your wife on one or more of six other days of the week, dimbulb.

And lastly, no offense, and I know nothing about your wife's and kids' sides of the story, but from what you have said I have concluded you need to grow up and be a man. But that's only my annonymous, cyberspace, only partially-informed opinion. I could be wrong.

Cheers.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
You keep pointing out mismatches in your family as to your or your wife's or your kids' needs/wants being met or not. But you say nothing about getting professional counselling. If you are serious about solving your predicaments, go get some professional counselling. Surely you don't really think posting on this board is going to solve your difficulties?
Seems to me he hopes we come up with "something good"

Quote:
That aside, above you say you spend "maybe above average time with your kids" But later you say you want to spend "more then the average amount of time with the kids". Get your story straight.

Quote:
You ask why is trying to arrange a date with your wife not considered working on the marraige? But you seem to insist it has to be on Monday nights. Why the fixation on Monday nights, as there are six other days a week to try if Mondays do not work out. So to your way of thinking Mondays would be the logical choice. How's that working for ya? It isn't, so get dates with your wife on one or more of six other days of the week, dimbulb.
"Quiet time", or whatever folks call it, works best if there's a real babysitter that doesn't have an early bedtime", rather than kids at an activity that need to be picked up, often at an inopportune time............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote