Am I crazy for wanting the city life?

LRAO

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello again,

I am pondering a short-term (3 years) plan to get me into the city that I truly desire to live in, San Francisco.

I currently live in a suburb of LA and think that downtown LA, LA proper, and LA county in general lacks something that I can't put my finger on.

Everytime I go to the Bay Area, I feel like this is where I am supposed to be. I don't know if it's the people, weather, culture (probably a combination of all the above).

Ultimately I will retire and go live somewhere relaxing, peaceful, and reasonable in terms of cost of living.

I know that moving to the Bay Area puts me back a few years, but that is something I am willing to sacrifice.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with living in the heart of things, city life is not for everyone, but it does have a lot of plusses.

I know several people who retired from the city to a smaller community, only to move back.

Your Q seems to be more about LA vs SF, than cities vs. countryside. I lived in several places in LA, and several in the Bay Area, including SF. If you like San Francisco, but your work is in LA, consider a different LA neighborhood. West LA, Venice Beach , Santa Monica, Westwood Village maybe the old Fairfax Avenue neighborhood would be more to your liking. My favorite of all the California places I lived was Venice Beach. I haven't been there in a long time, but it was a ball then, and truly an urban neighborhood. I never left the area west of Main St, unless to go to work or get groceries. Not true in SF- I felt I had to get away sometimes- like to Mt Tam, or up I80 to Tahoe.

Some people really like Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach too.

Even Hollywood- if you can tolerate chaos- is sure diverting

Ha

Another place in Southern Cal to check out is Pasadena. It has a nice downtown, lots of cultural activities, 99 restaurants in the Old Town area alone, and good public transportation. Wife & I had figured on relocating to Morro Bay area when we retire but we are enjoying and getting very comfortable with Pasadena.
I am originally a city boy (Chicago) and I don't think I could live too rural for too long. I really like a lot about SF. My sister lived there so I got to know it a bit. But oddly enough LA really is getting more livable.

No offense to anyone, but I wouldn't be willing to live in California at all! I have lived there twice already. There will not be a third time.

But if SF is your dream location that is where you should go. Nothing will make your retirement more enjoyable than the best location for you. Other than more money. :)

Pasadena is too hot, move to Carlsbad, CA! The village is awesome, beaches are awesome, and Legoland (for the grandkids) is just around the corner. Sea World and the San Diego zoo are 30 minutes away. :)

City life is great for us, but not all cities.

We find it easier to live in the city and escape as needed to more scenic vistas. But for day to day, the plethora of stuff to do, people watch, convenient airports, etc. etc. make for good living.

Tampa has a reviving downtown, big time. St. Pete across the bay is also great for walking, grabbing lunch, maybe taking a boat of the pier for a couple hours. Cruise ships ply the bay in down town Tampa, lots of restaurants, and river walk about to be started in the next year, we hope.

Other cities have similar plans, but you just have to try it on for size. I am pretty sure city living is more expensive, but not necessarily that much more. Cheap good restaurants abound, travel cost is minimal, and shopping is probably better (not limited to wally world for cheap stuff).

I can see the allure of city life, with lots of musems, parks, shops, clubs, restaurants, etc all within walking distance, or a quick hop on a bus/subway.

I have a few friends that live in DC, and one thing I've noticed about their houses is they actually have something that I value, living out in the boonies...peace and quiet and my own private space. Even though they're in rowhouses, they still live on quiet streets with nice, private backyards, plenty of shade trees, and either private parking spots, or areas where it's not hard to find parking.

Their homes are almost like a private oasis, right in the middle of the big city. Well, okay, DC's really not THAT big!

I think I'm still too much of a country boy to ever want to live that lifestyle, but at least the city's close enough that I can do down there pretty easily when I want to.

Laurence said:
Pasadena is too hot, move to Carlsbad, CA! The village is awesome, beaches are awesome, and Legoland (for the grandkids) is just around the corner. Sea World and the San Diego zoo are 30 minutes away. :)

We thought about moving to Oceanside about three years ago since the cost of living was reasonable. Now that the cost of housing is lot more, we are less interested. Anyway, the California coast will always stay in our mind.

DanTien said:
Are you familiar with the joke - "What's the difference between LA & Yogurt?"
I was going to bring up Waikiki, but not after that rimshot!

I'll bite, what's the difference between L.A. and yogurt? One is sour and full of bacteria and the other is yogurt? :confused:

Andre1969 said:
I can see the allure of city life, with lots of musems, parks, shops, clubs, restaurants, etc all within walking distance, or a quick hop on a bus/subway.

I have a few friends that live in DC, and one thing I've noticed about their houses is they actually have something that I value, living out in the boonies...peace and quiet and my own private space.

Yep, the other DC (the one where real people work and play) has some beautiful, old, historic (and expensive) neighborhoods. I was just there for a meeting and spent alot of time admiring the grand old row houses on quiet tree-lined streets. Very peaceful despite the big city location.

Laurence said:
I'll bite, what's the difference between L.A. and yogurt? One is sour and full of bacteria and the other is yogurt? :confused:

One comes with less fruit.

I like your's better. :D

You're not crazy at all....I am presently ER'd living in the country near Austin - I love everything about my life but I'll tell you (I've told the wife many times). If I could live anywhere in the US, it would be in SF. I think it is the most fantastic city I have ever visited. I love the people, culture, climate - just everything about it.

Simple truth - I can't afford it. Maybe in my next life.....

It is a world in which the 60 year effort to restrain the number of different parties with nuclear weapons will eventually fail. The 60 year record has been extraordinary. It should not be thought of as the norm.

And it won't be farmland that is the target.

Back
Top Bottom