Join Early Retirement Today

Am I overlooking a better option?
Old 11-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Am I overlooking a better option?

Hi folks. Comcast subscriber here about to lose anti-virus protection. I was wondering if any brokerages offered both free tax software and anti-virus protection? I have under 1M in a Trowe Roth and under 500K in my Fidelity account. Any advice or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Trying to save every last penny. Thank you
AreWeThereYet0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why would you worry about thirty or forty bucks worth of software when managing a 1.5m portfolio?
Old 11-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I know.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

+2

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't accumulate that money solely on my yearly salary. Penny pinching has played a sizeable role in getting me to where I am today. Trying to avoid lifestyle creep.
AreWeThereYet0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Lots of good free antivirus out there. Tax software is cheap. I certainly would not choose a brokerage on that basis.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet0 View Post
I didn't accumulate that money solely on my yearly salary. Penny pinching has played a sizeable role in getting me to where I am today. Trying to avoid lifestyle creep.
Fair enough, but just remember that there is a very fine line between frugal and cheap.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:39 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Then do the taxes by hand.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

I have a saying when people bother me about being cheap, and I turn the tables: "A pound here and a pound there and pretty soon you are 300 pounds."

Go ahead and find cheap or free software. I'd do the same thing.
RockyMNHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi folks. Comcast subscriber here about to lose anti-virus protection. I was wondering if any brokerages offered both free tax software and anti-virus protection? I have under 1M in a Trowe Roth and under 500K in my Fidelity account. Any advice or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Trying to save every last penny. Thank you
The topic of losing Norton AV protection through Comcast is discussed here if your interested.
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...on-106620.html
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #11

The best anti-virus of 5 or so that I have used is ESET. (What I have now.)
Old 11-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yup. Me, too. Books I buy on Amazon are mostly used, items are mostly "Amazon Warehouse" customer returns, etc. But as a confirmed cheapskate I have sometimes burned myself by going the cheap course then found in the end that course cost me more.

Switching brokerages for a few pennies in freebies strikes me as risky. Cash sweep interest rates vary a lot, as do trading fees for various mutual funds. Advisors can be helpful or not. IMO some tiny free software savings should not wag the huge investment dog.

The other thing about the brokerage houses is that they are all bleeding from self-inflicted wounds suffered during the trading fee and expense ratio battles. As a result they are all looking for ways to increase revenue from customers. So whatever landscape you see now will probably change within the year. How often are you prepared to move your assets?

YMMV of course.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

So good old Fido has provided me TurboTax Premier for free download every year. You need to ask your rep what it would take to get it this year. The Norton Deluxe 360 for 1 year was offered for a buck, you could call India and ask.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Sure, why not take advantage of "free" if it is available? Makes sense to me.

But I don't see any reason to tie that to a brokerage account. Look for any source.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Good for you. It reminds me of a story I heard from my father as a kid.

A young man went to see an old rich person, asking for advice how to get rich. The old man said, "good, let me turn off the light first."
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #16

Quote:
That's two of us, and now that I can spend a lot more, I'm not spending it on something I can get free! I'm two full years into retirement and still working on finding where to spend money to enhance my joy of life.
I have Avast, Malwarebytes, IObit, and Microsoft security is running. I use PIA as my VPN which I pay a small amount for, $27 if you pay for 3 years.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #17

I use McAfee Total Protection (5 devices including phone) and it's available at Newegg now for $19.99 (1 year subscription) after promo discount. It has many useful features and you can pick and choose among them. Good savings on antivirus too. The problem with much of the freebie stuff is the constant nagging to get you to upgrade. Sometimes, the freebies are more limited in features. Anyway, YMMV.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote