Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Update:

I'm not necessarily abandoning the pizza thing but i've applied for a State position in a mental health facility and I have a phone interview with Schneider National trucking company on monday to possibly train as an OTR driver. Just wanted to let people know i'm keeping my options open and want to thank those who suggested state employment and trucking as possible careers for me to pursue.

That's awesome. Even if those don't pan out, it is worth it to keep trying. For the price of a stamp and a couple sheets of paper you get another entry into the lottery of a (relatively) sweet government job. I obtained my current government job totally cold (ie without knowing anyone at the organization, which was staffed primarily with out of staters).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Update:

I'm not necessarily abandoning the pizza thing but i've applied for a State position in a mental health facility and I have a phone interview with Schneider National trucking company on monday to possibly train as an OTR driver. Just wanted to let people know i'm keeping my options open and want to thank those who suggested state employment and trucking as possible careers for me to pursue.
Aaron - thats great news . Regardless of what happens I'm happy to see that you're looking at the possibilities. I wish you all the best and hope you find the job of your dreams.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Aaron, glad to hear you are moving forward and pursuing other options. Stay after it and I'll bet you will find something that works out much better than your current situation. Please continue to keep us posted on how things progress.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep moving forward, Aaron. Something wonderful is bound to happen.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #85

Is everyone sure Aaron is a real circumstance ....reading all of this at once is very interesting, but it doesn't sound fully cohesive.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Is everyone sure Aaron is a real circumstance ....reading all of this at once is very interesting, but it doesn't sound fully cohesive.
What in the world is this supposed to mean? Aaron is a person, not a "circumstance". I don't believe that I have ever made the acquaintance of a circumstance.

Ha
Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can assure you i'm a real circumstance person
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #88

I don't see whether or not aaron has been circumstanced is relevant to this discussion...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Maybe Aaron is playing the long game on us? Joined suspiciously 6.5 years ago, posts 1500 times, and now he pulls these shenanigans?!?!

Or he is probably a real person like most of us here.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #90

Yeah, Fuego, guess that is my point ...seems long winded and pretty illogical taken in the whole.

Am sure he's a real person. Does seem to have a lot of issues without real direction to resolve.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Stephenson, perhaps you are sort of "coming in in the middle of the story" when it comes to Aaron.

Aaron is a real person, with real problems, which he approaches with careful logic that he has explained in posts throughout the years. His frugality and attempts to get his life together at a young age are exceptional. He contributes substantially to our forum.

That is quite unlike some other members....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
So, can I claim to be semi-retired at age 33?
Aaronc879, congrats man! Yes, you are semi-retired. You have done really well to get to this point at 33. I'm 36 and my target for ESR is by age 45.

I haven't read all the posts on here yet, but it appears people are giving you a hard time. You might want to check out the "early retirement extreme" (ERE) forums, as I think you will get a lot more encouragement there.

I think what you have accomplished is more in tune with those that want ERE as opposed to a more traditional early retirement, discussed on here. I doubt I am telling you anything new. I think you have been here a lot longer than I have, and I just lurk 99% of the time anyway.

Again, congrats on your accomplishment!
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
I haven't read all the posts on here yet, but it appears people are giving you a hard time.
"People"? I see only one on this particular thread, and I don't recall anything but helpful advice and encouragement other than that one exception.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #94

What type of statement is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #95

Quote:
...snip....reading all of this at once is very interesting, but it doesn't sound fully cohesive.
Life cohesive in one's early 30's? Good Luck!
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes I don't feel like a real circumstance, but I just lie down for a while until I am.