Am I working too much?

It always seems to me that the hardest part of a "retirement" job is the lack of flexibility - but it sounds like this part time work gives you as much flexibility as you could want. You can choose shifts and take extended trips if you want. You probably don't need to work, but the money gives you some nice cushion or allows for a few extra splurges. And it sounds like you enjoy the professional interaction, the ability to stay current and the opportunity to mentor the younger doctors.

So no, I don't think you need to work, but it sounds like a pretty good arrangement and you may want to keep at it until you no longer find it rewarding.

My younger colleagues very much appreciate my knowledge and experience. They know I am happy to answer questions and share my expertise with them and they're very comfortable coming to me for my input.

This is a great aspect to have. During my "glide path" to retirement, I increased my mentoring of younger colleagues, and of those new to our organization, and they appreciated it (at least they did not run out of a room screaming when I entered :D).

Do the 8 hours a week get in the way of hobby or travel? Can you take off for 3 months and travel abroad with no issues if you wanted to? I’ve been retired 5 years and would never consider work of any kind because I don’t want any commitment and I like to take off in a whim? No amount of money will change that for me unless someone wants to pay me for my opinions or insights.

attachment.php

These images can help put things in perspective....

View attachment 46861

Last edited:
Do the 8 hours a week get in the way of hobby or travel? Can you take off for 3 months and travel abroad with no issues if you wanted to?
Currently I'd say the work does not interfere with hobby or travel time. For example, during the spring and early summer, I intentionally didn't pick up Saturday morning shifts so that I was free to go to yard sales to shop for my ebay business. Once we got into late June and July, I went back to working Saturdays as it's too hot for yard sales.

There is technically a requirement for per diems to work at least 24 hours every 12 weeks but having now been at the job for over 7 years and very well-respected there, if I went in and said, "Hey, we're taking a 3-month cruise so I can't work at all during that time but I'll be back" I'm 100% sure they would be fine with that. We are chronically short-staffed as it is. They wouldn't want to lose me. They were thrilled when I gave notice to drop to per diem that I wasn't leaving entirely.

I don't think you're working too much unless you and/or your family think you are.

I also don't think there's much difference between an 8 hour shift once a week, and a 4 hour once a week. You're still getting ready, going to work, and reserving that day for it.

And you enjoy it. So no need to drop it unless it's an interference, or you dread the days you have to go there.

I don't think you're working too much unless you and/or your family think you are.

I also don't think there's much difference between an 8 hour shift once a week, and a 4 hour once a week. You're still getting ready, going to work, and reserving that day for it.

And you enjoy it. So no need to drop it unless it's an interference, or you dread the days you have to go there.
Thanks. Just to be clear, I don't do an 8-hr shift. I do two 4-hr shifts, so switching to just one would mean working 1 day a week instead of 2. Still a fairly minor distinction. A few weeks in the past year I've only worked one day, and a few weeks I didn't work at all. Like when my wife had surgery in December I didn't work for a couple of weeks, or when she landed in the hospital again in March I didn't work for a couple of weeks. And a couple of times there just haven't been any shifts that I really wanted so I went 10 or 12 days without working.

Thank you to all who responded. Pretty much confirmed my own thinking but sometimes it's just nice to get some impartial opinions.

Currently I'd say the work does not interfere with hobby or travel time. For example, during the spring and early summer, I intentionally didn't pick up Saturday morning shifts so that I was free to go to yard sales to shop for my ebay business. Once we got into late June and July, I went back to working Saturdays as it's too hot for yard sales.

There is technically a requirement for per diems to work at least 24 hours every 12 weeks but having now been at the job for over 7 years and very well-respected there, if I went in and said, "Hey, we're taking a 3-month cruise so I can't work at all during that time but I'll be back" I'm 100% sure they would be fine with that. We are chronically short-staffed as it is. They wouldn't want to lose me. They were thrilled when I gave notice to drop to per diem that I wasn't leaving entirely.

Then I say definitely keep the job. You’re doing something great for other people; it’s keeping you mentally and professionally engaged and not affecting the quality of your life or how you want to spend your time in retirement. Sounds like a win win to me.

First thing I'd do in your shoes: Get out of NJ as fast as possible. I say this as a NJ resident. Really. This is one of the absolute worst states to be in from a tax perspective. Once you did that, you'd be well under 4% and could retire the day after.

Of course, it sounds like you like what you do, so.... <shrug>

Since I have no set schedule and can work as much or as little as I want to, I was just wondering if 8 hrs/wk was the "right" number.

I don't think this is the best question to ask. The "right" number is whatever you want to work.

Since you enjoy working you should keep doing it. I retired at 58 and 7 months later was teaching one college class every semester hence my username. I did it for 8 years until they got rid of all the adjuncts. Now at 69 I still see clients for testing and love it. I won’t fully retire until I can’t think well enough to evaluate clients.

My understanding of SS is that your wife´s benefit adds on. I don´t see how "filing under yours¨ would be more money.

At what age are you thinking you will stop working entirely? 65? 70?

Eight hours/week sounds like it gives you enough financial boost now and time doing something you enjoy, plus keep your medical license going.
I worked on call 1-2 days per week for a few years after retirement, until I just didn't enjoy it anymore.
If signing up for shifts becomes more of a burden, then you will know your time has come to stop. Until then, do what brings joy to your life.

Wow, seems like a sweet deal, so all comes down to whether you wanna w*rk or not. Good if you do w*rk - good (or better) if you don't w*rk. Doesn't get much better when decisions are being required. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom